HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:04 PM
The ProCreator
United States, CA, Claremont
Joined Jan 2004
1,033 Posts
Discussion
Home 3D printing

With a layer thickness of .25mm and model sizes up to 5.5" cubed, desktop printing can be yours for $1299. This is just short of amazing.

http://cubify.com/cube/index.aspx
Artsloper is online now Find More Posts by Artsloper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:25 PM
The ProCreator
United States, CA, Claremont
Joined Jan 2004
1,033 Posts
It gets better 6" cubed for $500

Res can be set to .1mm

http://www.solidoodle.com
Artsloper is online now Find More Posts by Artsloper
Last edited by Artsloper; Aug 06, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:18 AM
Semper Fidelis...........
United States, CA, Calimesa
Joined Dec 2003
1,472 Posts
Hey Ralph,
I think the 3d printer in the 6" version for $499.00, it is way cool. It might be a club discusiion for making pilots heads for our planes? A 6" pilot bust, would be good up to about 1/4 scale, with most of the planes being 1/10th scale, it might be able to make the whole pilot figure. Just a thought. I don't know how expensive the material is for printing, but maybe use the printer for making the first unit, then have Bill Show us how to make a mold off of that? Food for thought for Septembers meeting. Of course, Ralphy will be having the time of his life in Italy with his new bride Ali, and won't be around this month. Discussion??

Doug
Twinboom is offline Find More Posts by Twinboom
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinboom View Post
Hey Ralph,
I think the 3d printer in the 6" version for $499.00, it is way cool. It might be a club discusiion for making pilots heads for our planes? A 6" pilot bust, would be good up to about 1/4 scale, with most of the planes being 1/10th scale, it might be able to make the whole pilot figure. Just a thought. I don't know how expensive the material is for printing, but maybe use the printer for making the first unit, then have Bill Show us how to make a mold off of that? Food for thought for Septembers meeting. Of course, Ralphy will be having the time of his life in Italy with his new bride Ali, and won't be around this month. Discussion??

Doug
Doug,

I called them the day Ralph posted the link. We were looking to get a couple for work and I was getting one for home. They couldn't send me a sample, ... ?????

They said it would be a few weeks, ... still waiting and I'm not holding my breath. How long has it been?

Basically, ... if you want one, they will make you one and send it to you 2 months AFTER purchasing it. I told them I'm not buying nothing until I see a print from said printer.

Mexican stand-off anyone?

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:33 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,561 Posts
Also Doug,

It wouldn't be an ideal way to for a pilot. There is to much detail to try to clean up. When it prints, it leaves striations that have to be filled or sanded out.

Nightmare

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!