HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:12 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,151 Posts
The banking occour before i have the landing gar havent flown it yet with landing gear, but my suspect is wing warp and horizontal stab not aligned need to figure out hpw to fix that

Vtx at back for exra cooling and balancing the wing
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
too late now...

So I haven't flown an r/c plane in about 10 years until the last few weeks.
I got an AXN and have been flying that almost every day.

I'll be honest:
I'm not sure how anyone can crash this thing unless they have a hardware problem.

Anyway...

I can't say I'm the best pilot in the world but in stock form it certainly is floaty and hard to crash and not very lively so I just lopped the wingtips off 2" past the ailerons.

I know a lot of people talk about it but I've only seen 3 videos on youtube.

How many people here have done it and how do you fly it most of the time...w/ wingtips off or back on?

I'm doing mine so they can go back on but I'm not done with that yet.
js32257 is offline Find More Posts by js32257
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by js32257 View Post
How many people here have done it and how do you fly it most of the time...w/ wingtips off or back on?

I'm doing mine so they can go back on but I'm not done with that yet.
I'd be interested in detailed pics of this, i've only seen a couple of others who've done it.

Currently i've not got one of these foam floaters, grabbed a little Mini Atom to try to see if I'm likely to enjoy it before getting a bigger one such as the AXN or Bixler and quite liked the idea of cutting the wingtips to give much faster roll response. (on the bigger one not the Atom)

I was actually thinking of just buying a second set of wings to have the option between chopped or not, but if it's easy to make them detachable I may go that route.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
I'd be interested in detailed pics of this, i've only seen a couple of others who've done it.

Currently i've not got one of these foam floaters, grabbed a little Mini Atom to try to see if I'm likely to enjoy it before getting a bigger one such as the AXN or Bixler and quite liked the idea of cutting the wingtips to give much faster roll response. (on the bigger one not the Atom)

I was actually thinking of just buying a second set of wings to have the option between chopped or not, but if it's easy to make them detachable I may go that route.
All I did was what you've seen already. I cut the tips off making sure each removed tip was measured several times before cutting and then drilled the removable tip w/ a "big" hole (so there is room for adjustment) and the end of each wing with a hole slightly smaller than the carbon rods (3 per tip and about 4" long). I put the carbon rods in each wing (tight hole) and then used gorilla glue on the big hole. I did each wingtip 1 rod at a time. Glue. Tape the wingtip in place in several spots so that it's flush. Wait 1.5 hours for glue to set. Remove. Repeat w/ the next rod.

It took 2 days because of all the glue set time but now when I slip the tips on they line up perfectly as if I never cut them off.

I'm sure it'll fly like stock w/ the tips on but we'll see what happens with them off.

This works out better for me anyway because I glued my wings into the fuselage. I've seen a few videos of wings that weren't glued flying off. I didn't want that to happen. If nothing else it'll fit in my car better.

Here are two pics.
Tip on and tip off.

I wrapped the edge of the removable tip completely with tape and the leading and trailing edges of the permanent part of the wing. I'll use a short piece of tape on the leading and trailing edge (straddle the joint) to keep alignment good and to help keep the tips from coming off in flight.
Last edited by js32257; Nov 14, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
what size carbon did you use?
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
what size carbon did you use?
.140" or about 3.5mm

flew it w/ the chopped wings first time today. I chopped the wings 2" past the end of the ailerons which makes the wings about 2/3 the original size. It is STILL floaty but rolls nicely now. I still don't see how anyone could crash this plane. I am sure I'll eat my words eventually but as it stands I've yet to put the plane down hard or more than a few feet from where I expect to land and I flew in 13 mph winds today with gusts probably close to 20 mph.
Last edited by js32257; Nov 16, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:36 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,882 Posts
Picking one up tonight from a friend who built it, flew it once and sold it to me. He promptly bought another one.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
hi.
I just got my order form hk with the collect adapter (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16579)
But this does not look right.
Can you please send me a link with an adapter from hobbyking.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
hi.
I just got my order form hk with the collect adapter (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16579)
This one is one I ordered. I don't have it yet but at least one of the reviews says they used it on an AXN.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19593

What HK part do you have that you don't think is correct?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
the adapter is way too big and has bad vibration. but i seen some one using it on their axn. the link you gave me its practically the same size is mine. I am looking for a smaller adapter just like shown in the picture.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
the adapter is way too big and has bad vibration. but i seen some one using it on their axn. the link you gave me its practically the same size is mine. I am looking for a smaller adapter just like shown in the picture.
What's the part # for the one you got that you think is too big?

The last pic that has the adapter on the motor looks ok to me but your picture description says it's too big. What's too big about it?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:36 AM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
Ok, so the new adapter fits onto the motor but is way to big in size (PRODUCT ID: GON-D3T6 ).
The smaller adapter is the right size but does not fit onto the motor.
So I am looking for something like the smaller adapter but will fit onto the 3mm motor shaft.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:02 AM
Switzerland
Joined Nov 2010
73 Posts
Quote:
hi.
I found these ones from eBay seller gogo.rc to be of decent quality, and definitely smaller than the HK ones: http://stores.ebay.com/gogo-rcshop
Just search for "propeller adapter" and you will find a few, for different shaft sizes.
120ccpm is offline Find More Posts by 120ccpm
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
thanks. I have looked at gogo.rc but for the just 1$ extra I could get this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-3mm-Prope...item2a0d6a9c98

What do you think?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,151 Posts
my AXN with fpv loaded is having hard time to stay up in the air, can't glide as it use to due to the weight the current AUW is now almost 900g launched with almost full throttle with full elevator

maybe time to upgrade the stock motor, or fpv with other plane but still love my axn
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount