HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2014, 08:43 AM
Joined Jun 2007
190 Posts
New Product
Brotronics UberDistro -- PDB with Current/Voltage Monitoring

Hello everyone,

Just making a thread for something new, I have not seen this done in the past.

Basically what we have here is a high current distribution board with integrated current and voltage monitoring. This allows you to keep the wiring clean but also provides useful data and metrics that can be helpful when trying different prop and motor combinations, as well as valuable information for FPV flying.

The problem with traditional monitoring of just voltage alone is that it is very un-linear in terms of discharge rate, its hard to tell how much juice you have sucked out of a pack just by going on voltage alone. Being able to see how many mAh are consumed gives you a much better picture of remaining flight time on your OSD.

Here are some of the features:
1) 4oz copper board, traditional distribution boards are made of 2oz copper (speaking of the the other 36x36mm form factor board), in high current applications this is not ideal to move power around. Using thicker 4oz plating lets the electrons flow better and keeps the temperature down.
2) Integrated voltage divider which is designed around the common 3.3V ADC, some boards have the divider integrated on the board already so this may not be necessary depending on what you use, but still handy.
3) Integrated current sensing with high precision opamp. It has been found that the impedance of most ADCs is higher than ideal for measuring the low current output provided by the INA169, TI themselves actually recommend this but I have yet to see it used in the market yet.
4) 90A and 180A Attopilot compatible output, this is considered the 'industry standard' and has been adopted by several major OSDs and flight controllers, APM being the biggest. There should be no configuration necessary other than selecting the existing profile, the output is identical. Please note, the 180A version wont actually handle more power, it just lowers the output of the current pin to a range that is acceptable by the 3.3V ADC. When selecting between the 2 versions, if you are using a lower current setup it would actually be better to go with the 90A since you will have more resolution when reading the output (0-90A in voltages between 0-3.3V vs. 0-180A in voltages of 0-3.3A).
5) Plans for a compatible dual output switching powersupply with integrated power filtering. The proposed setup is a 5V and 12V output, this is the most commonly used voltages and should work well for most people. I have been somewhat limited on time finishing this portion of the project but the 2 holes in the middle will feed power to this daughter board that attaches to the bottom, this keeps plenty of copper in place to move power and the profile of both remains low.

Phew, enough typing. Here are some pictures, let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks.
readerror67 is offline Find More Posts by readerror67
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2014, 10:25 AM
Joined Jul 2008
615 Posts
Very nice - like the size and features. I could replace my current distro board with this and not have to worry about wiring in one of those RCtimer style current sensors.

How well does the current sensor integrate with the Naze32? Or would the best way of using it to be to wire it directly into something like a minimOSD (with relevent current sensing mods / pins).

And where can i buy one?
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Jun 08, 2014, 10:27 AM
Joined Jun 2007
190 Posts
Hello Teslahed,

Luggi/Lux recently made some changes to the Baseflight code, you can use one of the pins on the RC inputs (assuming you are using PPM) or you can use the ADC on the bottom of the board, this way baseflight will keep track of the current and send the data via MSP to the OSD.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 10:35 AM
Joined Jul 2008
615 Posts
I hadn't spotted those changes - sounds great though. I've just finished wiring up a mini quad as well - could have stuck the RCTimer current sensor in if i'd known

I'll wait for the BroTronics distro board to become available and then try to get one of those instead i think. Less extra stuff, less size and weight, got to be better.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Jun 08, 2014, 05:25 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Feb 2014
218 Posts
RE:

How can I get one? I need a 32 mm sandwich. (I've got the Brotronics rx and backup battery beacon, and a naze32 fun fly in my build)
sonic_boom is offline Find More Posts by sonic_boom
Old Jul 02, 2014, 12:07 AM
BUILD.FLY.CRASH.REPEAT.
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
hopin' to get some of these for MRSS
p0st4L is offline Find More Posts by p0st4L
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2014, 10:42 AM
Dirty Side Down.......o~^o
United States, MD, Sharpsburg
Joined Mar 2014
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0st4L View Post
hopin' to get some of these for MRSS
...and you can put me down for 2 or 5 if you do.

I don't see the dimensions... 46x46?

I have been looking for a PDB with 12v and 5v outputs... filtered would be nice, but something that can take some volts is hard to find out here.
Hiway is online now Find More Posts by Hiway
Old Jul 02, 2014, 11:43 AM
Joined Jun 2007
190 Posts
Hey Hiway,

The board is 36x36mm since that is the dimension of all the flight controllers I use, not very many boards come in the 45x45 anymore.

I do plan to add the filtering/regulator attachment here soon and it will be a drop in mod, I have just been quiet busy with school and work but it is on the top of my to-do list!
Old Jul 02, 2014, 04:33 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2013
79 Posts
Yeah this is nice. When are they available or where do you order it from?
Fbrand619 is offline Find More Posts by Fbrand619
Old Jul 03, 2014, 04:12 PM
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Jun 2013
81 Posts
yep, send some to MRSS along with some more powertower Rxes, I usually get my openlrs stuff there.

p.s. how is brOsd doing any chance of availability?
artemen is offline Find More Posts by artemen
Old Aug 02, 2014, 03:46 AM
Quietly Scheming!!!
Australia, WA, Port Hedland
Joined Jan 2013
406 Posts
yesssssss.
This PDB + BROSD + NAZE32 = WINNING!!

Bring on BROSD. any chance of putting the PDB on oshpark?
geekness is offline Find More Posts by geekness
Old Aug 02, 2014, 12:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
94 Posts
I`m interested in buying the PDB + BROSD if possible?
mundsen is offline Find More Posts by mundsen
Old Aug 02, 2014, 08:40 PM
Joined Oct 2013
25 Posts
i have same question , where i can buy directly uberdistro and brosd ... ?
bastar92 is offline Find More Posts by bastar92
Old Aug 02, 2014, 10:59 PM
BUILD.FLY.CRASH.REPEAT.
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
http://www.multirotorsuperstore.com/...berdistro.html
p0st4L is offline Find More Posts by p0st4L
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2014, 03:30 AM
Joined Feb 2012
94 Posts