New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by hunterhoward23
Joined Oct 2014
222 Posts
Discussion
New Wltoys 1:12 monster truck

I thought I'd start this thread as place for information to be gathered as more comes out or if anybody gets the truck and wants to discuss it. It is the new 9115 1/12 scale monster truck from Wltoys. Here is the link to a video of it from Banggood
9115 1/12 2.4GHz 2WD Brushed RC Monster Truck RTR -Banggood.com (4 min 3 sec)
. It looks like it has pretty decent speed, suspension looks to be very good, I also noticed that it has larger tires than the previous 1/12 monster truck from Wltoys. Here is the link to it on Banggood http://m.banggood.com/9115-112-2_4GH...-p-965765.html. It is 75 bucks. Comes with a 9.6 volt 800 mah Li-ion-Fe. The website says the top speed is 40 kmh which is around 25 mph, about the same or mayb a little slower than the previous 1/12 model. It also comes in 2 color options. It has sealed ball bearings, not sure where, metal a arms, tires with foam insert, metal transmission shaft,and some other assorted metal parts. The controller is 2.4g but looks a bit toyish. Hope everyone finds this interesting and shares feedback!
hunterhoward23 is online now Find More Posts by hunterhoward23
Last edited by hunterhoward23; Jan 28, 2015 at 01:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2015, 01:30 AM
Find More Posts by Aaron qin
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
1,123 Posts
I played it, it's very powerful and suspension is much better than wltoys A9*9 series cars due to it's long suspension arm. Much bigger in size compared with WLtoys A9*9. Very compact design, makes it cool even without the body shell. But I don't like it's electric parts. welding job is needed when replace the receiver board and controller is too toyish indeed.
BTW, it's not a WLtoys.
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2015, 02:17 AM
Find More Posts by highflyguy
HighFlyGuy
United States, WV
Joined Feb 2014
537 Posts
It does look good It says it's only 2wd though

My a979 will be here in the next couple days!
highflyguy is offline Find More Posts by highflyguy
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by Stanbur
Joined Jan 2013
425 Posts
Not a bad rig for the price. It didn't appear to have the speed for much jumping, but the suspension looked very realistic in its motions. The ball bearings showed to be in the gearbox. It even looked like it tried to pull a wheelie a time or two. Dirt and rocks were seen rooster tailing off the back tires. Great camera work, that's for sure. Judicious use of metal parts. I am far from an expert, but that's my take on the video and truck.
Stanbur is offline Find More Posts by Stanbur
Old Jan 28, 2015, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by Chubbs
Fly, crash, rebuild, repeat
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
1,154 Posts
It seems to be on Banggood's mobile site, but not their desktop site. What's with that? Maybe it's just in the wrong section or something, but I can't find it under WLtoy's RC car section.

Anyways, this looks like a nice car...nicer than their 9x9 series, at least from looking at it. It also seems more price competitive. The 9x9 series were decent cars, but I always thought they were a bit overpriced for a not-quite-hobby grade, brushed car. For just $10 more, hobbyking had their 1/16 scale brushless series (though you needed a radio), and for $99 you could get into the Dromida cars/trucks, which had better local parts support and lots of hopups.

This 1/12 monster truck is of course bigger, but it also seems like it's closer to a hobby grade vehicle from what I saw in the video. I know it's only 2wd, but that wouldn't bother me. I've had a couple of 2wd monster trucks, and they handled short grass just fine. At $75, it doesn't seem to have a lot of competition either. The closest thing is probably the Quanum Skull Crusher/Integy i10T, but those are quite a bit more money after shipping.

Looks fast, priced right...I'm not in the market for one, but I bet it sells pretty well.
Chubbs is online now Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Jan 28, 2015, 01:53 PM
Joined Oct 2014
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin View Post
I played it, it's very powerful and suspension is much better than wltoys A9*9 series cars due to it's long suspension arm. Much bigger in size compared with WLtoys A9*9. Very compact design, makes it cool even without the body shell. But I don't like it's electric parts. welding job is needed when replace the receiver board and controller is too toyish indeed.
BTW, it's not a WLtoys.
Replacing the electronics would be the first thing I'd do. Do you know what brand it is? I asked Banggood but haven't heard back from them yet.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 01:59 PM
Joined Oct 2014
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
It seems to be on Banggood's mobile site, but not their desktop site. What's with that? Maybe it's just in the wrong section or something, but I can't find it under WLtoy's RC car section.

Anyways, this looks like a nice car...nicer than their 9x9 series, at least from looking at it. It also seems more price competitive. The 9x9 series were decent cars, but I always thought they were a bit overpriced for a not-quite-hobby grade, brushed car. For just $10 more, hobbyking had their 1/16 scale brushless series (though you needed a radio), and for $99 you could get into the Dromida cars/trucks, which had better local parts support and lots of hopups.

This 1/12 monster truck is of course bigger, but it also seems like it's closer to a hobby grade vehicle from what I saw in the video. I know it's only 2wd, but that wouldn't bother me. I've had a couple of 2wd monster trucks, and they handled short grass just fine. At $75, it doesn't seem to have a lot of competition either. The closest thing is probably the Quanum Skull Crusher/Integy i10T, but those are quite a bit more money after shipping.

Looks fast, priced right...I'm not in the market for one, but I bet it sells pretty well.
I'm not sure what the deal is with the website. It is very well priced for what you get. I don't have local parts support for anything lol no hobbies shops anywhere close to me so I have to get parts for everything off he Internet anyways. Banggood should have parts on their website in the near future though. I agree with you I bet it sells really well. Banggood was sold out yesterday but I believe they have them back in stock now.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by hangtheman
Kid at heart..
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Apr 2014
567 Posts
It's says 2WD but at the end of that video, where it shows the drive parts, it clear shows both front and rear drive cups and dog bones. Kinda strange.
hangtheman is offline Find More Posts by hangtheman
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:35 PM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterhoward23 View Post
Replacing the electronics would be the first thing I'd do. Do you know what brand it is? I asked Banggood but haven't heard back from them yet.
Don't know the brand, should be a unknown factory of China. The box don't have brand information.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:38 PM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangtheman View Post
It's says 2WD but at the end of that video, where it shows the drive parts, it clear shows both front and rear drive cups and dog bones. Kinda strange.
The car don't have a center axle, so only two rear tires drive.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:55 PM
Kid at heart..
Joined Apr 2014
567 Posts
I agree, I'm just wondering why they add all the 4wd components to the front wheels as well. Maybe they plan to come out with a 4wd version of it??
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:00 PM
Joined Oct 2014
222 Posts
Quote:
I agree, I'm just wondering why they add all the 4wd components to the front wheels as well. Maybe they plan to come out with a 4wd version of it??
Now I want to wait to get one lol. Maybe they will make a 4 wheel drive upgrade??
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:06 PM
Joined Oct 2014
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin View Post
Don't know the brand, should be a unknown factory of China. The box don't have brand information.
Do you have one? Or did you see a picture of the box?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:42 PM
Kid at heart..
Joined Apr 2014
567 Posts
After careful review of the images on the site, it seems this vehicle does not use standard components. I think it may be similar to the WLTOYS L9x9 series where its a proprietary servo, esc, receiver unit. If that is true, I am not sure if this is a better buy over another vehicle which uses standard components. The images of the battery compartment shows an integrated on/off switch, antenna and a 5 wire connection (similar to the 5 wire servo of the L9x9 series). I would look for something from Integy with standard components, such as this 1/10 RTR 4x4 buggy with standard components for $76. http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...w#.VMmdeuktEuU

Its bigger (1/10), has 4WD and is also RTR. I know its not a MT, but from a price point, I think its better value.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 07:19 AM
Find More Posts by Chubbs
Fly, crash, rebuild, repeat
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
After careful review of the images on the site, it seems this vehicle does not use standard components. I think it may be similar to the WLTOYS L9x9 series where its a proprietary servo, esc, receiver unit. If that is true, I am not sure if this is a better buy over another vehicle which uses standard components. The images of the battery compartment shows an integrated on/off switch, antenna and a 5 wire connection (similar to the 5 wire servo of the L9x9 series). I would look for something from Integy with standard components, such as this 1/10 RTR 4x4 buggy with standard components for $76. http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...w#.VMmdeuktEuU

Its bigger (1/10), has 4WD and is also RTR. I know its not a MT, but from a price point, I think its better value.

That's how all of their cars are. The motors are standard components, but most other things are integrated (though the brushless 1/12 buggy has a normal ESC). They have always been somewhere between toy grade and hobby grade, and the price reflects that.

The I10b is indeed a good deal, but as you said, it's a buggy and not a truck. It's also over $100 after shipping. Just depends on what you're looking for, and what you're willing to spend. The I10T would be a closer competitor, and it's at a steal of a price right now. Brushless, AND comes with the GT2B radio. But again, the WLToys is $25 cheaper, which I think will be appealing to a lot of people.

One more thing to consider, is the "hassle" factor. Those cheap RTRs from integy and hobbyking almost ALWAYS require quite a bit of setup out of the box. I know they are RTR, but if you try to run them right away, things will break. Screws are lose, diffs need shimmed...they really need to be gone through before you drive them. I"ve owned alot of WLtoys stuff....quads, helicopters, cars....every one of them has been ready to go immediately. Nothing breaks, everything is adjusted within reason. So if you aren't the type that likes to tinker with these things, the WLtoys is probably a more hassle free driving experience than the lower end hobby grade RTRs.
Chubbs is online now Find More Posts by Chubbs