SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2009, 10:54 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
Build Log
ms composite epp warbird build and discussion

I was searching online for information on the ms composite warbirds before starting the build of my own ms composite mustang, and suprisingly,the only information I could find on the warbird series were only a few posts here and there buried within the 3D series discussions.So,I decided to start a thread documenting my build and provide a place for discussion of the warbird series,if there is any interest None of the components used were provided by any company.

The goal of this build was to have a nice parkflier using most of the components I already had on hand at the time of the build. I'm a pretty low time pilot at this time having only built and flown an ezstar, an unknown powered glider, and an ms composite swift II wing. I have a lot to learn about building airplanes and I made a couple of mistakes along the way, but the build turned out really nice and the ms composite mustang performed to my expectations.

when I came home from the maiden,my wife asked, how did it go? I replied that it went great, and she mentioned the fact that it was a good sign that I had a succesful maiden of the mustang on Memorial day weekend.

So, on to the build.
antennahead is online now Find More Posts by antennahead
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2009, 10:55 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
So, whats in the kit, well it's a pretty simple kit. some have complained about the packaging as the whole kit is just packaged inside a plastic bag......that's it.....no box, no fancy full color picture of the completed model. I would assume that if you ordered from them online that it would be shipped in a box, but being that I'm from the midwest, I have always purchased from them direct at any one of the number of shows and fun flies around the area that they have booths set up at.

One note, the rudder is printed on both sides,despite what I say in the photo captions.
Last edited by antennahead; May 25, 2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:56 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
once I installed the carbon strip into the wing pannels, I cut a piece of foam to the recomended 30 mm. I placed one wing flat on the table,then placed the other wing with the tip on the piece of foam, butted the two ends together and used t-pins to hold them until the gorilla glue dried. once dried,I cut out the inner sides of the ailerons to provide clearance for the fuse.I then started on fuse preperation by installing a 10 inch long piece of 1/4 inch wide carbon strip installed from where the motor mounts to just below where the canopy starts.I only did this on one side of the fuse. this (I hope)stiffens the front part of the fuse if I accidentaly nose it into the ground. some have run a strip from front to tail on both sides. I didn't want to do this because, since it is not a 3d model and doesn't have the control surface size to really perform 3d it doesn't need to be that stiff, also,I didn't want to add more weight to the tail of the plane.

A note about the glues I used in this build,

white gorilla glue to join the wing halves,and to the carbon tube added to the motor mount (see post below)

thin ca applied over the carbon strip,

liquid nails perfect glue to glue the depron tailsurfaces (be carful what glue you use here, as some glues like goop, melt depron)

Goop to glue the main wing to the fuse, control horns, and servos.
Last edited by antennahead; May 25, 2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:57 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
to finish up fuse preperation, I drilled out two smaller holes that were already in the motor mount to fit around two 3 inch long pieces of rod, then drilled two coresponding holes into the front of the fuse behined where the mount gets glued on. I used gorrilla glue to glue the rods into the fuse, then gorrilla glued the mount into place, this will further strengthen the front of the fuse.

I cut a hole in the main wing for the aileron servo, installed and set up the linkages. I used hxt500 servos for all of the control surfaces. Ms composite provides plastic servo frames that are to be glued onto the fuse, then the servos inserted into the holes and screwed to the frames. I elected to not use the frames and glued the servos directly to the foam.

You may notice two sets of control horns glued to the ailerons, this is one of my mistakes.......I glued the provided horns to far out on the ailerons and could not get any aileron throw, I then installed a set of Du-bro horns closer in on the ailerons, then cut off the incorrectly installed horns and sanded the remainder flush with the wing. if anyone sees this and asks what are these? I reply,that they are vortex generators

Since these pictures where taken, I replaced the aileron servo horn with a much longer HS55 3d servo horn.

I cut both the elevator and rudder at the hinge line depicted on the printing, I cut a 45 degree bevel on the edges and hinged both with Du-bro hinge tape (3-M blenderm tape) a piece of clear mylar is used to hold the bottom of the rudder to the fuse, I elected to replace this with a Du-bro micro hinge instead.

once the ailerons were squared away,I centered the wing in the fuse and glued into place with goop and used t-pins to hold it in place until the glue dried.
Last edited by antennahead; May 25, 2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:58 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
I guess I forgot to take pictures of installing the rudder and elevator

Ms composite provides a tooth pick to strengthen the middle of the elevator,I elected to replace this with a 1/4 piece of carbon flat strip.

There are no provided dimensions as to where to cut out the holes for the rudder and elevator servos. so I temporarily installed the rudder and elevator,with horns installed and the control rods connected to estimate the locations of the servos, once location was determined, I dug out the holes to mount the servos and glued them into place. I then glued the rudder and elevator onto the plane using Liquid nails brand perfect glue. Again remember to use a glue that is safe on depron do not use goop or regular ca.
once I was sure that the surfaces are square I used t-pins to hold everthing together while the glue sets.

I needed two 12 inch long servo extentions to reach my rx. to hide the wires Icut a slit along the bottom of the fuse and slid the wires into the slit.
Last edited by antennahead; May 25, 2009 at 01:34 AM.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:59 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
once the airframe was complete, I centered the servos and installed all control rods. I went with a very moderate power system consisting of a hobby lobby 400xt, common sense 12 amp esc, 3 cell 900 mah thunder power battery. I made some small cg marks on the top of the wing and placed the plane upside down on my cg machine to determine final placement of the battery to obtain proper cg. specs for cg are 60mm to 70mm from the leading edge, I set my cg right at 65 mm from the leading edge. I bolted the motor directly to the mount with out any thought as to right or down thrust, after the maiden flight, I think a little thrust angle changes are in order.

yesterday was an exceptionaly nice day, so I took the mustang to the field,since I'm a low time pilot, I thought it was best to have my friend Miester tek do the maiden while I took some video of the flight.I could have handled the mustang, but decided since miester tek regularly flies 10 ounce foamies in 20mph winds and makes it look easy, he would be better if the plane was severly out of trim and could handle it better than I could, as it turns out, it needed a ton of up trim as shown in the video and I probably would have crashed it trying to adjust the elevator trim.......I know, less carnage for you to see, but you guys will get over it. after the maiden flight, I think these changes are in order, move the aileron servo arm ez conectors to the outer holes of the arm for more throw, and a little adjustment to thrust angle to compensate for all of the up trim.Other than that, she flies very nice! I'm going to be happy with this one

Click the yellow address at the top of the video to see it in high def.

ms composite P-51 mustang r/c airplane (5 min 23 sec)
Last edited by antennahead; May 25, 2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old May 25, 2009, 01:22 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Haveing built a MS Mini Swift.... I think that MS "build manuals" are pretty poor considering their potential customers...It wont take much to rewrite them into something fairly decent...

Freeair and the other Czech manufactures are not much better.

Mind you I never build asper manual..but...
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old May 25, 2009, 02:16 PM
Giant Squid Aviation Works
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Antennahead, Nice build guide, it gives the perfect amount of detail. This plane flys great and looks really cool in the flybys in the videos. Can't wait to see it flying again at the field!
meistertek is offline Find More Posts by meistertek
Old May 25, 2009, 07:56 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Haveing built a MS Mini Swift.... I think that MS "build manuals" are pretty poor considering their potential customers...It wont take much to rewrite them into something fairly decent...

Freeair and the other Czech manufactures are not much better.

Mind you I never build asper manual..but...

I agree, there not the best, but even the little building experience I have It was easy to understand how to put this plane together. but it is a simple plane to build, so I would say they are ok considering the few pieces that are in the kit. if it were a balsa arf, I would expect better.
Old May 25, 2009, 07:59 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meistertek
Antennahead, Nice build guide, it gives the perfect amount of detail. This plane flys great and looks really cool in the flybys in the videos. Can't wait to see it flying again at the field!

thanks for lending a hand I'll get those ailerons adjusted to see if I can get some nice rolls out her
Old Jun 09, 2009, 10:42 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
I have been flying this little mustang for a week and having a blast with it. it's a fun airplane and has instantly become my favorite plane to fly. After miestertek flew the maiden, I was going through my futaba radio programing to change the expo settings because miestertek likes alot of expo, and I don't like that much expo......and I realized he set the expo to +30 instead of -30 He flys spectrum that is oposite of futaba, so that explains his comments about it being so touchy anyway, I put the expo settings to a -10 and this thing flys like a trainer and can fly unbelievably slow, then crank it up and do some nice aerobatics. I still havent adjusted the aileron linkage for better rolls yet (having too much fun flying it, so it doesn't spend much time at the workbench ) this plane is a fantastic little airplane!!

Heres the most recent video of me flying it, just nice and slow around the field at sunset. for the landing I was a little high and decided to go around, but slowed to much and tip stalled it..........no damage at all
MS Composite Mustang P-51 H (6 min 28 sec)