HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2007, 04:34 PM
Joined Jun 2006
22 Posts
Discussion
Ikarus Piccolo Thread - Discussion

I couldn't believe there wasn't one of these already.

Post your advice, mod's and pic's here.
FIREotter is offline Find More Posts by FIREotter
Last edited by FIREotter; Apr 11, 2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2007, 06:04 PM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
www.dhrc.rchomepage.com Gloucester/Cheltenham Gloucester, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
2,161 Posts
Back in the day for a few years, all the info was at www.ikarus.net (forum recently moved), which holds 200,000 Eco Piccolo posts.

There are some links (some dead now) on my site at http://dhrc.rchomepage.com/ as well as some old FP video, including the Ikarus AirWolf in action .
Some of the mods mentioned have evolved onto the more recent FP releases out today.
DarkHorse is offline Find More Posts by DarkHorse
Old Apr 09, 2007, 08:17 PM
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
133 Posts
yes, I feel quite alone here myself, I have three piccolos and a fp hornet. put my helis down for a year, come back, and all the sudden everythings made in china
robw is offline Find More Posts by robw
Old Apr 09, 2007, 08:47 PM
Flights leave daily!
Virginia
Joined Oct 2002
749 Posts
Ah, the ole Ikarus site! I remember back in 01-03, it was the place to hang out! Peeps were cool, and lots of Piccolo info when it ruled, of course it was also one of only about 3 Micro's out then!
AirMicro is offline Find More Posts by AirMicro
Old Apr 09, 2007, 09:44 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
303 Posts
Well, I have a fun Pic that I've yet to hover; I've done some mods to stiffen the head,and also made a carbon fiber cage so I don't break the tail rotor...again. If I had a clear enclosed space of some size, it'd be easier to learn.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Apr 10, 2007, 08:40 AM
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
133 Posts
ok, mine used to look like this. a typical fun, only mods were mainshaft rode on ball bearings, and added a swashplate ball, after that it would hover hands off.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 08:49 AM
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
133 Posts
recently Added the Ikarus Huey body. was surprised by how good it looks, and the weight with no batt was 280g, almost exactly the same as my fp Hornet. only thing is that I found Depron is very hard to work with, and melts with contact to anything other than water. This is a "no crash" heli, as any damage to the fuselage would probably be impossible to repair.

Inside view:

Still trying to get it to fly good on 8 nimh cells, my main blades were cut, because I used to run an Orion, but the Huey does not want to fly on cut blades, unless I find a pinion larger than 10t.
Last edited by robw; Apr 10, 2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:23 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robw
ok, mine used to look like this. a typical fun, only mods were mainshaft rode on ball bearings, and added a swashplate ball, after that it would hover hands off.
Mine MIGHT hover hands off-once I get it out of ground effect.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:58 AM
Joined Jun 2006
22 Posts
Looking good, keep posting, I'm sure our community is still buzzing around somewhere be a shame to loose all that valuable info. I was just surprised that for what is probably the best first micro, there was not a huge devoted thread.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:45 PM
Flights leave daily!
Virginia
Joined Oct 2002
749 Posts
Here was my Piccolo back in '02. I added Pierre's Aluminum swash, MJD Canopy I custom painted and Micro-flite landing gear! I learned to fly on it, and kept it about a year, then moved on to Hummingbirds when they came out!

AirMicro is offline Find More Posts by AirMicro
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:29 PM
Bird of Pray
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
673 Posts
Hi!
I have a modified piccolo V2 with cut blades so rotor is now 38,8 cm. Tail boom is 23 cm and modified flybar is the standard 20cm so it flies very aggressive! :-) I have the brusless W2 from Ikarus with a 13T to increase headspeed even more, the Alu rotorhead and the anti rotation mod. Weight without battery and canopy is 196 gr. it flies fantastic! I also have the newest Hornet X CP. Am cutting that one down as well at the moment. Rotor is now almost 42 cm, weight is now 210 gr. without canopy and battery. I want to lose at least another 40 gr. on this one. :-) Since I keep making my birds smaller and smaller I just ordered an EP100 Pro and an EP100 with 3 blades... But I guess I will try to make these ones smaller too..... ;-)
Flying Dutchy is offline Find More Posts by Flying Dutchy
Old Apr 12, 2007, 05:23 PM
Joined Jun 2006
22 Posts
Sounds cool. any pics?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:12 PM
Bird of Pray
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
673 Posts
there you go!

I changed the standard piccolo servo´s(appr. 10 gr.) for the 306BB (6.6 gr.)which came from the Hornet. The weight is now 188 grams without battery and canopy. Cyclic is very extreme now but I see this as my next step in the learning process..... Now I am trying to find lighter motors who will produce the same headspead with a 2S lipo. I use 3S lipo´s now. The W2 and Twister on the Hornet Weigh 45 grams each. Flyware motors weigh 31/32 grams and the EP100 motors only 25 grams.... There is a flyware 20 grams version but I don´t think it has the power to take them up.... But I guess I will try one and if it does not work I will use this one for a future palm size project...... And I just got an email that my EP100 PRO and EP100 Hughes 3 blade are on their way from Taiwan to the Netherlands!!!!
Flying Dutchy is offline Find More Posts by Flying Dutchy
Old Apr 14, 2007, 01:33 AM
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
133 Posts
Piccolo Maddness!!

some great looking picc's guys.

I might need some therapy soon, I now have 2 more piccolos see.... it started that I needed a few parts for teh Huey, soo I figured I'd get a Pic Fun, just for spares...well they have this crazy buy 1 get one free deal going on, so I decided to Upgrade and Buy 2 V2's, ($69) and use one for spares, and make one flyable. Well, I needed electronics for the New V2, and after much thought and pricing of cheaper 4 in 1's and gyros and stuff, I came to the conclution that I wanted to continue Using Ikarus electronics in the new heli, so I bought the Piccoboard accessory package which came with 2 Piccolo funs for $1.00 extra, so I think it was $144 for piccoboard, 2 servos, battery and charger, and 2 piccolo funs. I think I spent over $300 on my first Piccolo fun set up, and that only came with one helicopter. To add the Icing on the cake, the wife is starting to show interest in Helis! she wants to try flying on G3, so one of these piccs might end up being hers... man I need a beer.

oh, if ya look, you can see my 2 picco-z's to the right, so thats 7 picc's in this pic.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:26 AM
Joined Jun 2006
22 Posts
Anyone know what parts by other manufactures roughley fit the piccolo? Maingears etc. anything that improves the heli or replaces stock parts with better and or cheeper ones. Anyone using any non ikarus parts?