HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:34 AM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
ROG'ing

OK, I think it's time I 'spilled the beans' on exactly how I get this thing in the air without breaking it (at least how I do it ).

Line the Auto-g directly in to the wind (if any!).
Give the rotors a spin by hand if there isn't enough wind to do it for you.
With 100% ATV's on Aileron control give it Full right aileron and keeping it there, bring the throttle up so she starts moving forward.
Use a little (a lot to begin with) right rudder to keep tracking directly in to wind.
Most important - do NOT touch the elevator.
Slowly increase the throttle and as soon as she starts to lift, decrease the aileron - but only enough to stop a right hand turn.
As soon as you reach 'flying speed' you'll find that the aileron and rudder can be released completely and she should fly straight up and away - turn left or right according to the circuit you wish to complete.

Since using this method I haven't broken any 'Y' pieces and haven't had one single unsuccessful ROG. I haven't yet tried the hand launch as I don't like relying on other people to get my toys airborne and it's proved so easy from the floor it's totally not required.

Just to clarify - I did break the first 'stock' Y blade holder piece almost straight away (thankfully got a couple of flights in first) and the second plastic part didn't last long either! The ply alternatives have served well since but I haven't had a 'blade strike' to prove whether or not they're a good thing (rather have the weak link away from the blades?).

The biggest problem is getting the blades up to speed before lift off - that's what I've read from the posts here anyway - especially if you're (like me!) new to Auto-Gyro models.

Best of luck with your ROG :P
Richard.
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:06 AM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
977 Posts
Hi all,

Here’s my way of achieving a hassle-free take-off with the Auto-G, similar to DD's method but with a few subtle differences:-

Firstly, if you are new to autogyros, it's a good idea to get a feel for how fast the rotor needs to turn to generate enough lift - suggest holding the Auto-G into wind and tilting it backwards about 45 degrees or so. You will see, hear and feel how fast it will turn, with a nice swishing noise. You can also play with the rotor tilt control and feel how it will react, and if it wants to turn left or right with the autogyro held in your hand. Re-trim if it feels like it wants to go one way or the other.

Now that you know what the rotor revs look like, line the autogyro up into wind – this will help to spin the rotor up.

Spin the rotor up by hand, I do it by sticking a finger in close to the rotor hub.

Apply about a third of the throttle so that the autogyro moves forwards SLOWLY, about walking pace.

Keep it into wind at walking pace and wait for the rotor to spin up some more.

Once the rotor is spinning noticeably, apply a bit more throttle, maybe three quarters, so that the autogyro accelerates then lift off like a normal fixed wing aircraft.

If you do it like this there is almost no requirement to use any rotor tilt control.

It takes more time to write down the procedure than to actually do it.

Check out the movies I posted on the thread previously to see it in action.

Hope this helps,

Al
alfoot is offline Find More Posts by alfoot
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:47 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfoot View Post
Hi all,

Here’s my way of achieving a hassle-free take-off with the Auto-G, similar to DD's method but with a few subtle differences:-

Firstly, if you are new to autogyros, it's a good idea to get a feel for how fast the rotor needs to turn to generate enough lift - suggest holding the Auto-G into wind and tilting it backwards about 45 degrees or so. You will see, hear and feel how fast it will turn, with a nice swishing noise. You can also play with the rotor tilt control and feel how it will react, and if it wants to turn left or right with the autogyro held in your hand. Re-trim if it feels like it wants to go one way or the other.

Now that you know what the rotor revs look like, line the autogyro up into wind – this will help to spin the rotor up.

Spin the rotor up by hand, I do it by sticking a finger in close to the rotor hub.

Apply about a third of the throttle so that the autogyro moves forwards SLOWLY, about walking pace.

Keep it into wind at walking pace and wait for the rotor to spin up some more.

Once the rotor is spinning noticeably, apply a bit more throttle, maybe three quarters, so that the autogyro accelerates then lift off like a normal fixed wing aircraft.

If you do it like this there is almost no requirement to use any rotor tilt control.

It takes more time to write down the procedure than to actually do it.

Check out the movies I posted on the thread previously to see it in action.

Hope this helps,

Al
Ditto. I have also tried the hand launch method (after flying the smaller LA Rotorshape, which must be hand launched). Hand launch was total non event, with the model just rising out of my hand at approx 70% throttle. ROG is much cooler though .
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:14 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Sep 2011
69 Posts
Ken,thanks for your tail wheel installation pics.Very inventive,Sir.
beaverbuddy is offline Find More Posts by beaverbuddy
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:02 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2010
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask21! View Post
No, right stick is right tilt and left stick is left tilt.
so left blade comes up right blade down when using right stick direction ?
simonbull1 is offline Find More Posts by simonbull1
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:07 PM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbull1 View Post
so left blade comes up right blade down when using right stick direction ?
Yes that is correct.

Al
alfoot is offline Find More Posts by alfoot
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:34 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I thought I would chime in with my experience. First off, I put 3" wheels for takeoff on grass. Ironically, on my first two days I flew, there was no wind. It was hit and miss on the first day, with it tilting left after pulling elevator. I spun the rotor up as fast as I could before takeoff.
I finally somehow got the main rotor spinning fast enuff and ROG (Rose off grass) after driving around like an RC car for a while. Flew great. I have attempted this 6 or 7 times and haven't found the right AOA to get that damn thing spinning reliably.

I've flown a lot of trainer/warbird conventional gear planes off this field with the drag also, but powered through the drag with many watts.

On this 1" grass, no other choice, I still have a LOT of problems lifting off without looking like a Benny Hill outtake on a day with no wind. I was thinking about a motorized spinner thing that would spin the head up to 300 RPM or so. I'm not sure I'm that enamoured with the Auto experience to construct something like this spinner device though.

Anyway, it's different. I'll mess around with it this winter.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,490 Posts
Look at what just showed up in the USA warehouse!

Dura Fly Auto-G now in USA!
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
It's about time!
Thanks ducatirdr!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Look at what just showed up in the USA warehouse!

Dura Fly Auto-G now in USA!
Let's see if we can get some buddy pricing!
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Too late buddy...I already clicked it!

Just what I need....another autogyro! HA!
Joe
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:44 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
859 Posts
I almost did too but, since I already have one, I'll wait to see if parts become available. Extra blades, props and head assemblies can be put in the same box.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
What do YOU need extra parts for Don?!?!? Us experienced autogyro pilots don't crash....that much!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:55 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodini View Post
What do YOU need extra parts for Don?!?!? Us experienced autogyro pilots don't crash....that much!
Ha! Umm, I getting them for a friend?

DC
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
Boondocks, East Coast, USA
Joined Jun 2003
648 Posts
When you do the toothpick on the inner hole, do you ream out the plastic so it will fit all the way thru to the barrel of the toothpick? My tooth picks are a bigger diamter than the screws. A picture of that installation would be great. Something I've learned is the GWS HD two blade props 10 x 8 or the GWS 3 blade SF prop 9 x 7 both draw about the same as the stock 10x8 prop. Also, they break easily in a crash instead of bending the motor shaft. The Master airscrew 10x 7 works fine but is very stiff. I am having a blast flying this thing. Great thread especially if you are having any trouble.
W
Wolfman is offline Find More Posts by Wolfman
Last edited by Wolfman; Dec 14, 2012 at 06:01 PM.