HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:07 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,938 Posts
Bob, 3S is plenty on this plane. It's very feral and I'd be afraid that 4S would tear it apart .

Here's a video of my plane's very first flight in gusty wind conditions. Sorry for the small plane size in the frame; it was hard to keep it in close due to strong wind, "new plane syndrome" and no flying in the previous 2 weeks. The plane is not trimmed out properly yet; I just did some quick elevator trim adjustments to stop it diving for the ground. This is a complete flight from takeoff to landing. The control responsiveness is just great and pitch authority is just insane . This feels more like a balsa plane than any foamy I have flown.

Skywing/Wattaplane 48" Scale Edge EPP - Maiden Flight in Gusty Wind (5 min 19 sec)
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:48 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
557 Posts
well done! groovejet & Nac. I love your KE spins an Touque rolls
VR Eyedoc is offline Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:05 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,425 Posts
Nice flying, Groove

Thinking of getting one of these - or their SBach...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:33 AM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Bob, 3S is plenty on this plane. It's very feral and I'd be afraid that 4S would tear it apart .

Here's a video of my plane's very first flight in gusty wind conditions. Sorry for the small plane size in the frame; it was hard to keep it in close due to strong wind, "new plane syndrome" and no flying in the previous 2 weeks. The plane is not trimmed out properly yet; I just did some quick elevator trim adjustments to stop it diving for the ground. This is a complete flight from takeoff to landing. The control responsiveness is just great and pitch authority is just insane . This feels more like a balsa plane than any foamy I have flown.

https://vimeo.com/50921202
Excellent maiden! Thanks for sharing.

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:21 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:

Nice flying as usual Scott. Looks like its a pussycat in your hands.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:46 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,026 Posts
I ordered the Red/Black one today. I also ordered a replacement MXS on Saturday, so now I'm set for a while. I'm sick of repairing busted up balsa planes and as nice as these fly I'm going back to these foamies. All the great flying characteristics of balsa and the ease of repairing a foamie.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:20 PM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
i take it wattaplane doesnt have these yet?
does wattaplane ship to US?
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:55 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,522 Posts
Quote:

https://vimeo.com/50921202
Awesome maiden, great looking plane.

Loved the crow coming in and saying "what 'chu doing up here cracker", and then thinking better as you were rolling, then wondering if it should come back and then chickening out with that "yeah, I won" attitude.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:40 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
I just ordered a red/black one too!
nac is online now Find More Posts by nac
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:20 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,026 Posts
Hey Groove, just wondering if you did any lg mods. Like putting gorilla glue in the lg plate like on the other skywing's. Or any other mods you felt were a good idea.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:00 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,938 Posts
Thanks guys .

Hey BJ, is the Stiffy still flying, or did the Magpie send it to its death?

LoneWolf, hehe, those Magpies can be a real pain at this time of year.

Jet, I totally agree with you about these planes being similar to balsa planes but being far more durable and far easier to repair. As always, mods are a personal thing, and as I fly these planes really hard, I did a few mods on my Edge. Hopefully the photos are self-explanatory, but feel free to ask if you want more info.

My Edge has had a grand total of 2 flights on it so far and both flights were during the same quick flying session in gusty wind. Nac filmed the second flight and I have put together a video from that flight that I will post in a few days when my Vimeo HD upload quota resets.

BTW I also ordered another Edge kit; in the blue Skywing scheme this time .
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:17 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,425 Posts
Groove - yes, the Stiffy is still flying.

The Maggie gave me the big Dirty Sanchez (as you saw in the pic) and stalled me a tad too close too the ground

It went in - but fortunately pretty flat, so no real damage there.

Still trying to get to grips with that thing, and having a helluva time getting my head around the whole 3D scene - man, it sure is lot harder to do than it looks

I'm just happy if I can hang it off the prop for now - and even that ain't so easy to do for a n00b like me. Can't seem to get a decent knife-edge happening (and forget 'rolling harriers' for now). Much more practice needed me thinks (and probably some good coaching *hint hint*)

But... back on topic...

These SkyWing thingies - there's a few PPers who run the Sbach... and I think they make an "Extra" too (??).

From what I've seen so far, all these SkyWing's fly quite well.

Anything in particular you could recommend for someone like me who hasn't quite got his chit together with all things 3D?

i.e. which one would be a good all-rounder to cut my teeth on? (the Stiffy is fun - heaps But I suck at flying it)

BJ
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:24 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Groove - yes, the Stiffy is still flying.

The Maggie gave me the big Dirty Sanchez (as you saw in the pic) and stalled me a tad too close too the ground

It went in - but fortunately pretty flat, so no real damage there.

Still trying to get to grips with that thing, and having a helluva time getting my head around the whole 3D scene - man, it sure is lot harder to do than it looks

I'm just happy if I can hang it off the prop for now - and even that ain't so easy to do for a n00b like me. Can't seem to get a decent knife-edge happening (and forget 'rolling harriers' for now). Much more practice needed me thinks (and probably some good coaching *hint hint*)

But... back on topic...

These SkyWing thingies - there's a few PPers who run the Sbach... and I think they make an "Extra" too (??).

From what I've seen so far, all these SkyWing's fly quite well.

Anything in particular you could recommend for someone like me who hasn't quite got his chit together with all things 3D?

i.e. which one would be a good all-rounder to cut my teeth on? (the Stiffy is fun - heaps But I suck at flying it)

BJ
I had the yak stiffy, that thing flew like a brick. It was hard to do anything with it.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,425 Posts
Kewl

Then... I figure if I can get the Stiffy Extra to do anything half-decent, I should be able to fly the wings of a SkyWing

BJ
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:29 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Yes you can BJ
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance