HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2008, 07:57 PM
hobby-asia.com
Malaysia
Joined Apr 2006
466 Posts
Discussion
Break-in new motor?

guys, i have a couple of motors that behave the same, for the 1st few time of flying with brand new motor, u can feel that its really powerful, but then about after 10times of flying, the motor starts to get slow. And this happen to not only 1 motor, about 6 of my motors behave the same.

So i was wondering if i shd do any break-in / run-in these outrunner motor like we do for nitro engine. thats the only thing i can think of that might cause it. thanks.
uniquexme is offline Find More Posts by uniquexme
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2008, 08:05 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,291 Posts
Outrunners are brushless, so there is nothing to run in. Id be looking at your battery packs.
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Sep 05, 2008, 08:18 PM
Joined May 2008
144 Posts
Yeah, nothing to really break in on brushless motors. Unless for some odd reason you're bearings are getting tight. Are you flying in salt water?
jbarr2000 is offline Find More Posts by jbarr2000
Old Sep 05, 2008, 09:57 PM
hobby-asia.com
Malaysia
Joined Apr 2006
466 Posts
hmm, battery wise is ok, coz i have about 6 lipos, then whenever i use a new motor, wah, i m very satisfied at the 1st few flight, but then like i said after about 10-20 flights, it become slower and slower. like for example, recently i got a motor, 1st 10 flights, i m able to climb unlimited vertical, then recently, it climb half of the height compared to when new. really strange!! bearings are all fine. well, maybe its the wind i guess. hha.. thanks guys
Old Sep 05, 2008, 10:42 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
Does the motors have the same RPMs as when you first got them? Can you tell if the RPMs are still about the same? Do the motors run slower now, all the time?
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Sep 06, 2008, 06:53 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,261 Posts
Could it be related to plugging in the lipo while the Throttle in not all the way down? The ESC got programed by mistake that 3/4 throttle is full throttle? I don't know how to word this but it sounds like you may need to re-program you ESC to know the throttle range.

Ron
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 06, 2008, 07:06 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
If you are pushing cheap motors really hard you may be getting them hot enough to demagnetize the magnets

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Sep 06, 2008, 10:05 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,924 Posts
I've been touching the bell on the outrunners to check for heating on the bench and after flights. And never felt them more than warm, never hot.

But I noticed recently that if I hand held the motor (with no prop) by the 8mm mounting stub/bearing housing and spun it up that the stub and housing quickly heated up.

It makes sense that the heat is in the stator, and maybe a tiny amount from the bearings too, and that the path for wicking it out is the mounting stub.

If you can get the magnets hot enough to lose magnetism the armature and stub must be getting very hot at that point.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:25 AM
Time for another motto!
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2006
1,413 Posts
If you have demagnetized the magnets, the motor will have a very high kV (if the stator didn't fry, that is). It will not lose rpm because of too much heat, unless the bearings are failing.
I cant think of a failure mode that fits the description, apart from losing the thrill of a new plane after 10 flights with it?
JelleB is offline Find More Posts by JelleB
Old Sep 06, 2008, 11:32 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,261 Posts
Any signs of vibration? Prop save, Prop balance, some of the cheaper motors some times have a pressed on Bell and it comes loose.

Just tossin thoughts

Is it always the Same ESC, maybe it is having issues.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Sep 06, 2008, 04:30 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Probably weak cheap magnets. Might be the windings breaking down.
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Sep 06, 2008, 09:35 PM
hobby-asia.com
Malaysia
Joined Apr 2006
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn
Does the motors have the same RPMs as when you first got them? Can you tell if the RPMs are still about the same? Do the motors run slower now, all the time?
i m not sure of those as i dun have tools for measuring the RPMs. They run slower now, all the time compared to brand new.
Old Sep 06, 2008, 09:40 PM
hobby-asia.com
Malaysia
Joined Apr 2006
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldguy
Could it be related to plugging in the lipo while the Throttle in not all the way down? The ESC got programed by mistake that 3/4 throttle is full throttle? I don't know how to word this but it sounds like you may need to re-program you ESC to know the throttle range.

Ron
it can't be coz i have even tried using new ESC and reprogrammed them.
Old Sep 06, 2008, 09:45 PM
hobby-asia.com
Malaysia
Joined Apr 2006
466 Posts
well, i also can't think of the reason for that cause. but i have tried using different ESC, reprogrammed of course. As for heat wise, i m always careful for not letting them run too hot to touch.

the reason that i can think of is maybe i shd prop it down from recommended size. maybe it gets hot in the air, and cool down after i land it, as it will throttle down and let them glide and land.

anyway, thanks guys for all the advise, hiaks.......
Old Sep 06, 2008, 10:20 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,774 Posts
Bearings. Tower Pro motors? I eat bearings really fast on the 2409-12 motors on 4S. I may get 3 weeks on 3S. Now I just replace the bearings as soon as I get the new motors.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman