SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2007, 05:18 PM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined May 2006
120 Posts
Discussion
EasyStar Brushless Question

I just received the kit version of the model. I already have a brushless motor waiting to go in. My question is, where should I put the speed controller. Also, do I need to get another wire (consisting of 3 wires) to go from the speed controller to the BL motor? My motor did not come with extremely long wires, only about an inch long, just leads. I can take some pictures if it is unclear about what I mean. Thanks for any help.
bobberrific is offline Find More Posts by bobberrific
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2007, 05:33 PM
Dublin, CA
Joined Jan 2007
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberrific
I just received the kit version of the model. I already have a brushless motor waiting to go in. My question is, where should I put the speed controller. Also, do I need to get another wire (consisting of 3 wires) to go from the speed controller to the BL motor? My motor did not come with extremely long wires, only about an inch long, just leads. I can take some pictures if it is unclear about what I mean. Thanks for any help.

I assume you got a brushless ESC and one that will support your motor. The stock speed controller will not work with your brushless motor. You will basically run each wire from the speed controller to the motor. If the motor is spinning the wrong way just switch any two wire, and that should fix it. As far as where to mount the ESC, that is up to you. Some people like to mount it outside the plane to get more cooling. Others simply leave it inside the canopy and provide cooling to the canopy by making some vent holes. Buy extra wires, so you can run it from the motor to the esc. Hope this helps.

John
JT_Redmist is offline Find More Posts by JT_Redmist
Old May 08, 2007, 05:46 PM
Joined May 2006
120 Posts
Yes it does, Thanks John.

I did get a BL speed controller so no problems there, it was just about the wire.
Any specific type of wires? Any gauge?
Old May 08, 2007, 07:11 PM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
Depends on how many amps. But i would go with 16AWG. That is rated for approx 25 to 75 amps. Could go with 18AWG rated upto around 25ish amps give or take a few amps. Don;t use solid core/copper wiring.
skyking1231 is offline Find More Posts by skyking1231
Old May 08, 2007, 10:19 PM
Joined May 2006
120 Posts
Thanks sky,

I'll be running a 40 amp ESC so I'll probably pick up some 16 gauge at a local store.
Old May 08, 2007, 10:28 PM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
40 amps in an EZ star ????

What kind of power setup are you running?
Old May 09, 2007, 07:41 AM
USA, AL, Montgomery
Joined Feb 2006
304 Posts
Mount it on top of the fuse in front of the motor mount area. Its not the best looking but it keeps it cool. You can run the wires right out the small vent cut out in front of the motor. You will need to drill a small hole into the fuse to run the battery hook up wires. You will also need to add some wire to your battery hook up leads so it will reach your battery. The battery area in a EZ has very little air flow and the ESC gets pretty warm in there. Good luck, mxerman
mxerman is offline Find More Posts by mxerman
Old May 09, 2007, 10:16 AM
Joined May 2006
120 Posts
I probably won't even get up to 40 amps since it's mainly for AP, but I've heard this setup can reach it.

Align 430L Brushless Motor(2550KV).
Max Amps Lipo 2100HV 3S
E-flight 40 amp ESC
And a master airscrew 3 blade prop 6x4

I'm definitely sitting back on the throttle until I can get some carbon fiber strips. =)

MX,

I have heard about doing this, what gauge should the battery wires be? Also 16? (I assume so since the battery would be drawing the 40 amps, I also assume that the 3 motor wires would be drawing the same? This might be the best option so that I can have room to put my camera in the fuselage.
Old May 09, 2007, 10:55 AM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
I would go with whatever the max amps the battery can dish out. It is not always the same Batt leads and ESC Leads.

Kind of like putting a hitch on a car. You go with the biggest one the car can handle. Not what you are gonna tow.
Old May 09, 2007, 12:34 PM
Joined May 2006
120 Posts
Ok good to know, nice analogy too. The battery can put out 42 so 16 gauge it is!
Old May 09, 2007, 05:48 PM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
Do a google search. Should find out somewhere what the proper guage wire should be for a given Amp. I usually got my info for cheapbatterypacks.com...i scrolled down to their wire section to get an idea what i needed. They tell you an approx rating each wire is (amp-wise).
Old May 12, 2007, 08:06 PM
Joined May 2006
120 Posts
Pictures are worth a thousand words, thanks!

I was wondering where I would put the ESC. Looks to be good for proper cooling.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

-Bob
Old May 16, 2007, 05:57 PM
Joined May 2006
120 Posts
Paul,

I'm still shaky about doing an install with wires that may potentially melt. I picked up some 16 gauge primary wire at the local hardware store. It seems like it would work but I've been reading some other threads to cross reference this and it seems as though there is a lot of different opinions on this. Does anyone have a working setup with extending the wires from the battery to the ESC in the easystar?
Old May 16, 2007, 08:39 PM
Joined May 2007
39 Posts
Bobberrific,
How is the conversion going? It sounds like the same conversion I have been looking for. I've been using the Easystar for Aerial Photography and mild aerobics and I need more power and duration.

I'm assuming the motor you've chosen is the same physical size as the stock motor so would be an easy swap. With the 3 blade prop, you don't need to cut the fuselage for clearance. Is that right?

Any recommedations on where to purchase the components you've chosen?
Thanks
snuckleton is offline Find More Posts by snuckleton