HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:13 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
And that contributes exactly what to the SSS thread? Have you ever used PM's?
Sure I have, have you?

The contribution was that this kind bullying behavior might be stemmed if pointed out. Lurkers such as me (in this thread) have every right to give my opinion in something that ruins an otherwise good and informative thread. It is an open forum after all but it's sad when some think their opinion is worth more than others.
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Last edited by boopidoo; Jan 21, 2013 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:22 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
It is an open forum after all but it's sad when some think their opinion is worth more than others.
+1

On another note, has anyone tried towing the SSS? I know its powered, but I'd like to do it just for fun. Any recommendations?

Eric
EricClark is online now Find More Posts by EricClark
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:43 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,588 Posts
Well it should be possible if it's not too heavy. What tow plane did you have in mind?
boopidoo is offline Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Jan 2013
3 Posts
Trying to find out if the standard sky surfer or the super sky surfer would be better for a "first" plane having NEVER flow rc before or used a sim. Advise welcome.
onco11 is offline Find More Posts by onco11
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:51 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,867 Posts
Go with the standard...

The super is nice but it takes room and is a little less forgiving...

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:18 AM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
966 Posts
Experts, i need your help with a couple of questions i have:

1. what is the general consensus on what the best prop is with the stock motor / 3S battery to get max FPV efficiency? by efficiency i mean max meters covered per amps consumed to get long range coverage. Don't care about speed or power. Just miles per gallon so to speak

2. I would like to move the elevator servo to the tail for better reliability. I am planning on also swapping the servo to a Hitec HS-85MG i have sitting around from an old plane. good idea? is there a better more reliable servo choice? the elevator servo is really the one i can't have fail on me in the air so any advise here is greatly appreciated!.

3. Even though i do gentle FPV / no aerobatics, is it still a good idea to beef up the wing root area on the fuse below the motor? should i skip this and save weight?

4. anything i need to do to ensure a reliable long range FPV platform?

Thanks a lot guys!

By the way, i've done 12km fpv round trip at 2700mah consumed so far with this awesome plane.
compuatic is online now Find More Posts by compuatic
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:25 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic View Post
Experts, i need your help with a couple of questions i have:

1. what is the general consensus on what the best prop is with the stock motor / 3S battery to get max FPV efficiency? by efficiency i mean max meters covered per amps consumed to get long range coverage. Don't care about speed or power. Just miles per gallon so to speak

2. I would like to move the elevator servo to the tail for better reliability. I am planning on also swapping the servo to a Hitec HS-85MG i have sitting around from an old plane. good idea? is there a better more reliable servo choice? the elevator servo is really the one i can't have fail on me in the air so any advise here is greatly appreciated!.

3. Even though i do gentle FPV / no aerobatics, is it still a good idea to beef up the wing root area on the fuse below the motor? should i skip this and save weight?

4. anything i need to do to ensure a reliable long range FPV platform?

Thanks a lot guys!

By the way, i've done 12km fpv round trip at 2700mah consumed so far with this awesome plane.
i used an 8x8 apc E prop on stock motor and it worked fine, Hitec servos seem to be top of the line,although i have never used them. i think some nylon reenforced tape on fuse wing area would be enough.just my 2 cents worth
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:32 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic View Post
compuatic, I've mounted a #16 keychain cam on a few model planes, but have never done real FPV.

I've looked at some of readymaderc.com's stuff, but know very little about it.

What kind of R/C system did you use to control the plane that far away?

And what kind of video system (camera, transmitter, receiver, viewing device) did you use to get the video from the plane, back to you on the ground? What frequency, how many mW transmitted power?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:01 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
compuatic, I've mounted a #16 keychain cam on a few model planes, but have never done real FPV.

I've looked at some of readymaderc.com's stuff, but know very little about it.

What kind of R/C system did you use to control the plane that far away?

And what kind of video system (camera, transmitter, receiver, viewing device) did you use to get the video from the plane, back to you on the ground? What frequency, how many mW transmitted power?

Inquiring minds want to know!
i been thinking about FPV also, here are some links. http://www.fpvpilot.com/Pages/GettingStartedinFPV.aspx, http://www.bevrc.com/new-fatshark-predator-v2_p331.html, http://fpv-community.com/testblog/
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:29 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Nov 2012
124 Posts
SSS Ruby FPV flying the shoreline

Here's a nice flight this weekend with the SSS.

SSS FPV winter reservoir shoreline (6 min 28 sec)
BldrFlyr is offline Find More Posts by BldrFlyr
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:41 PM View Post
ajbaker
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while ajbaker edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:44 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
problem

Quote:
Well it should be possible if it's not too heavy. What tow plane did you have in mind?
Hmmm.... Do you even know how much an SSS weighs? Do you even own one? If so, proof please.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:13 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Must be high desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrFlyr View Post
Here's a nice flight this weekend with the SSS.

]
Nice video. It climbs out really well. Very smooth flying. Were you flying it with your FPV? That reservoir looks like a nice place to swim (for a polar bear). What prop did you use with the 4s LiPo? Did you have the upgrade installed when you made the video?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:30 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Well that is what I'm unsure of. My SSS should weight around 5lbs AUW but I don't know what kind of power/weight ratio the tow plane should have to the glider. Just curious if there was a "rule of thumb" out there for tow planes.

Eric
EricClark is online now Find More Posts by EricClark
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:35 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Well that is what I'm unsure of. My SSS should weight around 5lbs AUW but I don't know what kind of power/weight ratio the tow plane should have to the glider. Just curious if there was a "rule of thumb" out there for tow planes.

Eric
Off the top of my head, i'd say you need about 400 watts on the SSS to take off smoothly, so if the tow plane has at least that extra available for thrust on takeoff, it's a starting guideline
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member