HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:57 PM
Joined Jul 2007
8 Posts
Discussion
Gimbal Design

Hey guys

I am busy designing a gimbal for a canon 5d mark III to be used on rc helicopter.

I am planing on using brushless motor, but now the question is what sort of motors should I get. The camera weighs 2.6kg with the lense on ( I weighed it to check)

Also I was designing the gimbal for 3 axis but I can't find any 3 axis brushless gimbal controller, is it required to have 3 axis for filming or will 2 axis do just fine.
Kingclip is offline Find More Posts by Kingclip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2013, 06:51 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,600 Posts
Why a Heli??? I ask because most would choose a multirotor not a heli for a camera of that size.

You should really be asking these questions/search in the multirotor forum. It has all the info you can digest. At this time the 3 axis add on boards are not out yet. To get 3 axis now you need two boards. IMO if you are in this for the long haul you need 3 axis. if you use two you will soon notice the yaw footage is unstable. The eye always picks the most obvious flaws.

I just finished up my 3 axis housing/gimbal and did a test shoot, it is the smoothest footage I have to date. Here is a clip of the gimbal housing/operation and a test clip in action.

On the Smugmug link, after you hit play, hit the dropdown in the lower right and select 1080p.

Mike

http://www.whispershots.com/Aerial-i...S4MB8jb/Medium

3rd Axis housing for brushless gimbal (5 min 19 sec)
power is offline Find More Posts by power