SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:49 AM
Tennessee
Joined Dec 2005
186 Posts
Discussion
Big Stik 40 engine size

I have the great planes arf kit. The recommended engine size is .35-.50 I currently have a ASP 61. Will this engine be to much power and nose heavy? If so I will think I will look in to going electric on the plane. Any suggestions or experience with a 61 size engine?
joallen001 is offline Find More Posts by joallen001
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2011, 11:44 AM
Dana, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
579 Posts
size of battery and placement, servo location etc. you can balance it. As far as power, that's why they have a throttle.
whitewolf is online now Find More Posts by whitewolf
Old Feb 08, 2011, 02:56 PM
USA, MN, Burnsville
Joined May 2009
184 Posts
The ASP .61 is certainly not too much for that airframe in my opinion. I would move the receiver battery all the way to the tail before moving any of the servos, but as whitewolf said that is a good option.

George
GeorgeToon is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeToon
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:08 PM
Tennessee
Joined Dec 2005
186 Posts
So I should mount the motor up and adjust the servo mounting plate based on the CG. Sounds good. I was just worried it would be nose heavy and have to put a ton of weight in the tail. I will mount it all up and see how it works out.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:05 AM
Dana, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
579 Posts
The difference in wieght of the .61 and the recommended engines isn't all that much when you take into account the 4 stroke engine weights. placing the receiver back and then moving the battery back as needed to reach the desired CG should get what you need. If you can't get the battery far enough back, then you could move the srvo tray aft as well. Another alternative to adding "dead" weight to the tail would be to increase battery capacity or size (6Vvs. 4.8V) to add working weight. A very small lead weight under the tail makes a big difference in the CG location.
whitewolf is online now Find More Posts by whitewolf
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:00 AM
USA, MI, Lansing
Joined Aug 2009
245 Posts
I have on OS 46ax on my Big Stik and I had to move the reciever battery all the way to the back by the tail. I made a hatch in the bottom of the plane so I could put it back there. I bet it will be very nose heavy with a 61 on the front but it will be a lot of fun to fly if you get it balanced.
Hewey19 is offline Find More Posts by Hewey19
Old Feb 09, 2011, 10:31 PM
Tennessee
Joined Dec 2005
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewey19 View Post
I have on OS 46ax on my Big Stik and I had to move the reciever battery all the way to the back by the tail. I made a hatch in the bottom of the plane so I could put it back there. I bet it will be very nose heavy with a 61 on the front but it will be a lot of fun to fly if you get it balanced.
Now I am confused on what to do. May just go electric on it......