New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2014, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by ACESand8s
United States, CT, Manchester
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
Mini-Review
LX F-22 Twin 70mm

I have the LX Raptor twin. Flown several times. (half a dozen). Here are the known issues. Wheels are small, too small for grass landing, imo, they'll break off, so I use pavement. I've broken the retracts twice on potholes...(lol) Since I have parts I rebuilt the original retract units and still have them on and operational. Issue number two, and this may or may not be my fault, to be determined...the leading edge slats, that are coupled with the flap, have lifted up, in normal flight. They MAY have been adjusted a bit too high angle of attack, but the fix was easy, reinstalled the horns with CA. I have issue with ALL the stock links. Thin wire links, and flexible, a bit too flexible.

So build it...but change to CF tube or rod linkages. CA all the control horns to the control surfaces.

Glue in the Retract units with Mucelage...the sticky glue they provide. It makes for removal, upon the need.

An alternative is more work...plywood plates and screws.

The duct does have a cheater slot.

I used two metal shroud 7 stator 10 blade rotor, 1800 watt units with Dr. Mad Thrust 2200kv 29mm x 60mm inrunners on 6 cells each.
2 Lipo 6s 2700mah 65-135c Turnigy Nanotech

With this setup..plane weighs in at 7 pounds 4 ounces and is still manageable to land. I land with flaps/slats and plenty of flair, slows down nicely and is controllable at low speed/high angle of attack.
ACESand8s is offline Find More Posts by ACESand8s
Last edited by ACESand8s; Apr 09, 2014 at 02:14 AM. Reason: incorrect information
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2014, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by capt soap
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
3,202 Posts
nice jet.....
capt soap is online now Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Apr 09, 2014, 01:04 AM
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
thnx...posting more about it soon. Tonight I did some patching, filling, I'll be painting the patches. I relocated the 720p camera to inside the cockpit. Pushrods still an issue. I have not yet pushed the speed limit of this plane, because of the weak pushrods. I'll be adding video of the fans and specs on the watts, voltage of the batteries etc. Can be flown lighter for 3D but I like to go fast! the minimum battery for these fans is 2700mah 65c 6 cell. Current draw is over 80 amps, voltage sags to about 22. I used 2 Turnigy dLux 100 amp esc's. 1 esc bec goes to the rx and servos, the other bec is routed to the plus on the retract controller.

1800 watt or so on each fan, 3.6 kilowatt total, on 7.25 pounds. Thrust is in the 9 pound neighborhood.
Old Apr 09, 2014, 02:00 AM
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
On the Toysonics site, the AUW is listed as 2.1 kilo, with my heavy EDF's and batteries, it's 3.3 kilos. Still flies light, not 3D light, but light touch down. I used Turnigy xgd-11hmb 11 gram, ball bearing metal gear (last two gears) 3kgm/cm servos, 8 of them. 2 rudder, 2 taileron, 2 flap, 2 vectoring. Nosegear steering servo comes with the retract unit. The receiver is a 9 channel Orange RX Spektrum compatible, with satellite, and TX is a DX8. On DSM2 22ms.
I opted out on the canopy eject. The cockpit now holds a 720p 30fps minicam. CG is on the 155mm back from the joint on the fuselage of the wing LE. Setup is zero-zero, controls all even with the wingtips, and the stabilators/tailerons are even with the end of the fuselage.
Last edited by ACESand8s; Apr 11, 2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: more information to include, error on servo part number
Old Apr 09, 2014, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
A few views, with the photo of the tiny red CG mark on the top of the fuselage
Old Apr 09, 2014, 11:05 PM
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
LX Raptor onboard camera (7 min 10 sec)
Old Apr 11, 2014, 08:25 PM
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
more photos...

I've patched and painted and re-mounted the 720p camera. I'll be adding a video of the throws and retracts, and further videos of the EDF unit specs and a test run. As of this writing waiting for new Polymax 4 mm connectors to re-connector the batteries...( for better conductivity )
Old Apr 11, 2014, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
I've got servo jitter, and on the servos controlling the ailerons and stabilators, the jitter is magnified by the unbalance of the stabilators, and even though I put screws into the front of them they are still very aft heavy. The surfaces bounce on the jitter, very disconcerting. I applied Crisco grease to the stabilator pivot rod and sockets, to slow them down, and tightened the stop screw into contact to try and use friction to damp the bounce.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 08:35 PM
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
The CG is 155mm from the wing joint leading edge. The throws and setups are as follows. Slats droop 18mm with the flaps drooping at 28mm. The tailerons are 32mm plus and minus. the ailerons are 28mm plus and minus. The rudders are 18mm plus and minus. I use 60% exponential rate on all three control axis. The nose steering is stock with the radio at 100% plus and minus...
Old Apr 12, 2014, 09:40 PM
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
video of throws and retracts

Retracts and Throws (1 min 19 sec)
Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:09 PM
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
specs on the wattage for the motors will have to wait...I ruined a wattmeter on another test setup...100 amp meter, and the setup was for 120 amps...I've run them up to 1800 watts all day long though, just don't have video until I replace my wattmeter.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 02:32 PM
Find More Posts by 10inja
Joined Mar 2009
183 Posts
beautiful jet. where can you buy this jet? looks like toysonics and bananhobbies are out of stock
10inja is offline Find More Posts by 10inja
Old Apr 19, 2014, 05:28 PM
Joined Apr 2014
106 Posts
I'm not sure. I had to wait until new stock came in at Toysonics. I put my email in and was notified when it came in. It's probably somewhere....but I've noticed that a lot of good foamies are disappearing, like the LX F-16.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by tdford
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
3,797 Posts
F-hobby has them.
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
Old Apr 19, 2014, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Joined Dec 2013
6,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACESand8s View Post
I'm not sure. I had to wait until new stock came in at Toysonics. I put my email in and was notified when it came in. It's probably somewhere....but I've noticed that a lot of good foamies are disappearing, like the LX F-16.
It's not a matter of good jets disappearing...it's called CULLING...I think people are getting sick of paying good money for CRAP ( having to spend money & time fixing things that should have been done at factory..also factory doesn't listen to customer input ). Paying good money for Taft Viper or Freewing jets you are getting some value for money...plug & play somewhat....my 2c worth.
HellHathNoFury is online now Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury