SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2014, 06:44 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,724 Posts
Well Ian got his Ka8 on Friday and could not wait till Christmas. The Force was too strong. Sunday he maidened it at Torrey in maybe 5 mph winds.

But the wind slowly strengthened and with in a few minutes there was a Ka8 (Ian), EZ Styler (Me), Kato (Phil and George) nascar race full on in the office. Lots of paint scraping and few good impacts.

But as always when kids get giddy, someone gets hurt and I ran into Ian's brand new Ka8. We both had to get our planes. I'm glad Ian didn't push me off the cliff.

Today nada wind. Good surf tho.

Tailsld - I cant imagine 80 inches of snow. We had a couple two-three days of rain and I'm already tired of winter.

But typically around here, when someone get a new sloper the wind shuts down.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2014, 07:11 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,414 Posts
Torrey, sweet.
Been years since I flew scale ships there.
Always challenges, yet never a bad trip,.....so to speak.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2014, 07:36 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,480 Posts
Ray, I wish I was there to join in the fun today. Sounds like you guys had a blast. It's good to be home, though!

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:39 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,724 Posts
Good to hear you made it back to your family Andy. I'm gonna have to try the Bison Burger on Mission before the years end. My son is back from school and he's hungry for non -dorm food.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 04:26 AM
Clueless but learning
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Jul 2007
129 Posts
I am a relative flying novice (probably five hours in on simple planes, and no flying at all in two or so years) and a total soaring newb, but that didn't stop me from picking up one of the clearance priced Ka-8s yesterday. Is mastering this sailplane within the capabilities of the typical new flyer, or should I shelve it for a bit and learn on a different one?

I've always been fascinated by scale sailplanes and want to make this work.
HeavyDuty is online now Find More Posts by HeavyDuty
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,924 Posts
I've got a bit more stick time than you, but I was also out of the game for several years. Picked this back up, pulled my hi-start out of storage, and went and put two flights on it without issue.

You should be fine. Just make sure it balances out correctly and pick a calmer day.

She is a sweat heart.
sneasle is online now Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
Clueless but learning
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Jul 2007
129 Posts
Great - thanks! I was really hoping this one would work for me, I'll give it a try. From reading this thread it sounds like I'll do well to move the CG to around 55mm, if I'm comprehending things this will make it more docile.
HeavyDuty is online now Find More Posts by HeavyDuty
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Stepper View Post
Hi to all,

since yesterday mine is also ready to maiden.
Beside the re-paint work (I fear I cannot do without on foamies anymore ) I did the following amendments:
- Adding 6 x 1000 mm carbon tubes into the wings
- Epoxying the 10 mm carbon tube into the wings, using a 8 mm carbon tube as joiner now
- Installing a MPX tow release where it belongs to (servo driven)
- Replacing wheel and pilot with more scale sized versions and adding an aluminium skid as well as some other small scale details

With a 2S 1800 mAh lipo and the CG on 60 mm the AUW is 990 g. A lot of colour behind the CG to even up, unfortunately...

Looking forward to have her airborne soon!

Thanks
Ralph

I like the looks of this upgrade. Mine is fresh out of the box and will fly when the weather improves.

Ray
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
Great - thanks! I was really hoping this one would work for me, I'll give it a try. From reading this thread it sounds like I'll do well to move the CG to around 55mm, if I'm comprehending things this will make it more docile.
I've flown Andy's Ka8 and I recall the CG was moved forward by adding lead in the nose, as with another Ka8 flown by Ian. I dont know the exact number but both RC pilots told me the factory recommended CG was way too far back. TE Swept forward wings with straight LE usually has a forward CG.

If you search this thread many people are using CGs between 50 and 55 mm.

I have not flown my Ka8 yet but will be setting it up at 50 mm for the maiden.

WRT Stability I know Andys plane would fly 2-3 seconds or more as he passed the sticks around. Very stable once trimmed out.

Good luck
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
I am a relative flying novice (probably five hours in on simple planes, and no flying at all in two or so years) and a total soaring newb, but that didn't stop me from picking up one of the clearance priced Ka-8s yesterday. Is mastering this sailplane within the capabilities of the typical new flyer, or should I shelve it for a bit and learn on a different one?

I've always been fascinated by scale sailplanes and want to make this work.
The Ka-8 is a pretty honest and stable airplane. However, it is still a scale glider. Remember to keep the speed up. Lead the turn with the rudder. If you are a former power guy the rudder is the thing on the left stick.
rcsoar4fun is offline Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Today, 05:44 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,724 Posts
OK visitors are gone, had some time after lunch to get this Ka-8 flying and its ready to go. Going out in a few to look for wind.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 06:00 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus View Post
OK visitors are gone, had some time after lunch to get this Ka-8 flying and its ready to go. Going out in a few to look for wind.
Gonna fly it stock first? Post up whatever mods you do to the wings.

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member