Old Feb 18, 2016, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by pappy35
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Apr 2007
212 Posts
Discussion
Power Unlimited LiPo Reviews?

I like these packs for the price and low weight and am thinking about getting a set of the 5400mAh 5S packs. What's the general consensus on this brand? Care to recommend any others that are, ehem, more economical than <insert major brand name here>

Also, I new to pattern in the 21st century (use to fly it for a few seasons in the mid-90's). I have been focusing on 10S packs but looking through the Vanquish 2M build thread here, and a few others, I noted that some of you are using 5/6/8 cell packs combos as well. Doing the math, while doable, I figured this would drive current way up and hence reduce duration. Anyone care to help me understand this?

PS - I am prepping a 2M Vanquish I bought (really stole for $200) from a fellow club member.
pappy35 is offline Find More Posts by pappy35
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2016, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by kc8qpu
United States, SC, Moore
Joined May 2007
96 Posts
Guy I fly with has some of those packs. He just got them in November and I believe two of the three sets were used. Seems to be holding up so far. But honestly I have seen a huge presence of Zippy batteries. In fact the contest we went to in Jacksonville last November I would say 75 percent of the guys were using zippy packs.
kc8qpu is offline Find More Posts by kc8qpu
Old Feb 18, 2016, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by pappy35
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Apr 2007
212 Posts
Cool. I checked HK and the PU packs were a bit lighter and, I presume, that F3aUnlimited is a US company (I buy from HK all the time so it's not that 'buy 'merican' thing but, given the choice, I'd rather buy from someplace in the US).
pappy35 is offline Find More Posts by pappy35
Old Feb 19, 2016, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
United States, NJ, Nutley
Joined Mar 2015
764 Posts
I am buying pair myself. The claimed weight is the best I could find. For example I use 6s 4500 in another model and I know they are 690G whereas the F3AU packs are listed at 590. 100G isn't too significant on a 2700G model but 100G is still 100G.
Bmwjoon is offline Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:12 PM
Find More Posts by Anthonyr
United States, NY, Ossining
Joined Aug 2003
152 Posts
100 g is huge. Always look at weight as a percentage of the component in question. 100 grams is 3.7% of the total aircraft but the batteries are almost 17% heavier. Normally, you would have to pull 2 grams out in 50 places for that kind of reduction.

Have two sets of Power Unlimited 5100 10s that have a documented 150+ flights.
I have also had good luck with the Hobby People batteries.
Anthonyr is offline Find More Posts by Anthonyr
Old Feb 26, 2016, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by Vertigo II
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
1,536 Posts
I am on my second set of F3A batteries. I got an average of 110 cycles out of them before they were done. This represents a lot of hard use. I fly in the Mojave Desert in the summer, so these pack are hot at ambient temperature, get hotter during flight, and are frequently charged at a higher than ideal temperature. These were 5S 5100 packs.
I still have one pack that I fly in a 5S airplane that does not pull as much current as in my 2 meter. Sort of a "retirement plan" for a battery if you will.

I am now using the 5S 5400 pack that they are offering. So far, so good. They are lighter that the 5100 packs. I have also used the Hobby People packs with mostly good success. Recently, they seem to have changed vendors or something, as they do not seem to be holding up as well as they used to.

As always, your mileage may vary, but I do not hesitate to recommend the F3A batteries based upon my good experience with them.

Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:06 AM
Find More Posts by TN Walker
Joined Dec 2012
157 Posts
Hi Robert , I agree with you comments about Hobby People and their 4500 man 5S packs. They did change vendors and as a result the current batteries including the balancing taps are second rate. To make things even worse, they had the audacity to increase the price! What a joke.........I will be very surprised if I get 50-75 flights out of each of my 3 sets of packs. Some of these retailers let their corporate greed get in the way of common sense!
TN Walker is offline Find More Posts by TN Walker
Old Mar 26, 2016, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by MarkF
Battery Puffer
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2001
1,341 Posts
The Dinogy F3A packs are on sale for 30% off the regular price.
http://dinogylipos.com/18-5-cell-lipos

Mark
MarkF is online now Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Mar 29, 2016, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by Dansy
In search of speed......
Canada, ON, Prescott
Joined Apr 2013
672 Posts
I have some Zippy pack and after one season...they wouldn't charge more then 96 % and declining rapidly.....on their second season I started getting away from them, I charge slowly at the field and always do storage charge.

I got a few F3A unlimited pack 5100 and they weight the same or lighter (my zippy 1170 avg, unlimited 1150 avg) they are holding nicely in their second season, did a charge check a little while ago and they are still at 99%.

Got one set of Pulse and they are way too heavy compare to what they are suppose to be from the web site....1370 avg.....so I'm ordering a couple more unlimited....and dumping the rest of the zippy.
Dansy is offline Find More Posts by Dansy