HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2014, 03:50 PM
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Feb 2008
273 Posts
Discussion
Futaba EX6 batteries

Okay the battery that comes with this radio will not last a whole day sailing, so the big question is what to put in it? LIPO or LiFe? Life is closer to voltage recommended but lipo is just a little more fully charged? I have read of
Both being used? Looking for your thoughts. Please give specs as well.

Thank you

Andrew
A.B. is offline Find More Posts by A.B.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2014, 04:45 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa Beach
Joined Jan 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.B. View Post
Okay the battery that comes with this radio will not last a whole day sailing, so the big question is what to put in it? LIPO or LiFe? Life is closer to voltage recommended but lipo is just a little more fully charged? I have read of

Thank you

Andrew
======
My Futaba T8FG has a NiMH battery-don't recall the mah but its probably good for 3-4 hours. I would use NiMH or LiFE- not LiPO after all the horror stories I've heard. LiFE is a much safer form of lithium battery. Any lithium battery requires a charger suited just for it-you can't charge LiPO with a charger designed for LiFE. You can buy a charger that will charge both LiPO and LiFE by switching to the one you have. I use LiFE batteries for the boat.
I deal with Tony Stillman at Radio South-he's moved north but you can google Radio South. I've dealt with him for 20 years-he's very knowledgeable.
DLord is online now Find More Posts by DLord
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:15 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Hi Andrew.

I have that same radio and these are the batteries that I use. They are great and last for two full days of sailing before swapping out for a full pack or recharge.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ipo_Pack_.html

Couple of hints.

1. you cannot use the built in charge plug - you must take the battery out and charge on a lipo charger.

2. I install a 6 inch servo extension lead into the Tx. Then plug the battery into the extension. This is much easier that trying to plug the battery into the Tx pins every time.

3. buy two packs so that you can do a major regatta and not worry about recharging pack - plus you will always have a spare just in case..

To assist with the shipping costs - try to do a group purchase. There are some great battery packs and chargers on this site. So you should find some friends who need things. eg the transmitter glove is great.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ap_Ready_.html

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:55 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,002 Posts
If planning to use Nimh the Sanyo endloop 2300mah cell are the best as they retain their charge up to a year without weeping.These days a Turnigy Acucell 6 charger from Hobby King is $25 which can charge all chemistries including your car.The stock battery in your radio is prob a 600mah.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:07 AM
Joined Apr 2008
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.B. View Post

Thank you

Andrew
I use Tenery 2600 NImh aa batteries for all my computer radios. You can make your own pack cheap if you can solder. About $12 US and you can use the original charger but it will take longer. Or you can find a cheap wall charger with higher charge rate.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:14 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
This is what I use in my 6EX radio, great battery pack. You will need a charger that can charge LIFE batteries. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbico-LiFe...-/360899924965

Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:42 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa Beach
Joined Jan 2010
213 Posts
LiFE

This is a post I did on the boatdesign.net thread about my boat to explain my choice of batteries:

Thanks for your concern guys but everything is ok with the batteries -at least according to Tony Stillman of Radio South where I bought them. I've done business with Tony for about 20 years and he's never steered me wrong yet. It was Tony that pointed out how much safer LiFe batteries are than LiPo.
As to charging: these batteries were nearly fully charged before I stuck them on the new charger at under .5 C-not 10C! They are 2100mah so one C=2.1 and they were topped off at a 1 amp charge rate as per Tony's recommendation. Final voltage on these 6.6v batteries was 7v on one and 6.9 on the other. I have an infrared thermometer that uses a laser for non-contact temperature measurement-and the batteries never exceeded 87F during charging. Never exceed temperature is 140 degrees F. The maximum charge rate on these batteries is 3C, but the manufacturer recommends 1C for better battery life. The charger is specifically made to charge LiPo or LiFe batteries-you have to select which one. If you select the wrong one the machine automatically senses it and won't work. With all the sophistication of the charger, it does not automatically shut down when full charge is reached -it just sets off an alarm which is very loud. But thats ok because I would never walk away from a lithium battery under charge!
I have a neat little switch from RMG(Guyatt-that made the sail winch) that includes a votage regulator to send 5 volts to the reciever and the full battery voltage to the winch.
----
When I built production RC models, I used nicads and toward the end, nimh(nickel metal hydride)batteries. On the F3 foiler, the battery was twice as big as these batteries for something like 1100MAH. It was big enough to use as F& A adjustable ballast and was attached outside the hull on a carbon tube slide.
---

==========================
Note: this battery is rated 10C which means it can deliver a maximum current of 10 times the "C" value of the battery. For this battery that means 10X 2.1=21A. 13 Wh means: 2.1 amps at 6.19v for one hour,or 1.97 amps @ 6.6 v for one hour.
DLord is online now Find More Posts by DLord
Old Aug 14, 2014, 09:27 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Jul 2008
147 Posts
life batterys

I have been using them in my fleet for 4 years and love them they do not discharge when sitting in my radio box. they are extremely light and safe even if the boat sinks and I know that first hand I had a soling sink in a fresh water pond for 11 days till I found it on the bottom and the battery was bad but did not explode or puff up. I saw an ec12 with a lipo burn when the battery failed on the water.
Mike

ktm500mx is offline Find More Posts by ktm500mx