HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:05 PM
Registered User
USA, AR, Austin
Joined Jun 2009
326 Posts
Even AA fuel dragster will not run on just nitro, has to be a mix of alcohol and nitro.
tower flyer is offline Find More Posts by tower flyer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:54 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,599 Posts
Nitro

Most of us over here do call it methanol engines because that is the main product those engines use. I do not know any model airplane flyer in Europe calling his engines nitro engines and I believe that is entirely an American issue, or is it invention ? And the so called gas-engines are simply benzine-engines here, but in good old England the same stuff is called petrol. Absurd idea to use the name nitro, even when your fuel does contain 50%. I do put 50% cream in my coffee's but they still are called coffee. Gas (gaz in French)
does NOT stand for the liquid stuff that you pour into your car in Europe. So my 120cc DLE engine in the Spitfire does NOT run on gas here. But that nitro denomination makes no sense at all. I did start off with Cox engines in the fifties and that fuel contained loads of nitro but we only did know the word methanol and that remains the correct original name.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:00 AM
Registered User
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCr View Post
Yeah, I hadn't thought of that but gas engines in the UK are really petrol engines. And I also was aware, although I've never run one, that diesels don't actually use diesel fuel. If memory serves it's a kerosene, oil, ether mix? Do people actually try to run them on auto/truck diesel?

But then gas is kind of a generic term. Remember in the movie Top Gun one of the pilots talks about being "way low on gas". I also remember watching a a program on Discovery Wings where an AH-64 pilot, talking about all the stuff that can be hung on the hard points of his Apache, referred to extra fuel as a "bag of gas".
You can replace the kerosene (paraffin over here) in (model) diesel fuel with auto diesel but it's not as good. And without the ether nothing is going to happen.

Oh and "gas" is only a generic term in American English as in the American film Top Gun or on the American Discovery Channel. Many other dialects of English use different words. And then there are all those languages that aren't any brand of English .

Not that any of it really matters so long as we can understand one another....eventually .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:15 AM
Registered User
Danny_l's Avatar
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Quote:
don't know why it bugs me so much, but it does. Maybe because I've been flying model airplanes for so long. I get the impression that the ones that say nitro when they mean glow are noobs who haven't been in the hobby long. I have a hard time believing someone in their 50's like me would say nitro.
Hello Mike,
so you've been flying models for many years (round of applause) what is the big issue with what someone calls the fuel??
And if they are NOOBS as you say in a derogatory manner, why not just correct them (politely) and teach them from your wisdom?
After all, even a very experience person like yourself had to start learning from scractch one day.

BTW, I am in my 50's and I honestly don't care what someone calls the fuel.
When I teach a student I focus on them understanding the parts of the plane and what the plane does in respond to a particular control input so that they can enjoy the hobby.

I dislike people who think that because they've been in a particular sport or hobby for X years it makes them better than their fellows.

Brgds,
Danny
Danny_l is offline Find More Posts by Danny_l
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:53 AM
Registered User
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_l View Post
Hello Mike,
so you've been flying models for many years (round of applause) what is the big issue with what someone calls the fuel??
And if they are NOOBS as you say in a derogatory manner, why not just correct them (politely) and teach them from your wisdom?
After all, even a very experience person like yourself had to start learning from scractch one day.

BTW, I am in my 50's and I honestly don't care what someone calls the fuel.
When I teach a student I focus on them understanding the parts of the plane and what the plane does in respond to a particular control input so that they can enjoy the hobby.

I dislike people who think that because they've been in a particular sport or hobby for X years it makes them better than their fellows.

Brgds,
Danny
I wasn't referring to those new to the hobby in a derogatory fashion. They're new and therefore don't know any better. I do however agree with the others who've said that it's most likely the marketing people that coined the term nitro because it sounds cooler and more badass.

The reason I have problem with it is because it's wrong. Look at the forum on here about converting to electric. Is it called Nitro to Electric? No, it called Glow to Electric. Glow is the correct term. Nitro is used to attract those that would otherwise be dis-interested, at least in the eyes of the marketing types.



Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:04 AM
Registered User
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tower flyer View Post
Even AA fuel dragster will not run on just nitro, has to be a mix of alcohol and nitro.
I thought they did run pure nitro but that they had to start them on gasoline because it's difficult if not impossible to get them to start on nitro. Could be wrong. And some would use a nitro/methanol mix because of the high cost of nitro.


Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:36 AM
Registered User
downunder's Avatar
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,067 Posts
I'm no fan of drag racing but I believe they used to run on pure nitro until, for some reason, the rules were changed so that a certain % had to be methanol.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:11 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
scootrb4's Avatar
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,111 Posts
I'm new here so I'll relax, read what's posted, ... and go with the glow.



Or get gas
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Last edited by scootrb4; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:12 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
scootrb4's Avatar
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,111 Posts
Sorry for the double post
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Last edited by scootrb4; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: it's obvious,no?
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:31 AM
Registered User
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I'm no fan of drag racing but I believe they used to run on pure nitro until, for some reason, the rules were changed so that a certain % had to be methanol.
And if that's true it certainly hasn't affected the HP. I was watching a drag race a while back and they said they can't even accurately measure the HP any more. They're over 10,000 HP and it seems to me that it wasn't long ago that they were only around 6K.



Mike
MikeCr is offline Find More Posts by MikeCr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:43 AM
FloridaFlyBob's Avatar
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
I'm new here so I'll relax, read what's posted, ... and go with the glow.



Or get gas
Speaking of gas, I swear the dog did it!
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:49 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,655 Posts
Hey, Mike, I am in your corner. There are some dragsters and funny cars that run on a 100% Nitro but I do not know of any model airplane engines that do.

I think the term came from the model car group. No real reason for it and it too will pass on in time when they, the users, get tired of it. It is a fad thing. Nothing more.

So hang in there.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:03 AM
-insert witty saying here-
Hemikiller's Avatar
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,798 Posts
It came from the R/C car guys...

Worked at a hobby shop for a spell and gave up explaining it to the new guys coming in wanting a "nitro powered" touring car or monster truck. If you've ever heard a radio ad for NHRA Top fuel drag races, you "nitro fueled" to death.

Just sounds cool and sells product.....
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:07 AM
Registered User
ace4rc's Avatar
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,833 Posts
What a hilarious thread. And here I have thought all these years all engines were refered to as ICE's ( internal combustion engine). And I thought gas was short for gasoline which is a term for petroleum, which is a common term among anyone that has anything to do with engine's, including the oil refineries. But then what do I know. I do know I don't give a hoot what anyone anywhere calls any of it. As long as I have enough common sence to know what they are talking about we can have a conversation.
ace4rc is offline Find More Posts by ace4rc
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:12 AM
Registered User
ace4rc's Avatar
tampa,florida
Joined Nov 2007
1,833 Posts
Another example of an ill used term is airplane. It's not an airplane it's aeroplane or aircraft. But like I said who really cares?
ace4rc is offline Find More Posts by ace4rc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Zimbabwe; A Lesson On What Happens When You Tax the Rich 100% Treeline Life, The Universe, and Politics 20 Jan 30, 2013 07:41 PM
Discussion Exactly What Happens When A Glow Engine 4 Cycles? tigreflyer Control Line 14 Jan 27, 2013 10:48 PM
Discussion When did this go south? Black_heart Other Websites 5 Jan 23, 2013 11:17 PM
Discussion when did the cost if shipping dictate what an item is worth? turbored21 Trader Talk 14 Jan 16, 2013 08:42 AM
Rant Escape? ESC? ESCAPE?? When did this happen? Tram Electric Plane Talk 60 Sep 21, 2008 08:22 PM