SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2015, 02:04 AM
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
Question
Alternatives to 2.4 or 5

So, this is my first post here on the forum, Seems like a pretty large place.

Just for some background, I bout a Blade Mqx about 2 years ago, and I have had a lot of fun with it. I just replaced it with a Dromida Ominus, That thing is a blast.

I have a few friends with some bigger multi's. One buddy has an f450 and an f550. Another has a Cinestar 8 that I helped him build. (over a long weekend translating german mikrocopter manuals)

I have flown the f550 with a naza v2. It seemed supper simple compared to my smaller quads.

I am looking to build a larger quad, probably an f550. I want to do some testing with it for doing wireless sight surveys for outdoor wifi networks.

My problem is that most of the radios run on the 2.4 range, the same range that I want to run spectrum analysis on, I have already ran my spectrum analyzer near my Ominous tx and it creates a lot of interference in the wifi space.

I have seen some products like the DJI PC Data link that runs on 900 MHz, but I haven't seen any controllers that run on this.

Are there any? If so, do you guys have any specific models? Can I convert a different radio such a spectrum to run on 900 MHz?

Is there any other options im missing?

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Ryan
grndZr0 is online now Find More Posts by grndZr0
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2015, 03:11 AM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Dec 2012
71 Posts
Check your countries regs for unlicensed frequencies first.

Common ones are 27/35/40/70/72MHz, 433MHz, 90oMhz, 1.2/1.3,ghz, 2.4ghz, 5,8ghz. They can be used for any purpose usually, hence the unlicensed part, but all have max legal power outputs, though from reading RCG most people seem to think that law does not apply to hem as they are some sort of special snowflake.

Most radios with PPM out can be run on other frequencies. Or older or different tx sets bought.

You can buy some off the shelf modern TXs in 1.2ghz as well as older sets in the 27/35/40/70/72 mhz frequencies depending on your country. For example the UK are allowed to use just 27 and 35 of those. Some of the later used low frequency sets have things like PCM which can reduce swamping close to high power antennas. But I would look at say the 1.2/1.3 ghz sets or modules first to see if they would be suitable for your application.
DA 200 is online now Find More Posts by DA 200
Old Jan 29, 2015, 05:12 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,393 Posts
Surely a spectrum analyser doesn't emit anything? It just 'looks'. Maybe noise from its power supply or other parts of its insides, which it shouldn't do either if it is a good one, or it will measure itself.

And if it does why use it at the same time?
Mark Powell is online now Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 29, 2015, 03:57 PM
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
No, the spectrum analyzer does not transmit, however the RC transmitter does, and it will show up on the spectrum data, giving an inaccurate view of the normal spectrum looks like for that area. I will post some pictures this evening of what it looks like.

I would like to fly the analyzer on the multirotor to be able to collect spectrum data faster, and from tall towers as well.
grndZr0 is online now Find More Posts by grndZr0
Old Jan 29, 2015, 05:01 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,735 Posts
You can use 72MHz if you are in NA or 35/36 in EU, AU or NZ.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member