Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterF View Post
PeterF's B2 build log

Vasan 55mm fan

The Vasafan link towards the end of the thread shows some of the tests I have done with Vaclav's 55mm beastie, more than 800g of thrust, probably the best 55mm set up (best meaning highest thrust / best efficiency) if you put the right motor in, but at a cost, 4 motors, 4 EDFs around 400 euro.
Damn, I love large deltas!!! Wonderful build I sent you a PM
bloodline is offline Find More Posts by bloodline
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:36 PM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Took my Vulcan out for her first full system test today. Did some fantastic fast taxi runs.

All my concerns about lack of power with my EDF choice vanished today!

Despite choosing some thick balsa, the total weight including a couple of 5000mAh 3S lipos came to just under 4.5Kg and she was off like a rocket. I had to fight to keep her on the ground (which was important as I live in the centre of London). Happily I managed to build up quite a crowd and a teacher from a local school had asked me to do a talk for the children and all the children watching want to build their own now!! Result!

The tests came to a natural end when I taxied it into a car, minor wing damage... Easily repairable

I will post some videos as soon as I have uploaded them.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:54 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
gotta hate it when stuff like that just jumps right out in front of your plane. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
Going back to late 1990s 4.5kg (10lb) EDFs were being put into the air with 4 x 70mm fans on brushed motors with around 500g thrust per fan (for example the prototype for the B2 I am building) and they flew OK, nothing startling like unlimited vertical but they flew. As you can get that amount of thrust (and more) out of a 55mm fan now then the set up is fine as you have found.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:07 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
gotta hate it when stuff like that just jumps right out in front of your plane. LOL.
By freaky coincidence it was actually my own car that somehow managed to get in the way

Here is a photo after the prang, notice the damage to the port wing leading edge. Clean break between the ribs, it will be an easy fix.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:36 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterF View Post
Going back to late 1990s 4.5kg (10lb) EDFs were being put into the air with 4 x 70mm fans on brushed motors with around 500g thrust per fan (for example the prototype for the B2 I am building) and they flew OK, nothing startling like unlimited vertical but they flew. As you can get that amount of thrust (and more) out of a 55mm fan now then the set up is fine as you have found.
The whole ducting set up I have in this model is sub optimal (intakes are a bit rough too), 2 kinks around the support boom... I expect to be able to get more thrust, now I have a better understanding of what I'm doing, I have figured out a way to support the wing without such a ridiculously large support boom.

Ok, breaking news... My girl friend has suggested we scale up for the next one... 8ft over the existing 6ft... I'm 100% behind her, but we simply don't have the space to build it that big

Anyone want to loan me a large workshop in West London? Hahahahaha
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:31 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Fixed the wing now
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:27 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,285 Posts
This may have been posted on this thread before,apologies if that's the case-
http://www.falcon-aviation.co.uk/www...&search=Vulcan.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:06 PM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
This may have been posted on this thread before,apologies if that's the case-
http://www.falcon-aviation.co.uk/www...&search=Vulcan.
Stuart
I followed Dave Johnson's build over at the LMA forum a 20ft Vulcan is probably the dream!

Curious though, I think the scale is slightly off at the wing tip, but that could be my eyes playing tricks on me!? You can see him fly this beast at Woodford (next to XM603) on YouTube
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:19 PM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
A video my girl friend made for her YouTube followers, showing us testing our Vulcan:

Avro Vulcan crashes into a car in London (3 min 25 sec)
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:57 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
she's friggin hilarious. love her.

AND, love the go big or go home attitude. what's not to like? she's gonna get you in trouble once she sees that 20 footer and wants you to build one. LMAO.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:40 AM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
she's friggin hilarious. love her.

AND, love the go big or go home attitude. what's not to like? she's gonna get you in trouble once she sees that 20 footer and wants you to build one. LMAO.

Michelle does deserve a lot of credit for this model, she did most of the drawing, cutting and gluing... Not to mention nagging me when my motivation fell off a bit!

As this project came together we discussed just how large we might want to go for the next one, and the figure we homed in on was 37ft (about 11m) as the biggest we could realistically go with our 2 man time/resources/budget... But the limiting factor here is space... The smallest work area would probably need to be almost double that size, and we just can't afford that (England bing a bit smaller than Canada).

At that size, we are entering hombuild airplane teratory (see "A plane is born" with Mark Evans on YouTube to see what UK regulations are like)... Still something to aim for
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:53 PM
Avro Vulcan Enthusiast
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2011
59 Posts
I have become rather attached to the black paint scheme... So it is with great sadness that I announce the stencilling has been applied to the plane... And the cammo will go on at the weekend :'(
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:09 PM
Guatemala, Guate
Joined Jul 2007
281 Posts
Great build , very entertaining video.

The black looks good but flying it from the ground is another story.

GOODLUCK ON MAIDEN.

Cheers

Juan
juanjulian is offline Find More Posts by juanjulian