HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2009, 12:14 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
334 Posts
Help!
Depressed, Disgusted and looking for ideas...

for a quality F-18 (64mm or 70MM). I have had a really bad experience with my most recent Foamy EDF Jet. I would like to get one, but all I read is that basically these things are all crap or close to it. Now that being said my first was a HL RTF F18 I upgraded the batteries. It was actually a nice plane until my dumb thumbs flew it into a cactus at full throttle.

Anyway, I want to get a quality F18/F4/F22/F16 (maybe something else) in 64 or 70mm that can use my 3s 2100 mah Pro Lite batteries. I also have the radio and receiver. I would like an ARF with a decent fan, motor and esc installed. I would be willing to install my own servos.

So somebody put a back on my face and give me some ideas about a plane you have actually owned or had experience with. thanks.
splais is online now Find More Posts by splais
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2009, 12:47 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Check out the SAPAC kits...their F-22 is a great flyer but its moe fun on 4s 3700. The motors and fans are fine but you need to upgrade the ESC's for the 4s set up.

Now for a 3s 2100 EDF I would guess that maybe the best choice is the HP F-16....
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old May 27, 2009, 01:07 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
334 Posts
Please, no abbreviations, this EDF jet stuff is new to me. What is "HP". thanks.
Old May 27, 2009, 01:39 PM
Its a Condition not Addiction
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Jul 2008
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splais
Please, no abbreviations, this EDF jet stuff is new to me. What is "HP". thanks.

Hobbie People. WWW.hobbiepeople.net

Phase 3 F-16. Very good jet. Sapac Eurofighter, very good Jet as well. Along with Atis's recommendation of the Raptor F-22. Any of these you will find lots of info about them on RC groups. They are all great fliers.

James
lashmett75 is offline Find More Posts by lashmett75
Old May 27, 2009, 04:10 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
334 Posts
That Phase 3 was the right size and plane; but I'm sorry, it is the ugliest covering scheme I've ever seen, want something more 'military'
Old May 27, 2009, 04:18 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Feb 2007
328 Posts
I agree with you on the looks of the stock scheme, but you are not bound to use the stickers that come with the kit (not many people do). I used some monocote trim sheets to mimic the Edwards Airfoce Base chase plane scheme quite easily. Looks fantastic. There is someone here on rcgroups that is selling a really nice Thunder Birds scheme for it.

The Phase 3 F-16 is arguably the best bang for the buck edf foamy on the market. It has an amazing speed range alowing it to go very fast and yet it can still slow down to a crawl for an easy landing.
squirrlybird is offline Find More Posts by squirrlybird
Old May 27, 2009, 04:20 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashmett75
Hobbie People. WWW.hobbiepeople.net

Phase 3 F-16. Very good jet. Sapac Eurofighter, very good Jet as well. Along with Atis's recommendation of the Raptor F-22. Any of these you will find lots of info about them on RC groups. They are all great fliers.

James

I think you're offering great advice...except the URL is wrong. try: www.hobbypeople.net
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old May 27, 2009, 04:21 PM
Yuma, AZ
Joined Oct 2003
334 Posts
what does the plane look like without the stickers? I hate all that red/blue stripping, numbers, etc. Is the plane all white without the stick-ons?
Old May 27, 2009, 04:22 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
That Phase 3 was the right size and plane; but I'm sorry, it is the ugliest covering scheme I've ever seen, want something more 'military'
Testors rattle cans (available at any hobby shop) work great on the foam and a two-tone flat grey scale scheme is pretty easy to replicate without any serious skills.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old May 27, 2009, 04:26 PM
Kill Devil Hills 27948
Joined Mar 2009
420 Posts
I have a few of the Hobby Lobby birds an all are doing great,2 I hoped up with a better fan and motor but they fly great do have a Nitro plan F22 and flys great,if you want to know more just ask?
Skip
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=DSC02936.jpg
obxfishfuzz is offline Find More Posts by obxfishfuzz
Old May 27, 2009, 04:42 PM
Targeted and... FIRING !
United States, MI, Eastpointe
Joined Aug 2007
670 Posts
Quote:
what does the plane look like without the stickers? I hate all that red/blue stripping, numbers, etc. Is the plane all white without the stick-ons?
Yes. The way it comes out of the box, the plane is all white.
D B Cooper is offline Find More Posts by D B Cooper
Old May 27, 2009, 05:19 PM
LOWERRR!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,494 Posts
+1 for the Phase 3, I'm about to order another one myself I absolutely love it.
MadMonkey572 is online now Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Old May 27, 2009, 05:23 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Hobby Lobby has lots of 64 and 70mm airframes -

The Great Planes L-39 comes with fan, motor and ESC., Your battery would work, assuming you get the CG right.

Here are my P3 F-16 and GP L-39, both painted differently than stock.

Also, Starmax 64mm F4 and 70mm F/A-18C, their paint jobs - pretty "military", I believe, (although not sure what country the F4 belongs to - lol!)
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Last edited by kelberts; May 27, 2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old May 27, 2009, 08:00 PM
United States, OH
Joined Dec 2006
207 Posts
Here is my HP F-16. My first EDF. Only mods I mad were to glass the bottom to help protect the foam. It was my first attempt at glassing and it was easier than I thought. I also reinforced the taileron area with lite ply per many peoples recommendations.

It was painted with the Testors's foam safe spray paint. Decals were obtained from this forum and printed on a full page label I obtained form Office Max.

It does fly real nice on the stock set up and 2200 mah Zippy Batteries. I get about 5 minutes of flight time. Good value
Blue Jacket is offline Find More Posts by Blue Jacket