HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:54 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
Hi there,

Not another FPV Newbie I hear you cry!

Anyway, seem to be running around in circles, or maybe over-complicating things, but putting together an EasyStar with a basic setup and fpv 5.8Ghz 200mW equipment bought from ebay. All seems to be working ok, but also bought an eagletree osd Pro, V4 datalogger and gps. Before I melt anything, just wanted to ask how people have connected the video through the OSD? My camera is connected by a single cable to the tx and seems to get it's power from the tx which has a separate battery connected to it, so I'm guessing I simply cut the wire currently connecting the Tx and camera and solder servo connectors on either of the cut ends to connect to the vid in/out on the osd? This way the power for the camera goes through the OSD? Is that about right? Apologies for the long winded txt...

(I think I've found the answer on p7 of the manual...but before I cut anything...)

Cheers

Manj

UK
manjx15 is offline Find More Posts by manjx15
Last edited by manjx15; Oct 02, 2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: think I've found the answer...
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:58 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manjx15 View Post
Hi there,

Not another FPV Newbie I hear you cry!

Anyway, seem to be running around in circles, or maybe over-complicating things, but putting together an EasyStar with a basic setup and fpv 5.8Ghz 200mW equipment bought from ebay. All seems to be working ok, but also bought an eagletree osd Pro, V4 datalogger and gps. Before I melt anything, just wanted to ask how people have connected the video through the OSD? My camera is connected by a single cable to the tx and seems to get it's power from the tx which has a separate battery connected to it, so I'm guessing I simply cut the wire currently connecting the Tx and camera and solder servo connectors on either of the cut ends to connect to the vid in/out on the osd? This way the power for the camera goes through the OSD? Is that about right? Apologies for the long winded txt...

(I think I've found the answer on p7 of the manual...but before I cut anything...)

Cheers

Manj

UK
Yup, sounds right.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:29 PM
Joined Apr 2011
134 Posts
hello.. im kinda noobie here for fpv.. i have my epp-fpv and plan to put co-pilot on it. Can anyone here confirms.the the co-pilot is still working on their new harware versions??? and they perform well also?? easy to use?? im using eloggerV,osd pro,gpsV4. will still the diagram how to connect the co pilot. using temp 2 & 3 will still work?and how about the settings configuring on pc?? any one advice?? many many thanks!!.. sorry for the many questions..and bad eng..hehe..thanks!
louiealadph is offline Find More Posts by louiealadph
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:41 PM
Joined Apr 2011
134 Posts
Still no update??here??
louiealadph is offline Find More Posts by louiealadph
Old Nov 22, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi, I would recommend the Guardian stabilization module, discussed here.
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 04, 2011, 03:04 AM
kalps
Joined Jan 2008
37 Posts
I am very new at FPV, i just bought Eagle Tree System Data Logger, came with a MicroPower V4 E-Logger rated to 70 volts and 150 amps, a GPS Expander V4, a Power Panel LCD Display, a Brushless Electric Motor RPM Sensor, and three Micro Temperature Sensors. Will i still require OSD PRO module??

Thanks
kalps is offline Find More Posts by kalps
Old Dec 07, 2011, 06:28 AM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Hi all!

I would really appreciate if one of you experienced persons out there could spend a little bit of time to have a look at my wiring diagram (attached).

I have not fired up the complete system yet, and according to the definition of ground loops that I read recently, there should be many there... Is that correct? Could that affect video signal quality, or (more importantly) melt the thin wires that connect the OSD to the e-logger? Any suggestions to improve the wiring?

Thank you in advance for your great help.

Regards.
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:13 PM
Washougal, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
My diagram

I drew this up so I could keep track of how the components are hooked together. Polarities are not shown. Everything works!
balsabuster2004 is offline Find More Posts by balsabuster2004
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:14 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsabuster2004 View Post
I drew this up so I could keep track of how the components are hooked together. Polarities are not shown. Everything works!
Hello!
Is the video switcher that you are using a ready made unit, or is it something that you built?
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
Hello!
Is the video switcher that you are using a ready made unit, or is it something that you built?
Got mine from DPCAV http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=103&page=1 ($7 shipping charge).
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Jul 2010
11 Posts
Could someone please post a simple diagram for hooking the OSD/logger up to a single battery with a transmitter? I've been running the OSD/Logger vTX with a separate battery for awhile and it has been working great. I've got a feeling that I'm going to fry something if I just take the power leads that go the vtx and hook it up to the main battery.

The current set up is vTX battery -> vTX -> 3 pin (vid/+/-) to OSD Vid out. Camera (vid/+/-) is hooked up to vid in on OSD.

Not sure what I need to do to run the video system off the main battery to avoid loops and so forth.

thanks for the help
srk.heli is offline Find More Posts by srk.heli
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:33 AM
This should fly, right?
des moines, ia
Joined Mar 2008
69 Posts
hi srk.heli!

you could run your vtx off the flight battery by connecting the vtx to the flight battery balance tap. don't think that would introduce any additional ground loop issues.

found this info on the 3s balance tap wiring in another post but the basic premise could be used for packs with any number of cells -

"...the black wire of the balance tap is neg. Simply count over (you could check it with a volt meter but there is really no need).

The first wire after the neg is 4.2v (charged), the 2nd wire will give you 8.4v and the third wire gives the full 12.6

hope this helps!

- will

Quote:
Originally Posted by srk.heli View Post
Could someone please post a simple diagram for hooking the OSD/logger up to a single battery with a transmitter? I've been running the OSD/Logger vTX with a separate battery for awhile and it has been working great. I've got a feeling that I'm going to fry something if I just take the power leads that go the vtx and hook it up to the main battery.

The current set up is vTX battery -> vTX -> 3 pin (vid/+/-) to OSD Vid out. Camera (vid/+/-) is hooked up to vid in on OSD.

Not sure what I need to do to run the video system off the main battery to avoid loops and so forth.

thanks for the help
wkindred is offline Find More Posts by wkindred
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Jan 2004
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkindred View Post
hi srk.heli!

you could run your vtx off the flight battery by connecting the vtx to the flight battery balance tap. don't think that would introduce any additional ground loop issues.

found this info on the 3s balance tap wiring in another post but the basic premise could be used for packs with any number of cells -

"...the black wire of the balance tap is neg. Simply count over (you could check it with a volt meter but there is really no need).

The first wire after the neg is 4.2v (charged), the 2nd wire will give you 8.4v and the third wire gives the full 12.6

hope this helps!

- will
This will also result in an unbalanced battery.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:09 PM
This should fly, right?
des moines, ia
Joined Mar 2008
69 Posts
Quote:
...and thus the modern age has produced the balance charger to bring the cosmos back into alignment.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:18 PM
This should fly, right?
des moines, ia
Joined Mar 2008
69 Posts
Quote:
in theory, tapping @ the 12v lead should draw from all 3 cells of the 3s battery. how would this result in an unbalanced battery?