HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:47 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Escapade #3 is on order.

Words of Wisdom follow: "Don't use imitation Deans Connectors for high current battery connections. They will intermittently disconnect at the worst possible time."

RIP #1

More Words of Wisdom: "Don't take your eyes off your plane when you are full bore, banking, and only 2' off the ground."

RIP #2.

McD
Man how true is that. I lost my last Pulse 25e because I flew it BEHIND a medium sized tree that was about 50 feet from me. Well when the plane came back into view it was now pointing into the setting sun. This is why I'm now hanging out in the Escapade threads.
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:07 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,612 Posts
#2 fits in with Chuck Yaeger's quote: "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old, bold pilots."

Looks to be a classic case of a bold pilot..... (Check out "Reach for the Sky" by Douglas Bader -- he did the bold pilot routine as well but survived. The movie version is close to the historical record as well.)

Any changes being planned for #3 or are you going to keep things as they come straight out of the box?
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:05 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,969 Posts
#1 used two aileron servos. #2 used one servo and it flew just fine. I'll stick with the single aileron servo this time also. Think I'll set this one up for floats as well as wheels.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:58 AM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
McD, installing floats will make a Schneider Trophy contender. I can't wait to see photos of it. Best wishes. What floats will you be using?
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:35 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
I have an Escapade powered with a .51 glow enjine. Last weekend, elevator flutter nearly tore the horozontal stab clear off. I managed to land it okay and I have a new set of tailfeathers on the way, should be here sometime next week.

I haven't took time to read through this entire thread, although I've posted a few times here. Do any of you know about this issue and have knowlage of a thread with info on how to deal with it? Thanks.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Jun 12, 2010, 03:01 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,612 Posts
Flutter is a standard issue with all types of airplanes, full-sized or model.

Basic causes are too much gap between flight and control surface, control surface not firmly connected to flight surface (hinges allow movement up and down -- solution is firmly glued hinges and tight-fitting hinge slots), or soft control rods.

Solutions are simple:
1) tight gaps or even sealed gaps
2) tight-fitting hinge slots and enough strong wood to prevent flexing of hinge material
3) solid control rods that will not flex under stress

Actually, there's a #4 solution -- back off on the throttle at the onset of flutter AND do not fly all manuvers at full throttle, especially down-lines or the back half of loops.

Alternate solutions involve the use of counter-weights to minimize flight loading on surfaces, whcih would tend to minimize the onset of the oscillation that leads to flutter.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:25 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjiskra View Post
McD, installing floats will make a Schneider Trophy contender. I can't wait to see photos of it. Best wishes. What floats will you be using?
I think I'll try the Horizon 25 size fiberglass floats.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLA500
I think they'll be big enough.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2010, 02:43 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Hey McD, I think they might be too short, according to this:
"Floats must be large enough to adequately support the model at rest. The rule of thumb is: Float length = 75 percent of the fuselage length."
Since the Escapade is 45" long the 75% length would be 34.75" BUT that's only a rule, I reckon. The floats you are looking at are really nice.
Good luck!!!!
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Jul 09, 2010, 03:58 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,969 Posts
Don,
I just got out the old tape measure and checked the "real" length of the Escapade fuselage. I know the manual states a 45" length, but I measured 38.5" from the back of the prop to the hinge line on the rudder. That was always the measurement I was told to take the 75% value from. Theoretical "perfect" length should be 28-7/8". This makes the 28" length of the Horizon floats a little more workable. Thanks for making me check though, because I feel a lot better about the choice.
McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:18 PM
United States, KS, Ulysses
Joined Sep 2009
111 Posts
New Escapade!!!

Well, I took 2 birds with one stone on this one.

I built my first ARF which went together nicely, and I stepped up from my trainer.

The Escapade was extremely easy to build. I just followed step by step and it was a a great model to get my feet wet with.

I think the build was so easy and smooth that it is really unfair to the newbie such as myself because I'm already looking for a 1/4 to 1/3 scale J3 Cub or Decathalon to build.

I outfitted the Escapade with an OS 55 AX engine. Currently it is pulling a 10x7. We'll see if this prop works or needs to step up. I have a 6v 2300mah JR Rx battery installed. Everything is installed per the manual. It instantly balanced as specified by Great Planes.

The maiden went extremely well. The motor was running strong and at half throttle (pulling 11x7 at the time) the Escapade was barely skimming the top of the grass with the wheels. Another couple notches on the throttle stick and a bit of up elevator and she was airborne. About 4-6 minutes into the first flight the engine just died without warning. It wouldn't stay running again.

After checking the carborateur, my mistake as a rookie builder was discovered. A very small piece of plastic from when the hole was cut in the tank had made its way into the carb. I had removed the stopper of the tank and blown it out. I then turned it upside down and tapped on it to make sure there was nothing loose inside. However, this situation demonstrates to me the necessitiy to rinse the tank with alcohol before installing it. (I say with alcohol because it will completely evaporate and will not harm the tank like some solvents or the motor like water would.)

After cleaning the carb, everything seems to be running great. I'll be taking her out again tomorrow along with the Seagull Yak 54 . Yea, I know. Graduate from a trainer to a Yak in one step. Crazy!!!

I'll update on the "aerobatic" abilities tomorrow.

Good Flying,

LawMan
the_law_man01 is online now Find More Posts by the_law_man01
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:58 PM
USA, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Apr 2007
1,423 Posts
I recently just lost my Pulse 40 XT EP after over 50 flights on it and looking for a good replacement. Could this be flow with 5S 4900mah 20C and a power 46 or would that be to much?
Thrawn150 is offline Find More Posts by Thrawn150
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ElectriStar and me
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:09 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
What size prop would you be using with the Power 46? You may be limited to maybe a 12" prop. I run an 11x6 on mine with an OS.46 and I have to replace the prop after 20 or so flights because the tips get chewed up from the grass at the field I fly at.
road_rascal is online now Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:20 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,612 Posts
POwer 46? Check what the manufacturer recommends and use that as a starting point. SInce all electric motors want to spin everything at the same rpm for a set voltage, find the one that gives you the performance that you want with the lowest amperage draw.

I have mine set up for a 4s 3300 mah 20c packs with an AXI 2826/10 driving an APC 10x6, which is more than enough for me (plane gets downwind in a real hurry and that caused the crash when I lost spatial orientation and applied two rights when I should have gone left on the second.) Plane should be back in the air shortly -- replaced LE wingtip with balsa block and found the wonders of 60-grit sandpaper on light balsa. Landing gear is next, followed by replacing the engine mount with stand-offs.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:10 PM
USA, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Apr 2007
1,423 Posts
I think I would fly this with a 12 x 8 Electric.
Thrawn150 is offline Find More Posts by Thrawn150
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ElectriStar and me
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:25 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn150 View Post
I think I would fly this with a 12 x 8 Electric.
That's what I'm using.

I have the stock setup (Rimfire 46) and 60a Hobbyking ESC. With a 4S 20C battery this thing is making 66amp on the bench. That's pushing the ESC pretty good. I don't fly full throttle much at all (rarely really) so I have been OK with this setup. However anything more in pitch or diameter would overtax the ESC. I will say that the plane feels anemic with any prop smaller than this. I tried an 11x10 but the damn thing had a hard time getting off the ground. A 12x6 was torquey and fun but the plane didn't go anywhere.

If I were to do it again I would get an 80a esc and run a 12x10.

Oh and I'm mowing the grass with 12x10. Don't even think about a 13".
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard