Night FPV Landings: 6
Strongest winds flown: 22 kts
Furthest distance travelled: 4.1 km
Highest altitude attained: 1002 ft
Number of "Fly-days": 79
Longest time between fly-days: 16 days
Most Flight Hours in a day: 1.9(9 Oct)
Most Landings in a day: 15 (17 Feb)
Number of times EZ* "fell from the sky": 2 (Testing a new antenna arrangement. Flew out of range at 200 m, Video Tx Battery died)
Number of times EZ* "crashed, breaking things": 4 (Launched w/o properly initializing gyro resulting in no aileron control, Got slow and stalled on landing, Hard landing due to transition from FPV to conventional flight, Crashed into tree).
Number of people struck: ZERO
Number of people injured: NONE
Value of any damage done to property: ZERO
Number of times landed/crashed outside of "flying field or operating area": ZERO
Number of complaints from neighbors: ZERO
Number of "riders": 15
Number of Flying sites: 12

Total Spent: $585.00
Cost Per Flight Hour: $12
Cost Per Month: $48.75
Most expensive purchase: $167 (200mW LRS from www.microwireless.net)

The whole experience: Still PRICELESS!!!

From Last Year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
I kept record of everything related to my RC habit this year. Thought I'd share the following data with y'all.

I have ONE Easystar

Total Flight Hours on Easystar: 49.9
Night Hours (any flight between sunset & sunrise): 4.6
FPV Hours: 47.2
Night FPV Hours: 4.6
Visual Landings: 22
Day FPV Landings: 255
Night FPV Landings: 27
Strongest winds flown: 17 kts
Furthest distance travelled: 1.4 km
Highest altitude attained: 532 ft
Number of "Fly-days": 70
Longest time between fly-days: 14 days
Most Flight Hours in a day: 2.5 (28 Sept)
Most Landings in a day: 16 (18 Aug)
Number of times EZ* "fell from the sky": 4 (1- EMI from Electric Power Turbine, 1- Rudder linkage separated, 2- Ran out of juice)
Number of times EZ* "crashed, breaking things": 3 (Slammed into trashcan on a hot and fast tail wind landing breaking the nose off; Broke off right horizontal stab after it caught a stump on landing; Lost the "video raft" after hitting the top of a tree during a night landing)
Number of people struck: 4 (Me-twice, my wife, my son, & my daughter)
Number of people injured: NONE
Value of any damage done to property: ZERO
Number of times landed/crashed outside of "flying field or operating area": ZERO
Number of complaints from neighbors: ZERO
Number of "riders": 6
Number of Flying sites: 9
Number of videos published to you tube & google: 32

Total Spent: $999.00
Cost Per Flight Hour: $20.02
Cost Per Month (Only had the "program" running for 9 months because of our move during 1Q): $111.00
Most expensive purchase: $420 (Video Goggles & KX-131 from Rangevideo)

The whole experience: PRICELESS!!!
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Jan 02, 2009 at 06:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2009, 06:27 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Your post is priceless scrtsqrl, lol

Gold
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Old Jan 02, 2009, 11:26 AM
Muskoka
Joined Nov 2003
396 Posts
Both years resulted in 49.9 hours flying time. Interesting that it is exactly the same.
It is good information to have.
Thanks,
Rick
Rikidee is offline Find More Posts by Rikidee
Old Jan 03, 2009, 03:00 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikidee
Both years resulted in 49.9 hours flying time. Interesting that it is exactly the same.
It is good information to have.
Thanks,
Rick
Yes, they did!

Frankly I'm a bit disappointed with these numbers. I originally intended the EZG wings and gyros to open up more fly days. In the end, either I was too busy or too lazy...

Considering that I flew only 9 months in 07, winding up with the same numbers surprised me. I did just as well with my basic set-up.

From a safety stand-point...looks like all of my crashes were due to operator error. That tells me that knowing your equipment's limits and staying within them by establishing and following procedures will almost guarantee zero mishaps.

Financially, it's getting way cheaper...though in the eyes of the Finance Minister, not cheap enough...especially now that I am spending like mad on broken helicopter parts...
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Jan 03, 2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:25 AM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Cool info.
I wish I had the discipline to keep such records. Maybe when the new one is built I'll give it a go.
I like the cost/hour data. That's an easy way to show the wife that it's cheaper than a full scale plane

You just can't put a figure on the fun factor though. Thanks for sharing.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Jan 03, 2009, 08:04 PM
Muskoka
Joined Nov 2003
396 Posts
Quote scrtsqrl: Financially, it's getting way cheaper...though in the eyes of the Finance Minister, not cheap enough...especially now that I am spending like mad on broken helicopter parts...

I too have spent way too much on helicopter parts. After teaching myself to hover I see my LHS with a video demontsration of an electronic device that does that automatically. Not much reward for my skill (?) now. My helicopters remain safely on the shelf while I build planes, wind motors and fly (when mother nature co-operates.
Onward and upward.
Rick
Rikidee is offline Find More Posts by Rikidee
Old Jan 03, 2009, 09:09 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikidee
Quote scrtsqrl: Financially, it's getting way cheaper...though in the eyes of the Finance Minister, not cheap enough...especially now that I am spending like mad on broken helicopter parts...

I too have spent way too much on helicopter parts. After teaching myself to hover I see my LHS with a video demontsration of an electronic device that does that automatically. Not much reward for my skill (?) now. My helicopters remain safely on the shelf while I build planes, wind motors and fly (when mother nature co-operates.
Onward and upward.
Rick
I gave up on the 400 size heli last spring after I realized that I spent way too much on those broken parts and aluminum upgrades Now, I spend way too much on getting into this FPV thing

Hmm, there's a pattern here...

-tychoc
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc