SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Mar 2012
88 Posts
Discussion
Brand new lipos won't charge.

Hello.
I bought two Turnigy 1300mAh 3S 25C lipos that arrived a few days ago. Today I removed the XT60 plugs and soldered on MPX plugs on both batteries. I'm not excactly good at soldering but never had any problems before.
I also used some shrink tube.
When I was done I was going to charge them in my X-Charger 6060. I plugged in the battery and started BALANCE mode but the charger just started beeping and showed the message: "Connection Break".

I tried with the other battery, same thing. Tried CHARGE instead of balance, did not work.
I then tried them in the charger that came with my Super Cub. But that did not work either.
Could I really have done something wrong with two batteries at the same time when I've never had any problems soldering before..?

What might the problem be? Thank you in advance!
kjur is offline Find More Posts by kjur
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:16 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,556 Posts
Check that you have the polarity correct. Being they won't charge on any charger.

Check the voltage at the connectors with a muti meter and move them around while doing so. This should tell you if you have a bad solder joint.

If that shows that you have good joints, then I would suspect that you have the Plus and Minus of the new connector soldered on backwards.
tacx is online now Find More Posts by tacx
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Mar 2012
88 Posts
I do not have a multi meter unfortunately. The polarity is correct.
I just soldered a new MPX plug on one of the batteries but that did not help.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Try a normal charge briefly without the balance wire connected. That will tell you if the problem is in the balance wires or the main wires.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:47 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjur View Post
I do not have a multi meter unfortunately.
Order one. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-98025.html

Seriously, without having means to determine the most basic measurement necessary for e-flight will only serve in providing frustration.

Do you have any friends with a multimeter or other device capable of measuring voltage to assist in troubleshooting?

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Try a normal charge briefly without the balance wire connected. That will tell you if the problem is in the balance wires or the main wires.
I do not think my charger can charge without the balance wire, I've tried on my other lipos before but then the message "Connection Break" appears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Order one. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-98025.html

Seriously, without having means to determine the most basic measurement necessary for e-flight will only serve in providing frustration.

Do you have any friends with a multimeter or other device capable of measuring voltage to assist in troubleshooting?

Mark
I'll buy one in few days, I've found some on a website for a local store. There are many different though, both really cheap and very expensive ones.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:29 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,036 Posts
The cheap multimeter will be adequate for your purposes.

What charger do you own? Does it have a 'monitor' mode that allows you to monitor individual cell voltages via the balance tap without initiating a charge?

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,556 Posts
Even though you soldered the connector plug "plus" to the red wire and the minus to the black wire you could still be reversed polarity. Without a muti meter you won't be able to check if the battery came from the manufacturer with the correct polarity.

Always check new batteries for the correct polarity. Many have lost their batts by using them without checking that the polarity is correct to begin with.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:04 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,911 Posts
Does the red wire from the battery connect to the red wire from the charger? Oe is it black to red?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Does the red wire from the battery connect to the red wire from the charger? Oe is it black to red?
It is red to red. I'm charging other lipos without any problems.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,556 Posts
your other lipos are the correct polarity in relationship to the connectors polarity.

You need to make sure your new batteries wires are the correct polarity.

Don't assume the red is plus and the black is minus.

If your batteries polarity is backwards then red to red means nothing.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:51 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,622 Posts
Quote:
I do not have a multi meter unfortunately. The polarity is correct.
I just soldered a new MPX plug on one of the batteries but that did not help.
You really need to have a multi meter. They are not very expensive and take out all the guesswork when it comes to diagnosing electrical problems.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,556 Posts
In a nut shell. The manufacturer could have soldered the red wire to the negative battery side and the black wire to the positive side. You can't assume they did it right.

You need a muti tester to check it properly.

If you put the meters red probe on the batteries red wire and the meters black probe on the batteries black wire the meter SHOULD read ( xx.x volts ). If it reads ( - xx.x volts ) then the battery wires are connected backwards INSIDE the battery.

If you find they are backwards it is not a problem. You just need to reverse the connector on the battery wires and reidentifiy the colors of the wires. In other words put red tape on the black wire and put black tape on the red wire.

If you are going to be in this hobby you need to get a muti meter.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:40 AM
Joined Mar 2012
88 Posts
Thanks for the help everybody. I'll tell you how it goes when I've bought a multi meter.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:09 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,622 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the help everybody. I'll tell you how it goes when I've bought a multi meter.

Donít try to use your multi meter to measure internal resistance that will burn out your meter. Thatís the biggest mistake that some beginners make.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man