HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2015, 07:38 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,238 Posts
Yep. Came he from work and installed cylinders in about 1.5hrs. Work great. Now for nose door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 ragtop View Post
Since you're already doing air retracts, good call. Servos almost need their own channel to set them up so their happy. Air cylinder is a no brainer
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Last edited by Tumbler; Jan 29, 2015 at 10:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:16 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,238 Posts
Nosegear door done. A little tricky to clear ducting.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:35 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 ragtop View Post
Since you're already doing air retracts, good call.
Nice to see one going with what would be "called old school ", I never had any issues with air myself.. In fact working on purchasing a Y/A Starfire, which will also have air. Great build BTW.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:42 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,238 Posts
I have had more problens with electric than air and electric hasnt been out that long. Air doesnt burn up!! First time using air cylinders and cant believe hoe simple. Will definetly do an airbrake now. What was supposed to be a simple, no frills, no doors, build....has become crazy. I have over 1000 hours in it i bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Nice to see one going with what would be "called old school ", I never had any issues with air myself.. In fact working on purchasing a Y/A Starfire, which will also have air. Great build BTW.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:49 PM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Jan 2009
321 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, I don't get the fascination with electric gear myself. Lots of $$, maybe they go all the way up, maybe they don't....hope they come down;

Been following one of the other threads on P-38s. Almost everyone is going electric and talking about programing the controller to stagger the swing? Put air in it, they'll be staggered. Just posted a video on my Yellow P-38 thread, not really adjusted yet, but that is staggered

So you're buying a Starfire, or the one you scratch building? I was at Yellow last week, and there must have been 8 kits or so. I am really thinking about getting one myself to shake out the jet cobwebs and have some fun. Love those big fat rounded inlets for grass!
70 ragtop is online now Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
Last edited by 70 ragtop; Jan 29, 2015 at 11:14 PM. Reason: because I can't spell half the time
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:59 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,238 Posts
Yep i dont get electric either. Dont trust it yet. Eflite 120 are good in my Xxx but only with upgraded trunions you cant get anymore.

I love starfires and have come so close to buying one but with around a 52" span for a $600 kit plus finishing materials and time when i can get a 60" Xxx ARF for 1300, its hard to justify.

No one makes a big f100 like mine which is why i did it. Called bvm the other day to see if they would sell me a cocpit kit. Never called me back of course but said it would be around $395. I assume they had just smoked crack at lunch lol
Last edited by Tumbler; Jan 29, 2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:09 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,655 Posts
Lol, no doubt.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:12 PM
Joined Jan 2009
321 Posts
Yeah, nice stuff, huge money. Always has been, remember the Yellow vs BVM days. The BVM guys talked smack about the Yellow guys, and the Yellow guys bad mouthed the BVMs. In all honesty, it all came down to how much $ you had...I was in the later
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:25 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,142 Posts
70 ragtop, I thought about puling a fuse, I did an F-86F fuse,-- but I don;t want to spend the time ,nor do I have the skills of Tumbler-- so I got o hold of Shaun Evens, I know he had a couple..

With out getting into any medical history, . lets just say since I had my stroke -back in Dec 2012-- I have not flown- But , I'll be damned if it will stop me from building. If nothing else, I'll have one of the last kits available..

With everyone trying to snap up older planes/kits--to re-furbish , just had to buy it. An investment-even if I don't build it right away. Tom Cook did one hell-of- a -job designing this one-- I will admit it's not he prettiest one out there,,,
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:40 PM
Joined Jan 2009
321 Posts
Quote:
70 ragtop, I thought about puling a fuse, I did an F-86F fuse,-- but I don;t want to spend the time ,nor do I have the skills of Tumbler-- so I got o hold of Shaun Evens, I know he had a couple..

With out getting into any medical history, . lets just say since I had my stroke -back in Dec 2012-- I have not flown- But , I'll be damned if it will stop me from building. If nothing else, I'll have one of the last kits available..

With everyone trying to snap up older planes/kits--to re-furbish , just had to buy it. An investment-even if I don't build it right away. Tom Cook did one hell-of- a -job designing this one-- I will admit it's not he prettiest one out there,,,
I'm with you, I love building, and I can't do what Tumbler's doing either
Glad you got one!
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM
Joined Dec 2008
6,142 Posts
Thanks 70 ragtop..
Back in th mid 80's when realty got started RC, I recall all the adds in M.AN, from Yellow Aircraft-- and many years later, I now can afford one--
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Yesterday at 04:26 AM.