HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:46 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,292 Posts
Discussion
The 12-foot foamie B-36 Peacemaker

OK, for those who have not seen me build before, I'm a rather ragtag quick builder who works heavily in rigid foam insulation board (I heard another name for it once, but forgot). So far my most popular build has been the 100-inch Spruce Goose of 2011.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286585

So it's been a while since I pushed the dimensions and toppled my biggest bird.

Last Saturday at the Arizona Electric Festival, I threw the covers off of my new project, a 12-foot B-36 Peacemaker foamie. Therefore, I presume it's time to get the accompanying thread started. Please join me!

The foundational dimensions (the size restriction that decided the scale) was a fuselage length of 96 inches. Almost the same length as the Spruce Goose's wingspan.

I recently tried a new approach for getting round-ish fuselages on my 96-inch B-29. I start with a flat-sided box fuselage (kinda like an oversized enclosed profile model), and add 1.5-inch foam to each side, then curve the outer edges trying to make the overall fuselage look as round as possible. I admit it works better on the slightly smaller scale of the B-29, but remember- I built the fuselage (including rounded sides) in about half a working day.

Suffice it to say, this will be no Dag214 endeavour (nor Carl Bachuber for that matter), but I think I can promise this one will fly this spring.

I just can't promise it will be hand-launched like the Spruce Goose.
greenseaships is online now Find More Posts by greenseaships
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2014, 04:33 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
928 Posts
Keen to watch. I built a 9 foot B-36 years ago, also based on a box fuselage padded out with foam. I lightly glued block foam on, cut it with a hot wire to the round shape then removed the blocks, hollowed them then glued them into final position.

The nose foam covering from the wing forward slid out to allow batteries to be fitted. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:28 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,173 Posts
I am looking forward to watching the progress on this, building with foam is a black art to me and I admire the raw skill it takes to carve something substantial like this out of blocks of square shaped unfriendly material

John, That is just absolutely stunning do you have any links to the build?

Ken
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:25 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2005
783 Posts
Looking forward to this one Barret..

Randy
Meatball is offline Find More Posts by Meatball
Old Jan 31, 2014, 01:47 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,292 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I feel like a black sheep of the hobby. Just sand a block until it looks about right.

Yes, John! We'd love to see more of your B-36 build. I'm so embarrassed, I think I'm going to have to go back and redo the forward section of my own fuselage!

Here are some pics detailing how the fuselage sides were made to look round.....ish...
Old Jan 31, 2014, 02:04 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,555 Posts
Black sheep?

No Barrett I would say your more like the Speedy Gonzalez of the hobby! Lol

Fastest razor in the west!. . .I'd say you'll have your "Big-stick" maidened by sunday!lol
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2014, 02:33 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Black sheep?

No Barrett I would say your more like the Speedy Gonzalez of the hobby! Lol

Fastest razor in the west!. . .I'd say you'll have your "Big-stick" maidened by sunday!lol
Haha! This thing is more likely to maiden by the weekend!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 03:11 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,555 Posts
That Super - fortress is slick Barrett!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2014, 04:05 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
928 Posts
It would take me a while to track down the pics, the model 18 years old
but the're here somewhere.

Sad to say I will be posting pictures of the rebuild

I stuck it in a tree about a year ago, not much damage from that but it did get mangled getting it out of the tree.

Fortunately the most complicated part, the wing, is relatively undamaged, the model was originally flown with the fuselage unfinished so it may take to the air again in stages.

The plan was published many years ago:

http://www.trapletshop.com/gb/p/1199...-36-peacemaker

John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Feb 01, 2014, 11:03 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,292 Posts
Thanks, John! She is indeed a beauty.

I feel quite embarrassed looking at the perfectly sculpted nose section of ships like yours and SR71fans.

I am seriously considering cutting off and redoing the fuselage from the cockpit area forward to be solid block foam sculpted into a full round cross section. This is supposed to be my greatest bird and I don't want any 'bad angles' for the camera.
Old Feb 01, 2014, 11:33 PM
550 horses chasing the horizon
United States, MO, Graysville
Joined Aug 2013
391 Posts
One of the best quotes of aircraft lore:

"If all engines function normally at full power during the pre-takeoff warm-up, the lead flight engineer will sometimes say to the Aircraft Commander (AC), 'six turning and four burning.'" Erratic reliability led to the wisecrack, 'two turning, two burning, two joking, and two smoking, with two engines not accounted for.'"

Love the builds.
crosswind_92 is offline Find More Posts by crosswind_92
Old Feb 02, 2014, 02:09 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswind_92 View Post
One of the best quotes of aircraft lore:

"If all engines function normally at full power during the pre-takeoff warm-up, the lead flight engineer will sometimes say to the Aircraft Commander (AC), 'six turning and four burning.'" Erratic reliability led to the wisecrack, 'two turning, two burning, two joking, and two smoking, with two engines not accounted for.'"

Love the builds.
Hopefully, I can weed out that 'erratic reliability' part.

As for this '36, when I was building my 8-foot B-17 and B-29, I decided to start building alternate fuselages for one set of wings. That way I seem to get multiple aircraft almost for the price of one.

Here is an example showing the B-17 wing and 2 different fuselages.
Old Feb 02, 2014, 02:11 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,292 Posts
And you guessed it!

As long as I'm plunking down the ca$h for six motors and ESCs, I might as well do a 96-inch fuselage of THIS thing.

I mean has anyone even built one of them yet? A BIG one of them?
Old Feb 02, 2014, 06:00 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships View Post
And you guessed it!

As long as I'm plunking down the ca$h for six motors and ESCs, I might as well do a 96-inch fuselage of THIS thing.

I mean has anyone even built one of them yet? A BIG one of them?
"Has anyone even built one of them yet?"

Two men Barret . . . .Carl Bachhuber & Dag aka Damon right here on RCG is building an enormous one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2014, 09:42 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
5,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
"Has anyone even built one of them yet?"

Two men Barret . . . .Carl Bachhuber & Dag aka Damon right here on RCG is building an enormous one.
Are you sure? I can't find any evidence of Carl building an XC-99. And Dag has his hands full of B-36 and C-130. I don't find any signs that he's built an XC-99 either. Do you have a link to his XC-99?