Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:16 AM
from Brisbane, Australia
Australia, QLD, Taigum
Joined Apr 2011
74 Posts
Question
HobbyKing 150Amp ESC's - which is better

Hi,

I have a HPI Savage Flux HP which comes with the Flux Blur ESC (rebadged Castle Creations Mamba Monster Max) which is a 150Amp ESC capable of up to 6s. However, it's died and been replaced about 3 times now and I'm tired of purchasing these expensive ESC's only to have them fry after a few months of use. I was thinking of one of the ESC's that HobbyKing sells for about half the price of these Castle creations, but I can't tell which is the better of the two or what the differences are. I was hoping people here could help me choose the best ESC between these two:

1. Hobby King 150A High performance Brushless Car ESC
2. Turnigy TrackStar 150A 1/8th Scale Brushless Car ESC

Can anyone help me choose?
andygray is offline Find More Posts by andygray
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:39 AM
bashing on vancouver island
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
the hobbyking esc has a very good track record. i have the 80 amp version, and 2 of the 150 amp versions in the mail. ive also met a couple of hard core racers in my area who swear by these escs. that was enough to convince me to buy the hobbyking escs. dont forget to buy the programming card.
veggieslinger is offline Find More Posts by veggieslinger
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:20 AM
from Brisbane, Australia
Australia, QLD, Taigum
Joined Apr 2011
74 Posts
So it's much better than the Turnigy TrackStar equivalent ESC then? What are other people's experiences? Please share :-)
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:33 AM
from Brisbane, Australia
Australia, QLD, Taigum
Joined Apr 2011
74 Posts
I did notice that the description on the HobbyKing ESC says that the ESC is not suited for 4 pole motors, but preferably 2 pole motors. I am using the Flux Tork motor that comes stock with the Savage Flux HP, but I have no idea how many poles it has. Can anyone help me with this, or tell me whether this ESC will suit a HPI Savage Flux? Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:25 PM
United States, MI, Gratiot
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
When my mamba fried, I bought a Hobbywing EZRUN-150A-PRO Brushless ESC. It has been awesome!! It's smoother, and runs cooler. It is a bit bigger but if you have the room it is far better, as far as I'm concerned. Value Hobby has them for $82 bucks. It gets very good reviews from others too.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...-150a-pro.html
RobbVII is offline Find More Posts by RobbVII
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:41 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
The Hobby King is sensored and sensorless brushless 2 pole motor. Turnigy is sensorless,brushless motor
greg54058 is offline Find More Posts by greg54058