HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2010, 12:52 PM
Wichita, Ks
Joined Jun 2005
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draknkep View Post
The only problem with this picture, is that, (while many people do it as shown), it is really best to put a female on the positive side from the battery, and a male on the negative side from the battery. This will prevent accidentally plugging the power leads in with polarity reversed, which will immediately fry the FETs in an ESC.

SteveT

LOL I actually used to do that with r/c cars when I was younger. When NiCd batteries were still around.

I managed to plug the battery into itself once.

That was awesome.

-Eric
rccardude04 is offline Find More Posts by rccardude04
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:57 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,000 Posts
Hey all,
I see more newcomers are following this build, I think that is so cool. And thanks for all the great comments.

I will post pics in the next few days of what I have gotten done.

If you go back a bunch of pages you will see where we all discussed the power system for my B-36, at the time I did about 20-30 test with the battery being about 8" from the ESC, and then the motor having a long lead (max 36") This was so I could keep the batteries at the leading edge of the wing to get my CG correct. I was really afraid of adding caps and getting that all right. One reason for loving electrics on twins is if done right you will never have a engine failure on take off, and if I get the caps wrong I could have a ESC fail. But after really sitting back and looking at all the things that it takes to do the different motor set-ups, I now see that caps are really the only way to go. This way I need no panel access in my nacelles. A year ago I had hoped to get my ESC on my firewall by my motor mount, but then when I found out about adding caps it scared me away from that idea, now I am back to mounting the cap board/ESC to the firewall, and running my battery leads to the front of the wing.

Thanks all,
Dag
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:14 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j32driver View Post
Hey Dag,

As always, I'm amazed by what a motivated individual can accomplish. I still follow all your threads in absolute amazement at your talent.

That being said, please take the rest of my post with a VERY light hearted approach.

I saw this post from you:

And couldn't help but smile. YEARS ago, I LOVED for a new Flight Instructor Applicant to show up in my oral room and drop that little gem. The conversation goes something like this: So.... let me get this straight. The yoke controls airspeed and the throttle controls altitude? Just pull back on the yoke if I want to slow down?

You and I both know that pitch and power are absolutely linked. You can't change one without changing the other. And yes... there are 2 ways of explaining this concept, the Navy way and the Airline way. But on occasion I would have a student try to defend the simplicity of your statement to the death. It usually took about 30 minutes before the applicant was a quivering pile of goo infront of the chalkboard trying to defend his idea. I just always got a kick out watching someone fall on their sword trying to defend an idea they didn't understand. Maybe I'm just sick and twisted and enjoyed the suffering of others.

Anyhoo.... just a funny memory for me and wanted you to know you made me smile. Ok, back to lurking.
Another thing that get people is.... the only thing a wing knows is airspeed..... wrong, angle of attack.

I took a friend up once in a Piper Cherokee 140 with the hershey bar wing. We were at about 4500' and he had told me that pitch is what you use to gain altitude, and he does it all the time with his RC planes. I said that his RC plane was so over powered it was hard for him to see what was really going on. So I told him to climb to 5500' and try to do it at about 200-300fpm. Well at about 5000' we were down to 55mph from 90, the stall horn goes off, and we stalled, and it was a stall that even took me a bit of guard as when the wing dropped we ended up on our sides at 90 degrees, not sure if anyone knows, but the hershey bar wing was a really bad wing once you stalled it.

I then took him through a few accelerated stalls, he could not believe you could stall a wing at 110 mph. The 140 was a pig, and stalled without a bunch of warning, but it showed him a wing can stall at any speed, it is all angle of attach.

Rock On

Dag
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:15 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack747 View Post
Wow I cant believe i just read all 5oo pages of this amazing build.
Very inspiring!

Wish I would have found this thread sooner.
keep up the good work.
Thanks!!!

I only hope it is flying by page 1000.

Dag
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:19 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrim View Post
Hi!

I found this thread today while browsing the forum for something to brighten my exam reading days, and WOW. I thought I'd just read through, and then I discovered I was on page 3 of 500!

My own rc flying experience is limited to two beginner planes, but knowing a thing or two about structural engineering, I'm completely impressed by this immense undertaking! Your patience and level of craftsmanship is awesome!

By quickly skimming the thread (about 10 pages at a time), I understand you have overcome problems in more than one area. I'm definitely gonna follow your project till the end.

Keep up the good work, and good luck!
Thanks!
It has been a long and hard road, but a ton of fun, structurally I really feel good, but I also felt good about wife 1.0 (she had a bad mainframe). If my wing design works, I am set, and I just can't wait to get her into the air.

Thanks, Dag
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:21 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stokes View Post
I've only recently found this thread, and only skimmed most of it 'cos it's just too big. But all I can say is WOW incredible.
I would never be able to build anything like this I know I don't have the skills but I can dream, and live vicariously through your build. Thank you so much Dag for bringing it to us. By the way my kids are knocked out by it too.
Changing the subject a bit, you've got to love the Kiwis for their front but take a look at Thompson's safety video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjHCc6TZhaM

Richard
I really like this, they need to have more kids doing things, like maybe running our government.

Thanks, Dag
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:22 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdr.Instigator View Post
The hell with it Dag..

Small Helis are for sissies.. Build one from scratch.. Shall we say, 20 foot rotors?

Come on, You Can Do It!!!
I would love a SH-3 Sea King with about a 144" rotor.

Not sure where I could get the parts for a 144" rotor, but man would that be cool.

Thanks, Dag
Old Jun 01, 2010, 06:45 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,000 Posts
I wish I had this one 3-4 weeks ago:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

LOL, Dag
Old Jun 01, 2010, 07:01 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,064 Posts
Should be a mandatory watch.
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jun 01, 2010, 01:56 PM
Joined Dec 2009
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdr.Instigator View Post

At "Martial"

You didn't help any... your comment alone makes me understand the kind of person you are.. My ignore list might just grow a little bigger later on today..

Wasn't intended to be insulting. I should have put a smiley face after the comment to indicate non-seriousness. No offense to anybody!
Martial is offline Find More Posts by Martial
Old Jun 01, 2010, 02:10 PM
Wichita, Ks.
Joined Feb 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
I wish I had this one 3-4 weeks ago:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

LOL, Dag
That was great! I agree, everyone should have to watch it!
n001pa is offline Find More Posts by n001pa
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:56 PM View Post
randychid
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:59 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randychid View Post
Why didnt you attack this guy Hoaxer? What a joke. I guess if I would have worded my post like this the attacks about my mother and "retarded" kids wouldnt have come up? Thanks Hoax......Just back from the Caribbean and I see I have been renting space in your head the whole time.. to easy..BTW can you answer Zoots question at least? slap slap
He's back.............
Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:59 PM View Post
randychid
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while randychid edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:09 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randychid View Post
How about talking about this guys mother too Hoax? Maybe his (Dags words not mine) "retarded" kid? Come on Dag. This is like Al Capone's vault and your Geraldo.
Whatever your beef is with Dag, perhaps the fact he's doing something big or getting praise or whatever, let it go, no one here is going to be persuaded by your rambling arguments. I've looked at enough of your posts to see you have left a smoking trail of arguments and rants to anyone that gets in your way from users to moderators, if you're that angry in life just log off and go find something that you enjoy, we don't have time to play this game. This place is about enjoying the hobby and all that goes with it, there is no reason for you to come in guns blazing, many of us are very friendly people until pushed too far, let's keep things on the friendly side and all enjoy...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter