Find More Posts by as300
as300
United States, CA, Encinitas
Joined Apr 2014
19 Posts
Discussion
Dream Flight Libelle

Guy's,

What are the pro's and cons of the Dream Flight Libelle? Looking at getting one to start DLG and just having fun at the park and sloping in light air. What something for the light days and put in my car and throw out when ever and were ever.

My other option is the Neo but it looks pretty fragile for what I am looking to do.

Thank you for your insights and advice.
as300 is offline Find More Posts by as300
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2014, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by GaryO
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
5,337 Posts
Have you checked out any of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of posts on the Libelle? Lots of answers to your questions, really.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Jun 11, 2014, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by mnowell129
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
4,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
Have you checked out any of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of posts on the Libelle? Lots of answers to your questions, really.

Gary
Yep, looks like it's getting close to 1700 replies....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2095201
And another 1300 in the slope forum....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2092524

Seems like all the questions and answers should be handled by now in the 3000 or so posts .
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Jun 11, 2014, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by CustomPC
Australia, NSW, Cherrybrook
Joined May 2004
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by as300 View Post

What are the pro's and cons of the Dream Flight Libelle? Looking at getting one to start DLG and just having fun at the park and sloping in light air. What something for the light days and put in my car and throw out when ever and were ever.
The Pros are that for your purposes the Libelle is Perfect. It's a fantastic introduction to DLG and is reasonably tough and resistant to general knocks but it is not indestructible so you will need to take care when transporting and handling it. I keep mine in the back of the station wagon and you have to be careful about putting anything else next to it that might slide and crush it.
I fly mine at the local football field whenever i get chance. It's a lot of fun.

The cons are minimal.
1. It is designed for Hitec HS-35 micro servos which are expensive (4 of these cost more than the Libelle) and there are many reports of the latest batches these servos being defective out of the box.
It's not a massive issue as there are some HK servos that fit and many users install the Dymond servos (which require enlarging the servo pockets). Dream-Flight are also set to announce a suitable alternative servo very soon.
Personally, i use the Hitec servos (from an older batch) and have not had any issues.

2. If you read the suggested thread you will see that some of the DLG purists criticize the Libelle for having the rudder horn on the wrong side. This is a legitimate design flaw but does not pose massive issue for a DLG newbie.

3. Repeated strong launches can cause the wing mounts to loosen up as they are basically just held in by foam. You can strengthen the wing mounts using various methods but as a new pilot your launch strength will be lower so it probably won't be an issue to you until you gain more experience and improve your technique.
Mine is still holding up after many launches. All i have done is coat the foam around the wing mounts with some super aliphatic glue which firms it up a bit.
CustomPC is offline Find More Posts by CustomPC
Last edited by CustomPC; Jun 11, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:49 AM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
16,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomPC View Post
2. If you read the suggested thread you will see that some of the DLG purists criticize the Libelle for having the rudder horn on the wrong side.
Unless a person is left handed.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
16,099 Posts
Being in So Cal I would suggest your best bet would be to kind of sniff around for a used DLG. Unless you were absolutely opposed to buying something used.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke