SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:43 PM
Flick lives
BladeHead's Avatar
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
They are back in stock. I just ordered one. For those of you who own the Skybus, what do you think of it?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8931-skybus-rtf.html

Best,
Tony
Well, xplaneguy...Ur an EDF pilot so the Dynam DC-3 will probably seem tame to you, but it sure buzzes by at a nice clip on the full-bore low level fly bys. Cut power just before it touches down, because there's only about 1/2 inch prop clearance above the runway when you do a wheel landing. I'm thinking about trimming 1/2 inch from the prop tips to minimize the pavement strikes. My other mod, was to make a little pull tab out of white plastic tape at the front of the canopy because the magnets really hold it down. I don't like the trailing antenna, so I ran it forward, underneath the fuse, and just tucked in the end under the wing, near where it screws to the fuse...No radio issues at all.

I try to do a scale take-offs, but she's airborne and climbing fast, well before I have full-throttle on. I run it at about 1/2 throttle for gentle scale-looking flying, but power-up a little and she'll easily do loops and rolls. The decals are tacky, so consider the Eastern Air Lines decals out there, (for the same-scale Great Planes DC-3), or find some military decals and do it up as a C-47. Have fun and good flying!
BladeHead is online now Find More Posts by BladeHead
Last edited by BladeHead; Mar 04, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:42 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
xplaneguy's Avatar
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
Well, xplaneguy...Ur an EDF pilot so the Dynam DC-3 will probably seem tame to you, but it sure buzzes by at a nice clip on the full-bore low level fly bys. Cut power just before it touches down, because there's only about 1/2 inch prop clearance above the runway when you do a wheel landing. I'm thinking about trimming 1/2 inch from the prop tips to minimize the pavement strikes. My other mod, was to make a little pull tab out of white plastic tape at the front of the canopy because the magnets really hold it down. I don't like the trailing antenna, so I ran it back forward, underneath the fuse, and just tucked in the end under the wing, near where it screws to the fuse...No radio issues at all.

I try to do a scale take-offs, but she's airborne and climbing fast, well before I have full-throttle on. I run it at about 1/2 throttle for gentle scale-looking flying, but power-up a little and she'll easily do loops and rolls. The decals are tacky, so consider the Eastern Air Lines decals out there, (for the same-scale Great Planes DC-3), or find some military decals and do it up as a C-47. Have fun and good flying!
BladeHead-Thanks for the reply. I'll be converting mine to an AC-47 Spooky. This should be a fun project. I was wondering about the reliability of the Radio that comes with it. Glad to hear there's no issues. Any idea if there's a three blade prop available that would work on this aircraft? Thanks again for the feedback.

All the best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Mar 01, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:14 PM
Registered User
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
how are you planning on painting yours? what kind of paint? that's the one thing that is making me hold back from ordering this plane. i would like it to be olive drab all over. should be simple enough to spray this on but i have had mixed results in the past trying to paint foamies.

rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:26 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
xplaneguy's Avatar
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737 View Post
how are you planning on painting yours? what kind of paint? that's the one thing that is making me hold back from ordering this plane. i would like it to be olive drab all over. should be simple enough to spray this on but i have had mixed results in the past trying to paint foamies.

rob
rob - I airbrush and brush paint Testors Model Masters Enamels on all my EDF jets and have had fantastic results. Here's my A-10 which I completely repainted in a Gray Camo, it was originally silver.

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:06 AM
Registered User
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
tony, your a-10 looks beautiful! i wish i had your skills. i do have an airbrush but it has been many years since i have used it. i have used the small cans of testors model master (are those enamels like you use?) on many projects, and to touch up scrapes and scuffs on a few of my planes (their olive drab matches the eflite p47 and phase3 p38 stock paint very well). will this type of paint also adhere to the type of foam this dc3 is made of? thanks again for your help!

rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 01:37 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
xplaneguy's Avatar
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737 View Post
tony, your a-10 looks beautiful! i wish i had your skills. i do have an airbrush but it has been many years since i have used it. i have used the small cans of testors model master (are those enamels like you use?) on many projects, and to touch up scrapes and scuffs on a few of my planes (their olive drab matches the eflite p47 and phase3 p38 stock paint very well). will this type of paint also adhere to the type of foam this dc3 is made of? thanks again for your help!

rob
rob-I haven't used Testors spray paint on my foam models. I experimented one time with Krylon on foam and it ate the foam, so I stuck with airbrushing/brush painting enamel. Good luck!

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2010, 03:01 PM
Flick lives
BladeHead's Avatar
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
rob-I haven't used Testors spray paint on my foam models. I experimented one time with Krylon on foam and it ate the foam, so I stuck with airbrushing/brush painting enamel. Good luck!

Best,
Tony
Xplaneguy, that AC-47 scheme will be cool...Look fwd to seeing it on ur model. This plane is constructed of EPO foam, which is very durable and rather spongy. If you squeeze it a bit, it actually springs back. The foam has a surface that I'd describe as "soapy" to the touch. In my experience, paint doesn't adhere well to foam like EPO. Try first painting inside the canopy, (cockpit cover), to be sure ur paint is foam-friendly AND adheres to the foam.

I'm not a prop expert, so we'll have to ask around about 3-blade substitutes. I flew today, and after 2 smooth t/o & landings, I again found evidence of a prop strike. I brought it home and shaved another 1/16" off the tips, still trying to find the right length. I'll be interested in hearing how that issue works out for you. (Maybe it's just my flying).

As I become comfortable flying this plane, I'm pushing it more. I noticed it has quite a lively roll rate. The ailerons aren't huge, so I guess it's because they're out there on those long wings. It flies great--I love it.
BladeHead is online now Find More Posts by BladeHead
Last edited by BladeHead; Mar 04, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 06:02 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
xplaneguy's Avatar
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
Xplaneguy, that AC-47 scheme will be cool...Look fwd to seeing it on ur model. This plane is constructed of EPP foam, which is very durable and rather spongy. If you squeeze it a bit, it actually springs back. The foam has a surface that I'd describe as "soapy" to the touch. In my experience, paint doesn't adhere well to EPP. Try first painting inside the canopy, (cockpit cover), to be sure ur paint is foam-friendly AND adheres to the foam.

I'm not a prop expert, so we'll have to ask around about 3-blade substitutes. I flew today, and after 2 smooth t/o & landings, I again found evidence of a prop strike. I brought it home and shaved another 1/16" off the tips, still trying to find the right length. I'll be interested in hearing how that issue works out for you. (Maybe it's just my flying).

As I become comfortable flying this plane, I'm pushing it more. I noticed it has quite a lively roll rate. The ailerons aren't huge, so I guess it's because they're out there on those long wings. It flies great--I love it.
Thanks for the feedback. I have a few EPP planes with enamel applied and they seem to be ok. If the paint doesn't adhere, you can apply a light coat of Minwax Polycrylic which will strengthen the surface and give a base coat for paint. My biggest challenges will be scratch building the guns. I'll have the markings made by Callie Graphics. She does great work! Still debating if I want to cut out the cargo door and place a gun in that position or just simulate the open door by painting it black with the gun sticking out of the foam. I'll do that with the window guns.

I'm still not sure if I can trust the stock radio. I've had bad luck with glitching 72mHz stock radios. I may have to use my Futaba 7C.

Hey, I just received a UPS delivery notice, so it's sitting at my front door. I'll be home in 30 minutes. WooHoo!

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:41 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
xplaneguy's Avatar
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,509 Posts
Wow! What a great looking DC-3. I'm impressed so far.

What kind of flight times are you all getting on the stock battery?

Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:46 PM
Registered User
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,225 Posts
I just had to order one as well. It looks like the best flying foamie DC-3 I have ever seen. Looks like it can be flown slow and scale. The foam is actually EPO. (Straight from the nitro website). I am going to paint mine olive drab as well. Paint the gear silver, and get rid of those racing slicks and she should look pretty good for a foamie. Im going to try some gws 3 blades as well. Can't wait.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:09 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
xplaneguy's Avatar
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,509 Posts
If all goes well with my first one. I'd love to paint a few in these schemes.

Scott - Good call on the EPO foam & GWS 3 blade props. I went ahead an ordered a few myself. The 3mm center hole should work perfect on the motor shafts.

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Feb 25, 2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Corrected prop mount hole=3mm
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:13 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
xplaneguy's Avatar
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,509 Posts
"Island in the Sky"

My favorite John Wayne movie. Great flying footage! A must see for any DC-3/C-47 fan.

Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Feb 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 09:41 AM
Registered User
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
thanks for the information on the painting, fellows. i am getting close to ordering this one, for sure! i too had planned to use callie graphics. i ordered a set for my phase3 p38 and they worked out great. tony, i can't wait to see your work! i have always loved the spooky, and it's a great plane to model. there was a fellow here on the forum who also built one of those, and his gatling guns even rotated on command. are you planning to have this feature on your plane as well?

rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 10:54 AM
Clear Skies & Contrails
xplaneguy's Avatar
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737 View Post
thanks for the information on the painting, fellows. i am getting close to ordering this one, for sure! i too had planned to use callie graphics. i ordered a set for my phase3 p38 and they worked out great. tony, i can't wait to see your work! i have always loved the spooky, and it's a great plane to model. there was a fellow here on the forum who also built one of those, and his gatling guns even rotated on command. are you planning to have this feature on your plane as well?

rob
rob-As you may know, Nitroplanes sold out quick on the first batch, so get it soon! No plans to do the rotating gatlin guns. I currently have 5 EDF jets and the AC-47 to build. I need to take some leave to catch up.

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:21 PM
Flick lives
BladeHead's Avatar
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
My favorite John Wayne movie. Great flying footage! A must see for any DC-3/C-47 fan.

Tony
Ya, a great movie... and "The High and the Mighty," if ur a fan The Duke and the DC-4!
BladeHead is online now Find More Posts by BladeHead
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DC-3 Plans blackwidow18 Australia 2 Jan 17, 2010 08:27 PM
Sold Celectra 4-Port 1S 3.7V 0.3A DC Li-Po Charger by E-flite dizzane Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Jan 15, 2010 09:02 AM
For Sale Great Planes DC-3 project sunderll Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Jan 12, 2010 07:34 PM
Sold Celectra 4-Port, 1-Cell, 3.7, 0.3A DC Li-Po Charger, Plus 3 240MAH Single Cell Packs. jafo216 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 9 Jan 01, 2010 11:55 AM
Sold Dynam 5-Channel Receiver/Dynam 3 in 1 Gyro CGReload Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 3 Aug 18, 2008 04:40 PM