HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:03 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
596 Posts
Rant
Landing

I fly with a bunch of guys at a local park on weekends. There is this continuous theme of flying more than learning how to land properly. Planes come in too fast, at crazy angles overfly the pits, etc. it's actually somewhat dangerous and not a lot of structure. I'm "ranting" as why can't people chew up a couple packs learning how to properly takeoff, land, do low approaches, touch and goes, etc. I think we all get caught up in wanting to fly and tear up the sky that we can lose focus on how to correct for crosswinds and how to fly a right or a left pattern. I feel like I should say something to my fellow pilots to see if I can help, but it's not an authorized field and wonder if I should just mind my own business. We all fly at our own risk so I get it....thoughts?
TheMagician007 is online now Find More Posts by TheMagician007
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:14 PM
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Dec 2012
139 Posts
In spite of my limited experience, (I have 6 total flights, all of them within the last 10 hours) I believe I agree with you, as much as it applies to me. While I did successfully land each of my 6 flights, I gave no thought to landing until seconds before it was time to do so. I noticed my landings did not get progressively better, just on par with the one before.

I think next time I go out (tomorrow AM hopefully), I'll get there bright and early and work on some touch and go's and my approaches.
BWEC10 is offline Find More Posts by BWEC10
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:25 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,481 Posts
Join a club and fly at their field. You won't have that problem. Your flying at a venue thats has no rules or regs.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:30 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Join a club and fly at their field. You won't have that problem. Your flying at a venue thats has no rules or regs.
Not always true. I flew at a club and the worst flyer i have ever seen was there. When he showed up people took all there planes away from the line and hid them under overhang. This dude was all over the place and would not accept help. He spent more time gluing than flying. But i know most clubs would have you pass some kind of test to make sure you're competent.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:32 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,257 Posts
Drop a few hints maybe, other than that i would leave it alone. Just my thoughts.......
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:40 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,399 Posts
Just quietly set an example and they will eventually notice or you can use a patch of chalk powder on the ground and encourage them to land on/near it.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:55 PM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
This is the biggest reason I fly alone 99% of the time. I do now and then fly with some select friends that know how to fly and are safe in how they fly.

I've been hit twice, both times I was flying at the time. first hit was at a club field, guy came in hot for a landing ,lost control and clipped my left leg with the wing... broke the wing Second time was a Quad copter at a local park, guy lost orientation and flew into my left leg( they seem to like hitting my left leg!) I was not hurt in either case but still, getting hit makes you not want to fly with others

Long time ago when I flew nitro, again, at a club field, a guy put a 40 size tiger II into the pits about 3-4 feet from me as I was bent over refueling... LUCKILY he missed

John
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:56 PM
United States, MA, Oxford
Joined Sep 2009
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
Just quietly set an example and they will eventually notice or you can use a patch of chalk powder on the ground and encourage them to land on/near it.
Good call on this one. Get them to practice landings in one spot and learning to plan their approach to land near a target. They won't even know your training them to land in a safe manner. It will be all in the name of fun.

Even after 5 years I still dedicate a battery to practice touch, and go's. Really helps to hone the skills for a good landing. I won't say I do this is every time I go flying but do it enough to get good at it.

We have a guy that just doesn't get it at our field thinks nothing of flying right towards the flight line, and pulling up when he is 50' away. I have talked to him and the president of the club has. Nice thing is I haven't seen him down there flying I think he got the boot. Much more relaxing now!
jt182 is offline Find More Posts by jt182
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt182 View Post
Good call on this one. Get them to practice landings in one spot and learning to plan their approach to land near a target. They won't even know your training them to land in a safe manner. It will be all in the name of fun.

Even after 5 years I still dedicate a battery to practice touch, and go's. Really helps to hone the skills for a good landing. I won't say I do this is every time I go flying but do it enough to get good at it.

We have a guy that just doesn't get it at our field thinks nothing of flying right towards the flight line, and pulling up when he is 50' away. I have talked to him and the president of the club has. Nice thing is I haven't seen him down there flying I think he got the boot. Much more relaxing now!
Thanks for the feedback. I really do like the chalk idea too. Some type of indicator and I can use myself as the guinea pig to start (in the name of fun). I put a limbo pole out once and some guy came up to me after saying how much that alone helped his flying because he had to really focus on the lineup.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:54 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,788 Posts
I think it's comical to watch a guy fly his Extra, doing all kinds of loops, snap rolls, etc., then can hardly land the plane! Seen it! +1 that the clubs see their fair share of poor landing skills. I haven't done it in a while, as the Apprentice needs some maintenance, but I enjoy running a couple of packs through it doing touch and goes once in a while to refresh my landing skills. I pride myself on making good landings, and I always say, the landing is the last maneuver your audience sees you do on each flight!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
I think it's comical to watch a guy fly his Extra, doing all kinds of loops, snap rolls, etc., then can hardly land the plane! Seen it! +1 that the clubs see their fair share of poor landing skills. I haven't done it in a while, as the Apprentice needs some maintenance, but I enjoy running a couple of packs through it doing touch and goes once in a while to refresh my landing skills. I pride myself on making good landings, and I always say, the landing is the last maneuver your audience sees you do on each flight!
Yeah, absolutely, I'll never go home or end flights on a "not so good" landing. Yesterday was super windy here and we went out and just practiced dead sticks and regulars just to have those conditions. By means do I do that all the time, but I would say every couple of weeks it would be good to burn a pack or two just practicing. I'm probably starting to sound like the preacher, but again appreciate the feedback.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 08:47 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:

+1 on this line of action.

Start out by announcing all your take offs and landings.
If your going to do a speed pass down the "runway" center line, call it out, etc.
Make a big deal out of landing the plane right in front of you and offer suggestions and tips to other fliers on how to do it.
YOU fly in the pattern and when other guys are all over the place call them on it.

Us guys are a competitive bunch, challenge them to put the "C" in RC: Radio Control.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:17 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,184 Posts
Anyone can fly. Not all can land (under control).

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:29 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
a loop, a roll, hammerhead, yeah whoopie. just about anybody that has been flying a month can do that. now come in nice and smooth and grease a landing, that will get cheers where we fly. just about all the guys i fly with practice touch and go's more than anything. we don't land on grass, we have an asphalt runway so it's not as forgiving. nothing gets the hecklers going more than flying around doing all kinds of tricks and then come in to land and it's bounce, bounce, bounce, off the runway into the grass.

for me landing is one of the hardest things to get right. i can grease them about 7 out of 10 times, but those 3 i mess up really make me want to try harder. if i mess up a loop, or some aerobatic trick, it's not that big of a deal.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:25 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2012
984 Posts
Hey Chris, I think the idea of marking where to touchdown, take off from is a good idea. We can put a line out and see who can touch it. Making it a challenge/competition might remove some apprehension from the guys without having to be confrontational. I will do what I can to set an example on calling off take off/landing, etc.
I'll admit that your teaching/helping me has probably saved me a few fuselages/wings, and made flying more enjoyable- thanks. Learning how to actually fly saves so much time in repairs, $, and stress.
Loukhan is offline Find More Posts by Loukhan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Loukhan; Jan 01, 2013 at 10:31 PM.