Old May 18, 2016, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by Brabflyer
Joined Mar 2014
25 Posts
Discussion
Locked acount ( gvrnmnt issued ID required) - RESOLVED

So I have entered my password 5 times wrong on the hobbyking website and my account got locked, After contacting costumer support they demanded a government issued ID. This is illegal in The Netherlands and therefore i cannot unlock my account.

I have masked my own private information with ***** from the chat transcript for the well know issues of the internets

[19:44:59] Jet: Welcome to HobbyKing. This is Jet assisting you. How may I help you?

[19:45:53] ** My name**: Hello it apears that my account have been disabled. what is the reason behind this? My email adress is ** My Email** and is linked to my account.

[19:46:32] Jet: ** My name**.

[19:48:02] Jet: The account was disabled due to may attempt to log-in your account. But don't you worry since I can activate your account. Just provide us the information below in order for us to check your account and change your password. Full Name: Email Address: Address: Contact Number: And you need to provide us atleast 1 valid id before we activate the account.

[19:50:12] ** My name**: ** My name**,** My Email**, ** My address*,** My contact number**

[19:52:06] Jet: Can I have the valid id please?

[19:52:58] ** My name**: i do not understand that can you explain what you mean with a valid id?

[19:54:43] Jet: Valid ID like drivers license, passport or any government ID. This is for security reasons that is why we need to have this.

[19:59:07] ** My name**: The last time i had problems with my password i did not have to include a copy of any government issued ID. By law in The Netherlands it is even illegal to copy/distribute for this particular purpose. Therefore i am afraid that we need to do something else to recover my acount.

[19:59:30] Jet: We do apologize for the inconvenience, ** My name**. We are just doing this for the security of your account. All account of hobbyKing is Confidential and we cannot activate and give you the new password if you wont provide the document needed. I hope that you understand.

[20:02:30] ** My name**: Well it is absolute nonsense that i need to provide a government issued ID when i entered my password wrong for 5 times. There are many alternatives to this problem, like making a €0.01 transaction with the paypal account i always use for my hobbyking acount.

[20:07:28] Jet: I am sorry ** My name** But our management will just process to activate the account unless you provided us atleast 1 valid ID and we are just doing this for security reasons. We are just doing this to avoid you account to be hacked.

[20:10:47] Jet: You can only provide us atleast the front of the ID so we can determine that you are the owner of the account. You can use any object to cover the other details.

[20:13:49] ** My name**: I am not going to provide my government issued ID for privacy concerns because this reveals information such as a social security number that can be abused. Therefore i will absolutely NOT provide you with my ID. I understand that you need a way to confirm all of this information. Therefore i am sure confirming with a Paypal transaction is a way better and safer solution

[20:14:54] Jet: I am sorry but our management will just process to activate the account unless you provided us atleast 1 valid ID and we are just doing this for security reasons.

[20:15:24] ** My name**: then you better pass this issue on to your management team since it is illegal to even ask for this

[20:19:39] Jet: We will forward your concern to the management for further review.

[20:21:04] ** My name**: For the record i will make this conversation publicly available on RC groups ( http://www.rcgroups.com/hobbyking-441/) in this sub forum about hobbyking

[20:21:22] ** My name**: i will blur out out names if you want that

[20:21:27] ** My name**: our*

[20:23:24] Jet: I will respect your decision for that. But please be remind that we are just doing this for security of your account.

[20:25:00] ** My name**: I understand that it might be a mistake from the management team to follow this route of identifying. Therefore i will give them an opportunity to set this right.

[20:26:45]** My name**: do you have any issues with your on screen name: Jet being displayed on the subforums where i am going to post this?

[20:27:11] Jet: I am sorry but as of now, we cannot activate your account unless you provided us document needed. There is no issues on my name. That is my real name.

[20:27:51] ** My name**: so you do not mind your name becoming public on the forum?

[20:28:42] Jet: I don't mind. We are just following some process before we activate the account.

[20:29:09]** My name**: Alright, Thanks for your time and till next time

[20:29:21] Jet: You are very much welcome. Have a good day! By the way, for self help on your HobbyKing inquiries, you may also check our Help Center by clicking "24 hour Support Centre" on the upper right part of our website. Good bye!

The transcript will be sent to "** My Email**".
The visitor has left the chat.
The chat is ended.
Brabflyer is offline Find More Posts by Brabflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2016, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by HobbyKingCSNYC
United States, NY, Brentwood
Joined Dec 2013
899 Posts
PM me about this and I'll make it right.

Rob
HK PS NY
HobbyKingCSNYC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyKingCSNYC
Site Sponsor
Old May 18, 2016, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by HobbyKingCSNYC
United States, NY, Brentwood
Joined Dec 2013
899 Posts
Just to set the record straight, this is not an attempt to mess with people and/or violate anyone's rights to privacy. As I'm sure you all know we need to make sure the person making the request is legitimate so we ask for a form of ID. Again this is for your protection. Most of the info can be blocked out. I have folks send me a scan or photo of their driver's license showing the name and address with the ID number blocked out and that works fine.

Are folks out there resistant to that as well?

Rob
HK PS NY
HobbyKingCSNYC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyKingCSNYC
Site Sponsor
Old May 18, 2016, 10:16 AM
Joined Mar 2014
25 Posts
you have a pm from me
Old May 20, 2016, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by flatus antiquus
Yep - that's what it means.
United States, WA, Parkland
Joined Feb 2015
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyKingCSNYC View Post
Just to set the record straight, this is not an attempt to mess with people and/or violate anyone's rights to privacy. As I'm sure you all know we need to make sure the person making the request is legitimate so we ask for a form of ID. Again this is for your protection. Most of the info can be blocked out. I have folks send me a scan or photo of their driver's license showing the name and address with the ID number blocked out and that works fine.

Are folks out there resistant to that as well?

Rob
HK PS NY
Personally, I keep reading (not only here but other forums as well) about accounts getting hacked. People who live in and have a long history of always having orders shipped to the US, or Great Britain, etc, and suddenly orders are redirected to russia. Why aren't you asking the hackers in russia for govt issued ID?
flatus antiquus is offline Find More Posts by flatus antiquus
Old May 21, 2016, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by Craig Does RC
Peterson Butte Slope Junkie
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2016
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatus antiquus View Post
Personally, I keep reading (not only here but other forums as well) about accounts getting hacked. People who live in and have a long history of always having orders shipped to the US, or Great Britain, etc, and suddenly orders are redirected to russia. Why aren't you asking the hackers in russia for govt issued ID?
Good question.
Craig Does RC is offline Find More Posts by Craig Does RC
Old May 23, 2016, 03:09 AM
Find More Posts by northernmonkey
Fleetwood, Northern England
Joined Jun 2006
307 Posts
If the account is successfully hacked then they would not be asking anyone for anything. They are asking for the ID after failed attempts to access the account have resulted in it being locked.
northernmonkey is online now Find More Posts by northernmonkey
Old May 24, 2016, 07:36 AM
Joined Mar 2014
25 Posts
Here is an update, my account is restored i can now acces it. When i checked the order history it all is as it was. No strange orders or anything.

Rob helped me solve this issue