SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 20, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Jul 2011
142 Posts
Discussion
spad dagger

I have been wanting build one and noticed no cog in the instructions. Help?
3dhsedge41er is offline Find More Posts by 3dhsedge41er
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 07:09 AM
Somewhere near Parkville, Mo.
Joined May 2004
140 Posts
Spar, same as on all the other SPADs with this wing. Dagger, Dart, Demon, Dominator, all the two spar, tri-faceted wings. I preferred the Dagger after starting with Darts, I tended to get less cork-skrewing in loops and outers were better with an actual Horizontal then a V-tail. Face it, V-tails are a myth. Might work when you're trying to cut down drag BUT when you actually have two forces opposing each other when you use the surface, cancelling each other out SO V tags are less drag when you don't have to put any controls in.

Still, high performance gliders use em. But lets look at the full size Sailplane world, hmmmm? And for aircraft, very few other planes have V tails, there's the Bonanza and that one Jet trainer and, and, hmmmmmm????

Dagger takes less time to build too and flies like a heavy Stick.

Have fun. I hope somewhere out there somebody is playing 40 size bumper cars like we used to. Ahhhhh, those were the days.
MrClean is offline Find More Posts by MrClean
Old May 21, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Jul 2011
142 Posts
It looks like a nice plane but I can't find ant threads just on it. I built the fuselage and I am finding some coroplast for the wing
3dhsedge41er is offline Find More Posts by 3dhsedge41er
Old May 22, 2012, 07:36 AM
Somewhere near Parkville, Mo.
Joined May 2004
140 Posts
The threads, if they're still there, would be in the Archives. It is one of the first, best C class combat designs and as such, hasn't really been used since around 2001. AMA put it's setbacks in and the distance from safety line to the crowd for C class was pushed back to 250 feet. That's too large for most clubs so 25 size became the largest norm. There's no rudder on the plane, though there could be, so it's not a standard sport plane. There's no landing gear either, though there could be so that has a problem as well. The Demon is a low wing version of it with Gear. You notch the fuse and wing to mount it. All the tri faceted wings are a little heavy but worked great at highspeed bumper cars. Still, if you can get it you might try making an RNAF wing which will bring the weight down. RNAF means you have a 4 mil bottom and a 2 mil top OR you could just go to a full 2 mil wing instead of 4 mil and safe even more weight. The 2 mil wings are not as tough but if you're an accomplished pilot that doesn't need the extra durability they can bring the flying weight down. But some of the happiest memories I have were 30 seconds to combat, the engine screaming, streamer flapping behind me and that plane getting the old javelin style toss into the frey.
MrClean is offline Find More Posts by MrClean