New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2014, 05:00 AM
Find More Posts by Brner
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
945 Posts
Branden,

Nice work on that model...Sure is fun when a project comes together that well....

I'm sure you don't need it but good luck on the maiden anyway....have fun....

Don
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2014, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,339 Posts
If the motor is the one specified then it will fly fine. Dare had their own way of numbering motors and gearboxes so don't know what it is you have.

To find the right prop you need to know the max current of the motor and an ammeter ($5 from Harbor Freight). Pick out a couple of props and try them until you are near max.

Keep in mind that these planes should be flown at Free Flight like speeds, ie, slow, with not a lot of abrupt maneuvers.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Dec 21, 2014, 08:29 PM
Find More Posts by bshultz327
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
329 Posts
Thanks Sean and Don
Thanks Charlie. I had called Dare and they had sold out to Brodak. Then I called them and they didn't know at the time because the Dare items were still new to them. Then I emailed Mike Midkiff over at Ozarkmodelaviation.com and he mentioned that he would use the 8 in. prop with the motor I had, but the place I bought it from sent me a 9x4.7 prop with the motor. So, I think I am going to just go with the 8x6 and see what happens. I just thought I'd throw the question out there to see if anyone had any other thoughts on the matter. Thanks again!
Branden
bshultz327 is offline Find More Posts by bshultz327
Old Dec 21, 2014, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by SteveSw
United States, NY, Bethpage
Joined Nov 2011
100 Posts
That's one sharp looking Tripehound you got there Branden. Looking forward to the flight reports of your first Dawn Patrol.
SteveSw is offline Find More Posts by SteveSw
Old Dec 21, 2014, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by WWI_Flying_Ace
Round engines & two wings...
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Mar 2013
269 Posts
Looks great! Well done. Enjoy
WWI_Flying_Ace is offline Find More Posts by WWI_Flying_Ace
Old Dec 21, 2014, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by RocketRobin
Fox 1
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2013
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshultz327 View Post
Well Boys, I'm done with it. I'm happy with the way it turned out and I'm ready to fly it when I get a chance. This is my first RC build, scale or otherwise and I guess I'm preparing for the worst. Wish me luck that I don't completely destroy it within the first 60 seconds of flight or something Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help. I will try and post a video of the maiden when I make it out. It came to 7.4 oz. AUW with a tolerance of 8 oz. so I am glad about that!
Branden

BTW, I have an 8x6 electric prop on it right now but I have several to choose from. I just wondered what your opinion might be for the prop size. It is an EPU-4 with a 2cell 500 mAh battery. Thanks
Your plane looks awesome.
If I was you, I wouldn't be focused on max speed for the maiden voyage, so definitely change your prop to the recommended 9 x 4.7. Or 9 x 4 even.
And don't forget to push right rudder on take-off as you power-up.

Cheers!
Rocket
RocketRobin is offline Find More Posts by RocketRobin
Last edited by RocketRobin; Dec 22, 2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:18 PM
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
329 Posts
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
Ok, rocket, if you say so I will put the bigger prop on because you're right. I had it backwards. I was thinking smaller prop, slower speeds, not the other way around. Anyway, I will fit one on there then. I was just going also buy 1/3 of the wingspan which is 24" and an 8" prop.
Branden
Old Dec 22, 2014, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by moscow580
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,539 Posts
Hi Branden

I agree with Rocket. The extra prop can pull you out of those tricky moments with a little burst of power.

Sean
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Dec 22, 2014, 02:27 PM
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
329 Posts
Cool, thats good to hear. I'm glad you guys mentioned that. I have limited flying experience as well. But enough that I am confident in flying this pig.. Thanks man
Branden
Old Mar 30, 2015, 09:25 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,539 Posts
Hi Branden

Were you ever able to maiden the Tri-Plane?

Sean
Old Apr 05, 2015, 06:20 AM
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
329 Posts
Hey Sean,

Thanks for asking because I have been itching to post a reply on the maiden but I have not flown it yet. Partially because I'm chicken but mostly because we've had some crappy weather here up until recently so I was content with waiting for that perfect day. Soon I will muster up the courage and take it out as the weather is starting to get pretty nice
Branden
Old Apr 05, 2015, 11:20 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,539 Posts
Hi Branden

No rush....AT ALL....take your time, wait for that "perfect" day.

Sean
Old Apr 06, 2015, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,339 Posts
Agree. These little ones need a near perfect day for a maiden. Or a very large indoor arena.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 06, 2015, 03:20 PM
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
329 Posts
Yeah, I wish I had an indoor place to fly around here. No clue where though. I'm an hour south of Indianapolis, IN if anyone may know of something reasonably close.
So anyway, I've been horsin around on an AerodromeRC D7 36" and I need to get the show on the road. It's framed just needs finished. Although in my defense I took a while gathering all the guts for it, but would like to have it in the air with plenty of nice weather left i.e. soon!
Branden
Old Apr 06, 2015, 03:30 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,539 Posts
Hi Branden

Why dont you visit AMA and see what clubs are in your area. I am sure there is someone at the club who knows of someone doing indoor flying.

The AerodromeRc Dvii is a great plane. One the first I built when I got back into the hobby. Great flyer. Good luck and looking forward to the build thread.

Sean