HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2009, 02:18 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
6 Posts
Discussion
Convert 5 wire servo to 3 wire??

Have the Parkzone Mustang and want to use my Spektrum DXi6 transmitter w/ AR6100 receiver and brushed ESC. The servo's that come stock on this aircraft have 5 wires coming out of each servo (O, Y, Blk, W, Blu) the AR6100 is three pin, is it possible to convert these 5 wire stock servos to plug into the 3 pin? Thanks!
ALF F14 is offline Find More Posts by ALF F14
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2009, 02:26 PM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
It's probably possible, though not worth the time, effort, and parts to make it work. I have never seen anyone post the directions to accomplish this. Just throw some $5 servos in it.

John
GD5015 is offline Find More Posts by GD5015
Old May 18, 2009, 02:32 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,785 Posts
I haven't tried it, but personally would say, no they can't be converted without rebuilding the electronics, it's not a case of swapping some wires.

Proper 3-wire servos and pretty cheap these days, try Giantcod, BRC Hobbies, Steve Webb Servoshop or any of the model shops.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 18, 2009, 03:48 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,349 Posts
No.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old May 18, 2009, 04:20 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
As far as I know, not worth the time.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old May 18, 2009, 09:29 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
Part of the controlling electronics are located in the receiver. Conversion would entail rebuilding the servo . Not worth the cost or effort.

BM
BillM is online now Find More Posts by BillM
Old May 19, 2009, 07:57 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Certainly.

Start with a new, good servo. Rip out the control electronics and install into the one you're looking to convert. The 5 wires are two for motor, three for the pot - the same as you'll find in the new, perfectly good servo.

.. or you could just use the new, perfectly good servo as-is..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 02, 2014, 12:01 AM
Joined Mar 2014
1 Posts
I have done it.

Through trial and error. if you open 3 wire servo. there is a small board with 5 wires. 2 wires to one moter and 3 to another. cut off board and 3 wire plug. make sure you have as much wire as you can get. then splice to the 5 wire servo. colors go: red to blue, grey to brown, orange to white, green to red, yellow to black. here is a pic of old and new.
Shidiz is offline Find More Posts by Shidiz
Old Mar 02, 2014, 11:33 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
With the current price of servos, it is really not worth upgrading or replacing 5 wire servos.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:00 AM
Joined Jun 2007
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
With the current price of servos, it is really not worth upgrading or replacing 5 wire servos.
I would say it is worthy bcz u will learn how servo elctronics work.
I hv a mini z overland truck wth 5 wires built in servo. If I can convert th built in 5 wires to 3 wires, I can use regular car ESC & radio & not to be ripped off by over expensive radio & ESC of mini z overland.

So th car would run by regular ESC wth 3 wire servo converter , & any hobby king 2.4 ghz radio.

I will try this mod soon.
congcon97 is offline Find More Posts by congcon97
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:25 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Exactly.... you can buy HXT900 servos for about $ 3.33 apiece.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:05 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by congcon97 View Post
I would say it is worthy bcz u will learn how servo elctronics work.
I hv a mini z overland truck wth 5 wires built in servo. If I can convert th built in 5 wires to 3 wires, I can use regular car ESC & radio & not to be ripped off by over expensive radio & ESC of mini z overland.

So th car would run by regular ESC wth 3 wire servo converter , & any hobby king 2.4 ghz radio.

I will try this mod soon.
When you can buy a ton of different servos for less than 5 bucks, in many sizes, it is simply not worth the effort. You are going to get a cheap HK radio anyway, so spring for a servo or two.

I think there are more and better ways to learn about servo electronics and electronics in general than trying to convert old 5 wire servos to 3 wire servos.

Per the post above where someone did it, you need, at a minimum, a servo amplifier board to put in the 5 wire servo to take the place of the servo amp that was in the original 5 wire RX.

And then the chance of the feedback pot working with that amp is an unknown. It might work and it might not work. I do not think you can buy the servo amps by themselves anywhere alone.

You would have to source the amps from new cheap servos and remove them or source them from someone's old damaged servos.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:49 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidiz View Post
Through trial and error. if you open 3 wire servo. there is a small board with 5 wires. 2 wires to one moter and 3 to another. cut off board and 3 wire plug. make sure you have as much wire as you can get. then splice to the 5 wire servo. colors go: red to blue, grey to brown, orange to white, green to red, yellow to black. here is a pic of old and new.
So you destroyed a 3 wire servo to convert a 5 wire servo to a 3 wire servo when you could have just thrown the 5 wire servo away and used the original 3 wire servo directly?

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Dec 19, 2014, 05:56 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
So you destroyed a 3 wire servo to convert a 5 wire servo to a 3 wire servo when you could have just thrown the 5 wire servo away and used the original 3 wire servo directly?

Larry
You are just the biggest people person, you big softie
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Dec 20, 2014, 05:22 AM
Joined May 2012
385 Posts
This kind of reminds me of many, many years ago before servo reversing on the radios, had to take apart servos and rewire them if you needed it to work the other direction.
I agree with just about everybodies opinion that it just isn't worth it and you really aren't learning anything about electronics per say, just some soldering practice....
If I understand Shivis you have to sacrifice a 3 wire servo to convert the 5 wire so why not just use the 3 wire as already asked a couple posts above.
Sibe is offline Find More Posts by Sibe