HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2001, 01:12 PM
I'm disoriented!
Mt. Laurel, NJ, USA
Joined Aug 2000
948 Posts
Why not?

Make a motor mount (rails or firewall) that allow the removal of the motor with a couple of screws. Pull out or push it in through the firewall, depending on the model.

Now, with the gearbox, it might be a pain to fly both in the same day. You'd want the Loctite on the mounting screws to dry overnight, at least.

Feasible, but not practical.
ChrisD is offline Find More Posts by ChrisD
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2001, 01:14 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Marcus
Technically, no reason why not.

Snags?

A "fast disconnect" is still going to cost time. My MaxCim motors come out of their custom mounts fast - one hoseclamp. The connections - 3 Sermos for power, one 5 pin connector motor-ESC sensor wires.

Velcro the ESC into the model, put a flylead connection in the ESC - RX lead so you aren't fumbling with plugging / unplugging out the RX itself.

Gearing - you might be able to hit a "happy medium" ratio that will allow you to keep the same gearing and just swap a prop. I can pull the box off a MaxCim, swap pinions and refit in around 5 mins. Would rather not at the field, as grass is down there beckoning to my pinion, small screws etc

Battery - leave it in the model.

You could - but not sure you'd enjoy doing it too many times in the day. I have heard of a guy who had several MaxCim motors in different models, and swapped one ESC between models.

Why compromise - just do the Giles, it'll be a lot more fun to fly than the Midiwatt

An alternate would be Sig's good old Four Star 40 - lots of aerobatics, close to as good as the Midiwatt if you just want to loaf around the field slow-isj

regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 30, 2001, 01:28 PM
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
803 Posts
I suppose it might be possible to make an interchangable front end. You could make a "mount" that would hold the motor and ESC all in one unit. This "mount" would then bold on and off the firewall by just disconnecting the battery, ESC leads to the receiver, and undoing the bolts that hold it on the firewall. Should only take a minute or two to undo at the field.

SheldonYoung is offline Find More Posts by SheldonYoung
Old May 30, 2001, 01:42 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,430 Posts
This might help: http://www.marcee.org/Articles/SlidePowerUnit.html .
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old May 31, 2001, 12:03 AM
OCD
King, NC
Joined Aug 2000
485 Posts
Is this possible? 1 motor and 2 planes

I am wondering if I could buy a brushless motor system that could be swaped between two planes. One plane being the Midiwatt (highwing, 510 sq in, 4 lb) and the other (not built yet) being a scratch built GreatPlanes Giles 202, 46 size (i.e AnnMarie Cross' Giles). I know cells and gearing might change between planes but if this is possible what would I be up against?

marcus

Wright is offline Find More Posts by Wright