HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2010, 06:27 PM
NW England
Joined Jul 2005
620 Posts
Awesome thanks kapteinkuk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapteinkuk View Post
I will do that tomorrow, now I am tired, have been making a SMD PCB layout.
ben123 is offline Find More Posts by ben123
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:23 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
A little info for those who may use specktrum equipment with V4. A loss of signal to the rx causes throttle to go to max even if throttle was off at time of signal loss. The 10 second wait for it to rebind probably isn't to bad if outdoors but its an eternity if inside.

*update*

If I had actually read the directions I might have seen where it said after setting up the model you need to rebind a second time in order to save the failsafe limits. Throttle drops to off when signal is lost now.
pug398 is online now Find More Posts by pug398
Last edited by pug398; May 01, 2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:26 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Thanks

This ESC and other I have tested uses a finite response low pass filter on the throttle.

The filter has 7 steps at the biggest difference in the throttle, less at smaller differences.
Did you mean the filter is built-in into the ESC (software / hardware based?)

Thanks

Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:13 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben123 View Post
Hello!

I've been learning Eagle and have drawn a schemetic for a small (38x31mm), single-cell, double layer, ISP pinned V4 board (modified from Thanh's work).

I've also laid out the board and connected everything (mainly for practice as it'll probably have to be all rerouted with the corrections). However please could someone check the connections, schematics, practicality of it before I go any further (buy the components, etch the board).

I've put replaced the large pots with the following ones for which I had to draw a component in Eagle :

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=177-223

I got quite confused about the connections so if someone could check it that would be awesome.

The 5v step schematic I have lifted from here :

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8999

As the power is derived from the single cell battery I've assumed the only connections needed to the motors from the controller board is the signal wire? Also the power for the rx comes straight from out of the step-up circuit, before the filter. Is this correct?

I've put the gyros on the back of the board as this seems to be how kapteinkuk and Thran had mounted their HK401 boards. I haven't designed the z-axis gyro board yet but it should be small with only the gyro and a cap on it.

The board is really untidy (names and values everywhere) as I haven't learnt how to resize and place them properly, but I just need things checking before I go any further.

There are 12 vias I'll have to drill and pin by hand but thats part of the fun I guess

Please be gentle
You can not use atmega8.
Else the schematic is OK.

The board: as long as you have control of the overlapping and clearance errors, it should be good.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:22 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
A little info for those who may use specktrum equipment with V4. A loss of signal to the rx causes throttle to go to max even if throttle was off at time of signal loss. The 10 second wait for it to rebind probably isn't to bad if outdoors but its an eternity if inside.
Spectrum radios make me nervous. The seem to forget their settings, bindings and glitch in a way you think was not possible by a spread spectrum radio link.

Futaba all the way!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:33 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran View Post
Did you mean the filter is built-in into the ESC (software / hardware based?)

Thanks

Thanh
Yes, It is software based.

The Turnigy K-force 40 is the ESC with the fastest response I have tested. It gave full throttle after the first PPM pulse. Having no filtering at all. See attachment.

However, after changing some settings it became slower than the Plush's, and changing the settings back to default did not change the respone back to original.

I will take a closer look at it when I get a new one.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:49 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
945 Posts
******* EDIT: Use the newest verson here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=798

Here is a SMD board layout.

It have all the components on the top side. It also reuses some components from the HK401B gyro.

It has a standard 3x2 ISP programming header.

I have changed the value of C7 and C9 to 47uF so it is possible to use the caps from the powerboard of the HK401B. C1, C2, C3 and C4 can also be 47uF.

The LED and potmeters is from the HK401B.

Also, if you have the older silver topped HK401B, you kan use its Atmega88. The blue topped ones has a smaller packaged Atmega88. As far as I remember, the even older gyros used a Atmega8. It can not be used.

The board has a ground plane. If it does not appear, use the RATSNEST button.
Last edited by kapteinkuk; May 12, 2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:46 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Dec 2007
417 Posts
Nice work Kaptein!
This board looks very slick. Will have to make myself a board.
outsider787 is offline Find More Posts by outsider787
Old Apr 29, 2010, 01:42 PM
Multicopter Addict
Southwest Minnesota
Joined Feb 2010
718 Posts
I just can't seem to get the toner transfer method to work for me. I'm gunna try a laser printer tonight at work if I can get to it. Was using a photocopier/laser printer at work. The toner seems to rub off way to easy after I put it on the board. Any tips or pointers out there?
braindead4554 is offline Find More Posts by braindead4554
Old Apr 29, 2010, 01:51 PM
Joined Feb 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
I want to buy one board !!!!! Who made one for me??!!

Thanks.-
pabmadi is offline Find More Posts by pabmadi
Old Apr 29, 2010, 01:52 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,709 Posts
Check out the tips on Soldering and DIY pcb in the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index Using magazine paper seems to be successful: http://www.riccibitti.com/pcb/pcb.htm
@Kapteinkuk
Thanks for the pcb layout!
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead4554 View Post
I just can't seem to get the toner transfer method to work for me. I'm gunna try a laser printer tonight at work if I can get to it. Was using a photocopier/laser printer at work. The toner seems to rub off way to easy after I put it on the board. Any tips or pointers out there?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:36 PM
Joined Feb 2009
191 Posts
Quote:
Here is a SMD board layout.

It have all the components on the top side. It also reuses some components from the HK401B gyro.

It has a standard 3x2 ISP programming header.

I have changed the value of C7 and C9 to 47uF so it is possible to use the caps from the powerboard of the HK401B. C1, C2, C3 and C4 can also be 47uF.

The LED and potmeters is from the HK401B.

Also, if you have the older silver topped HK401B, you kan use its Atmega88. The blue topped ones has a smaller packaged Atmega88. As far as I remember, the even older gyros used a Atmega8. It can not be used.

The board has a ground plane. If it does not appear, use the RATSNEST button.
What is the size of the board in mm or inches?

Thanks.-
pabmadi is offline Find More Posts by pabmadi
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:53 PM
Joined Jan 2005
7 Posts
The size of PCB is 47 mm x 55 mm.

You can use a free verison of eagle to open the schemetic file above.

Download from http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download.htm

Thanks to kapteinkuk for sharing PCB design.

Regards,

Tom
Ap98 is offline Find More Posts by Ap98
Old Apr 29, 2010, 09:02 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,682 Posts
Quote:
Spectrum radios make me nervous. The seem to forget their settings, bindings and glitch in a way you think was not possible by a spread spectrum radio link.

Futaba all the way!
I am still not sold on spektrum yet and that is why I bought the DX6i to try out.

Kaptein do you have to run the yaw gain at almost twice the others to get it to lock in? I am using +-.003 gain for the MEMS gyros. Roll and pitch are at 1/4 setting but yaw is at 3/4 setting.
pug398 is online now Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 29, 2010, 09:54 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Nov 2008
246 Posts
Question about a different motor design option - microQuad

First of all this has been a very informative and well done project which is why I am posting my question here. I like the idea that the part count is low and especially the move towards an SMD board. I had emailed Rolf asking about using pager type motors and small CW/CCW props from indoorflyer to make a palm sized quad and am seeking additional input. I have seen other posts of small quads smarty and others, but the details on the designs are either hard to locate or not complete as far as the programming - perhaps I am not looking in the correct place I would like to know if it would be possible to to adapt this design to use non-esc motors like small pager motors?

Thanks,
Mike
nanobot9000 is offline Find More Posts by nanobot9000