HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2014, 01:22 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
740 Posts
Yeah, it was a lot of work, and I kinda enjoyed it, but some of the fun was taken out of it by sheer virtue of the plane not being sold 'as advertised'. I bought it on the basis that it was designed for a DLE 30cc, and nothing could be further from the truth when you look at the mods I had to make to get an RCG (as close to a DLE 30 as you can get) to fit in it. You don't have a choice but to 'crack on' and MAKE it work. It all flew very nicely when it was working properly, but I think I got 10 good flights out of it, and at least another 8 that were not nice.
I am disappointed it ended like it did though....I haven't 'lost' a plane in quite a while, and I have to be honest and say that I WISH I could have saved it, and I will miss it's silhouette!

Anyway, on with the Blackhorse!
Cathurga is offline Find More Posts by Cathurga
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2014, 02:19 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,318 Posts
That's as honest an obituary to a model plane as I have ever read. I lost 2 this summer. I think that if you want to fly warbirds attrition is part of the game.

Sorry, but your Tiffy was shot down over the desert. There were no survivors.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Oct 12, 2014, 02:08 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
1,066 Posts
Can't you just make a slightly longer cowl? I really don't understand the neurotic attraction to making everything perfectly scale.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Oct 13, 2014, 02:17 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
740 Posts
When ESM, then KMP and YT International, were asking if people wanted a scale bird or an easy flyer, everyone jumped up and said 'SCALE', and so it was born....

I agree with the size/scale of the plane, and I like the scale appearance. What was NOT good is that they never really tried and tested powerplants in it, that would do the job. They say it is a 30cc plane, but I have yet to see a build that has a 30cc engine that just 'fits'. There is extensive mods required. While I had no problem putting weight in it, and it worked out well, the overall build quality of the plane is not nice. They would have done better to have built it with a top that comes off, like the BH model. And the basic quality of the manufacturing was shoddy.

It looked lovely as a warbird, just simply a difficult build....nowhere NEAR an ARF.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:11 AM
Joined Sep 2014
20 Posts
So far so good !perfect
Tony.J is offline Find More Posts by Tony.J
Old Oct 13, 2014, 06:11 AM
Joined Sep 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge29 View Post
glad to hear she's flying cathurga! Mine's pretty much ready to go, have just been busy maidening other machines first, but looking forward to the tiffie...maybe i'll do it on the 70th anniversary of dday in a couple of weeks. I haven't even fired it up yet, so hopefully have no issues.
Cheers
r
:dvery awesome
Tony.J is offline Find More Posts by Tony.J
Old Oct 13, 2014, 09:15 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathurga View Post
When ESM, then KMP and YT International, were asking if people wanted a scale bird or an easy flyer, everyone jumped up and said 'SCALE', and so it was born....

I agree with the size/scale of the plane, and I like the scale appearance. What was NOT good is that they never really tried and tested powerplants in it, that would do the job. They say it is a 30cc plane, but I have yet to see a build that has a 30cc engine that just 'fits'. There is extensive mods required. While I had no problem putting weight in it, and it worked out well, the overall build quality of the plane is not nice. They would have done better to have built it with a top that comes off, like the BH model. And the basic quality of the manufacturing was shoddy.

It looked lovely as a warbird, just simply a difficult build....nowhere NEAR an ARF.
Your assessment of the ESM models is accurate.
Couple with this their decision to use heavy fiberglass fuselages and to generally disregard weight saving measures commonly practiced by other manufactures, and you have a very heavy model which they refuse to honestly portray the AUW of or give correct COG for, and you have what i predict is now a fading competitor from the scale model market.

Currently there are many wood-frame giant scale models on the market to choose from.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:23 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
1,066 Posts
Has anyone thought of using a Zenoah Z38? 3.5 lbs, 13 pounds of thrust. These engines have a side mounted carburetor, so may be a bit shorter front to back. All the newer ones are electronic ignition and can use 2-cell LiPos for the ignition.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 01:43 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
740 Posts
I don't know much about the Zenoah Z38, but it sounds like a good option, if you can make it fit. I suspect that any side mounted carb setup would require a lot of cowl cutting. If you are OK with that then cool.
There is not a lot of space side-to-side on the tiffy, and looking at pics of the Z38, it has a rear exhaust so as long as it is shorter than a DLE 30, it may just fit.
Old Nov 09, 2014, 10:34 AM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
1,066 Posts
For some reason, I think that I would have lengthened the nose by 3-4 inches and avoided all the problems with balance and engine mounting.

I can understand the emotional attachment to a certain plane, but some airframes are just not good candidates for RC size airframes.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:18 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Blaton
Joined Apr 2007
144 Posts
Hi,

I'll soon receive my ESM Typhoon and I am looking for good retracts for her. There are many posts of various forum about the bad quality of ESM retracts.

Which ones are you using on your own Tyffie ?

Best regards,

Philippe
Belgenland is offline Find More Posts by Belgenland
Old Dec 16, 2014, 03:14 PM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
740 Posts
Philippe,

The ESM retracts are now being built by Century-Jet, apparently. I have tried both, and my experience with them is neutral, but leaning to bad. Avoid making use of either is what I say. You don't need to look further than Electron to get the absolute finest retracts available on the market. If you are going to spend the time to get this plane in the sky, and make sure you are reliant on getting it down without worrying about the retracts, spend the money at Electron, you wont be sorry.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 01:03 PM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Blaton
Joined Apr 2007
144 Posts
Hi Cathurga

Thanks for that valuable information.

Do you have any references for struts that fits the Typhoon?

Philippe
Belgenland is offline Find More Posts by Belgenland
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:03 AM
teamwork, do it my way!
Dubai, UAE
Joined Jun 2007
740 Posts
Phillippe,

I am sorry, I don't have the plane anymore....it went in. I will see if I still have the struts to measure the length, but I will see what I can find. I think I also have the original ESM retracts V3.

I am building a Black Horse Typhoon now, used Electron retracts, with Robart struts, which although they have not been used in flights, they operate very well.

The struts I used are these

http://robart.com/collections/robost...ight-robostrut

Don't forget to buy the gear door mounts as well :-) also from Robart