SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:14 PM
bashing on vancouver island
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
Build Log
a project of epic proportions

ok so this is going to be my first attempt at a build log. its been a while since i have did anything with "toy" grade rcs. i found 2 super cool 1/6th scale rc humvees on a used website and picked them up yesterday. the brand name of them is "ultimate soldiers" and i guess they were sold at walmart a few years back. they originally retailed for 200 bucks. they are digital proportional with changable crystals and hobby style pistol radio. they run off of a 7ah lead acid battery simular to a powerwheels vehicle. they also have a "tow" missle launcher that can be fired from a button on the transmitter. i tested both of them, and they worked ok, but had typical toy grade flaws like glitching and sloppy servo control. seeing how i have 2 of them, my plan is to keep one stock and convert the other to hobby grade running gear. heres some pictures of one of them.
veggieslinger is offline Find More Posts by veggieslinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:00 AM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
the humvees have a skidplate that completely covers the bottom of the truck, as well as actuall wheel wells. it made it impossible to see the chassis at all, so took it off as well as the body. i was quite suprised to see a steel tube chassis and dual 550 size motors. this was perfect because i have a brushed esc that will run both motors and will handle 3 cell lipo. i mocked up where the servo sits, and already see im gonna have a dilemma on my hands. the servo has to be mounted ontop of the front differential case, so i cant drill or modify it in any way to mount the servo. servo tape alone wont work, i may end up having to permanently glue a servo in place for it to work. im hoping to use a waterproof servo so i can run the humvee in the creek down the street from my house. the previous owner ended up putting a really nice set of hobby quality tires on the stock rims. they are mickey thompson baja claws. heres a few more pics
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:43 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,390 Posts
Looking good so far. Cool project.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:27 AM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
very cool project turning a toy into a legit rc i didnt realize they were 1/6th scale at first
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
ya they are huge! thats what sold me on them. i googled them before i bought them, and found very little on them other than a short thread about how terrible a product they are. it didnt deter me though. hoping to get a bit more work done on them this afternoon.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:53 PM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
ok so i got a bit of free time tonight to do a bit more work on the humvee. i went ahead and epoxied a bluebird digital mg waterproof servo in place. i believe the servo is rated at 14kg of torque so i think it should be ok. if the glue job does not hold up, i will have to figure something else out. i dont really have the ability to fabricate custom parts, so i am kind of limited to what i have on hand. one cool thing i did discover when i removed a cover for the transmission is that it has really beefy metal tranny gears. they are also a common pitch. mod1 32pitch. this could come in handy if i ever want to change out the stock pinion gears. im going to be using a novak super rooster esc for this project. it will be able to run both motors on 3 cell lipos. ive already wired it up and have radio gear temporarily mounted to the chassis, so i might even be able to take it for a test run tomorrow after work. i hope to have more pics and maybe even a video posted tomorrow
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:07 AM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
cant wait to see the progress and what parts do you need to get made
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:16 PM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
ok so the epoxy did not work at all. im gonna have to take the front differential case off and see if there is any room for drilling into it. i will have to come up with some sort of "servo hold down" plate or something that can be screwed into the diff case. this is more work than i wanted to do, but its really my only option now. idont think any other kind of glue is gonna work. oh well it comes with the territory i guess, issues like this are common with converting toy grade to hobby grade.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:43 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
What about attaching a plate to the screws in the front below the servo. Then you might have a place to screw in the new servo. Can't really tell if there is enough room to go under the steering there, but it might allow you to secure a beefier servo.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:53 PM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
ok i think i see what you mean. if that worked, i could possibly avoid having to take the diff case off to see if there is any way of mounting it that way. thank you for your imput. the girlfriend is spending the night at her sisters tonight so i should have some time to tinker on the humvee and post some more pictures
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
Looks like a neat project to keep you busy over the winter.. you might be better off mounting a plate to the diff case and then attaching the servo to it.. Hard to tell in the pictures what it looks like. If that isn't feasable.. Use either shoo glue or Gorilla Glue.. Gorilla glue will be more permanent, but the stuff is strong..
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
i do have shoo goo, i will keep that in mind. ive done quite a few toy conversions and getting the steering servo to work properly is always the biggest challenge. i wish there was a way to convert 5 wire servos to 3 wire
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
ok so i managed to get the front diff case apart, and found 2 good things. first, there was enough room on either side to drill holes so i could use an aluminum plate to keep the servo in place. yay! second, the drive outputs are on nice big bearings. because this is a toy grade truck i thought it would be bushings. nice little suprise. with the servo in place i decided to ziptie the radio and esc to the frame so i could take it for a test run. unfortunatly i couldnt get video, but its safe to say that it is a bit of a slowpoke. not concerned with that, but i am not happy with the steering radius. the rear diff is locked which doesnt help, but the axle carrier hits the sreering block and there is no way of fixing or modding the problem what i might try doing is robbing the front assembly off of the other humvee and making it 4 wheel steering. its kind of a modular design so i think it would work. heres a fewe pics of the temporary ziptie job, and pics of how the steering radius isnt very good