HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:48 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,156 Posts
Gosh tons more to read, but I am a few hundred posts deep. Few questions so far:

Other than the spray adhesive, is anyone using something else for joining the wing halves? Can I get away with an epoxy joint here? or is that not recommended?

Is there a single thread that covers most of the mods you all are doing during the build? There are some long long threads out there, has anyone posted some clifnotes?
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:56 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Don't use Epoxy as it doesn't bond very well. Use some UHU POR, apply some to both wing roots, let it tack off then slap em together. Or regular CA will work also.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:03 PM
Michael W.
United States, TN, Cleveland
Joined Nov 2011
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Gosh tons more to read, but I am a few hundred posts deep. Few questions so far:

Other than the spray adhesive, is anyone using something else for joining the wing halves? Can I get away with an epoxy joint here? or is that not recommended?

Is there a single thread that covers most of the mods you all are doing during the build? There are some long long threads out there, has anyone posted some clifnotes?
I used gorilla glue. I read of other guys using CA with activator, as well as some guys said they used hot glue or epoxy. In my case, making sure the gorilla didn't misalign the halves was a challenge but worth the bond
wootenelli is offline Find More Posts by wootenelli
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:23 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,656 Posts
I used the spray adhesive and then filled the gaps I could see withe CA. I was going to use Epoxy for the motor mount, but used Gorilla Glue, and it is rock solid! I could swing from it! LOL!

Hot glue works well on Servos etc.

Cheers
MG
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:28 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,156 Posts
thanks fellas!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn View Post
Sweet thread dude! Loads of good info in there, did your RTH settings change much after you posted #225 - on page 23.
Mine is a little heavy 7.2lbs so I had to raise the min/max speed. other than that nothing changed RTH work perfect! the rest you just set to your preference
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:20 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2011
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Don't use Epoxy as it doesn't bond very well. Use some UHU POR, apply some to both wing roots, let it tack off then slap em together. Or regular CA will work also.
UHU POR is my favorite. It is very powerful.
slarys is offline Find More Posts by slarys
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:59 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post

I use hot glue on wing cores. Nice & easy and strong as. Ive just built my 5th z2, after a few crazy crashes the wing has NEVER ever separated at the core join. And the best thing about hot glue , is that in about 10mins it done, on to the next part of gluing the spars and motor mount
Just be careful if you have a high temp glue gun
Locko is offline Find More Posts by Locko
Last edited by Locko; Jun 25, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,156 Posts
Thanks for the guidance fellas!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:04 AM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
Is it okay to use epoxy resin on the zephyr II? I was thinking of laying down some light glass fibre around the battery area and where my GoPro box will be as I've seen this is one of the weak points.

Also what paints do people use on the plane before lamming? Am i right in saying you tend to paint then put the 3M77 on then laminate?

Thanks

Brett
Anyone?
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:13 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Epoxy is fine , just watch out its heavy.
As per directions spray paint can be used , please read directions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
Anyone?
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:27 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Quote:
Also what paints do people use on the plane before lamming? Am i right in saying you tend to paint then put the 3M77 on then laminate?
I found a foam safe RC paint. "RC Styro Colours"
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:14 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
I found a foam safe RC paint. "RC Styro Colours"
Rustoleum ULTRA COVER works well too. IT IS NOT FOAM SAFE but dries very fast. If you used light coats and let it dry a few mins between coats it wont damage the foam. The nice thing about this paint is that it takes heat really well and the lam sticks to it great.
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:23 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorns View Post
Interesting! I didn't realize that was what all of this "outside" mounting talk was about. Looks like all I have to do is unscrew it and swap sides too. If it is enough, it will make my CG issues really easy to deal with. Thanks!
Hey bud, Ron here. I had shipped that wing out to the origional owner with the kit to flip the motor in its mount. If you didnt get it when you purchased the plane from him hit me up with an im and Ill send you one for free. Man I loved that pink wing!
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:44 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmint View Post
Mine is a little heavy 7.2lbs so I had to raise the min/max speed. other than that nothing changed RTH work perfect! the rest you just set to your preference
Wow! That does sound a little heavy, bet it flies real smooth though!

Thanks, those RTH numbers should be a good starting point when I get mine ready to fly, I've just used an old ethernet cable as a AV cable to the VTX, need to test it before I glue it in - I really hope it works!!!

Im getting there with the component layout now as well, just cut the VTX into the wing. I'm going to need to put the GPS unit & the RC RX on the same wing quite close together, will that be ok?

Also to anyone who might know, should I 3m77 the Lam on then stick my carbon vinyl bands (go-faster stripes) on top - or should I stick the carbon vinyl bands to the wings with 3m77 then Lam over the top? I'm thinking the latter as I dont want the CF stickers getting ripped off in flight.

I just need a whole day or two to get this build finished but it seems everything else is getting in the way, I mean - who needs to earn a living, drive hundreds of miles in a gutless courtesy car while mine gets a new gearbox, answer endless work emails, feed the cat, clean the house, visit parents & go on holiday for a week anyway right?!?!

It seems like its just dragging & I'm not getting anywhere, like today all I did was to make an AV cable that might not work. Doh!

I'm sooo close I can't wait but I don't want to rush it.

Thanks.
flyn is offline Find More Posts by flyn
Last edited by flyn; Jun 25, 2012 at 06:41 PM.