HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:01 AM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Discussion
How do I clamp a torn fuselage?

Hey, I'm wondering if there isn't a better way to do this.

We all know what happens when EPO aircraft hit the ground a little too hard. Fuselages can rip and break.

How does one best repair a crack or tear about the circumference of the fuselage (as opposed to along the length), especially if it is a partial crack and not fully broken all the way around?

I use 30 minute epoxy because I find that CA eventually comes loose, hot glue sets to quickly, and I've never had an epoxy repair break in the same place. I use the 30 minute because it isn't as brittle and seems to "bite" more than the quick stuff.

How does one clamp a repair like this while it sets? Holding it tight and still until the glue sets up is very annoying and sometimes painful. I cant really see how to clamp it effectively from the front and back, even if I had a big enough clamp, and simply clamping the side doesn't give pressure in the proper direction.

I thought about maybe using bamboo skewers on either side of the crack and bringing them together with clamps or bands to hold the crack shut but then I end up with more holes in my plane and what could be weak points with the potential for starting additional cracks.

ideas?
johnwohl is offline Find More Posts by johnwohl
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:52 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
If the fuse is strong enough to take a light weight clamp either side of the break you could try rubber bands on these to pull it together;or even another clamp across them.
Masking tape can sometimes be enough.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
861 Posts
I use 5 min but when you put it on wiggle the two bits togethor. If you don't already do it you will see just how strong it is
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:21 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,005 Posts
I agree with Stupot. Masking tape is a pretty good thing. It has a tiny bit of stretch. Several strips across the joint should do the job. Just make sure is is clean so the tape will stick.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:05 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,951 Posts
i've found that packing tape is my friend for these kind of jobs
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:45 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,197 Posts
You can't beat hot melt for foamies.
Once repaired it may still be mishapened so dunk it in hot water for awhile, but not too hot otherwise the hot melt will melt again
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:52 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,260 Posts
Rubber bands plus masking tape here....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2008
581 Posts
Two 18-inch-long lengths of aluminum angle iron held on with several wraps of tape will keep the fuse perfectly aligned while the epoxy dries.
rockyabq is online now Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member