HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Event Review: Waldo Pepper's Flying Circus Event, CA Bay Area

A fun fly for WWI and earlier planes with special awards and prizes! Michael Heer shares some Sunday highlights from this two day event.

Splash

Introduction

Having a Wright Flyer, a small fleet of Allied and German World War I parkflyer fighters and a large Great Planes Fokker Dr-1 converted from glow to electric; I was looking forward to participating in this two day event in the nearby Bay Area. Unfortunately, a family commitment prevented me from attending on Saturday, so I decided to go on Sunday armed with my cameras instead of planes. If early aviation is of interst to you, I hope you enjoy this special event report of the Waldo Pepper's Flying Circus Fun Fly. The focus was on era and both power and electric entries were allowed.

Hanger 9 Fokker DVII

This Hanger 9 Fokker DVII was first flown on Saturday at this event. It is owned and flown by Gus Stutsman and powered with a Laser 70 engine.

Downloads

Flair Fokker Dr-1, 20+ Years Old

This plane belongs to Dan Sciacca but was originally built by Gus Stutsman. It is currently covered in monokote, but is going to get an upgrade covering this winter and more scale details. It is a great flyer and won the figure 8 races on Saturday by a wide margin.

Downloads

Sopwith Triplane

Dick Oglesbee's 1/7th scale scratchbuilt Sopwith Triplane made from Norman Holm plans. It uses NiMH batteries for balance.

Downloads

Great Planes Fokker DVII and SE5a Parkflyers

Gus Stutsman flew these planes for early morning demonstration flights. I have had the privilege of reviewing the SE5a, and Mike Llewellyn (pda4u) reviewed the Fokker DVII when it came out. These are both great flyers. The third plane in the series is the Fokker Dr-1, and they will be joined by a fourth model later this fall with the Spad XIII from Great Planes.

Downloads

Downloads

Mystery Ship Gyro

This aircraft was completely outside of the World War and before era, but the emphasis was on the “Fun” for this Fun Fly. Dick flew his gyrocopter that started life as a kit but that Dick customized to look like the mystery ship. The effect was great, and as you can see in the video, it flies great!

Downloads

Proctor Micro-Antic

There were timed races on Saturday using proctor micro-Antic planes. Instead of a mass flight with pilots racing against each other, they ran the course one at a time and raced the stopwatch. On Sunday, Jeff Whitney flew his Micro-Antic. It was powered by a GWS "A" motor with an 800mAh Lipo battery pack using a Castle Pixie ESC. Jeff demonstrated the balloon pop for the video.

Downloads

Lanier SE5a

Here is Lanier's version of the SE5a that includes a top wing machine gun with their plane.

Downloads

Name This Plane

Name this plane! Here are your hints: It is 1/10 scale and made from plans by Peter Rake. I will post an answer in the comments section below on Sunday night, October 12th. Alas, there is no prize for a correct identification except the satisfaction of knowing that you did it. This was another plane made by Dick Oglesbee.

Downloads

The Sterling Fokker D VII

This plane was flown by Dan Sciacca, and the plane was powered with a Saito 80. The plane flew well as shown in the video below.

Downloads

Conclusion

The Southern Alameda County Radio Controllers hosted a nice, low key fun fly. The field was good, and the runway was 500+ feet of astroturf. the people were friendly, and the Barbeque was great. If you like the early model planes this was a very nice event to sit back in the shade and enjoy.

Last edited by Angela H; Oct 03, 2008 at 01:00 PM..

Discussion

Old Oct 03, 2008, 01:14 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,599 Posts
The Peter Rake design is the Russian Moska MB bis. I recently re-read the construction article in Flying Scale Models. The plans were included in that issue. It's in my to get pile of planes.

Get it here:
http://www.manzanolaser.com/id25.html
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2008, 01:22 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,531 Posts
Tim that was an amazingly quick identification. Great Job! Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2008, 11:59 PM
Foster City, CA
Joined Dec 2002
185 Posts
Nice photos and even better video

Mike, I think you took some very good photos, but I am really impressed with the video. What camera equipment did you use?

-Burt
brosenguy is offline Find More Posts by brosenguy
Old Oct 04, 2008, 06:10 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,531 Posts
I used a Sony HD HDV HandyCam HDR-HD5. Those videos were shot in regular video not High Definition. The camera has a great picture but its auto focus can be extrememly challenged in tracking a plane in flight. It was working as good as it has ever worked that day. Often however I will have the plane in the center and it will start to search and take the plane out of focus. The real problem is if I loose my subject for a second it can be very hard to recapture itas the camera leaves the infinity setting and searches for asubject in close.
I am going from this hand held back to a shoulder mounted HD camera with auto and manual focus at the end of this month. Tracking fast planes is easier for me with a manual focus option. this camera will stay as it is good for weddings and family events. Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2008, 11:52 AM
Sebastopol, CA, USA
Joined Dec 1996
543 Posts
Wow! That event looks like fun. Great pix too (I haven't viewed the videos yet, but trust that they are to your usual excellent standard.

Where did this take place? Can I get on some sort of list to be informed about the next one? If I had known, I would have come down for this one.

The intrepid Creekside Aces await your next visit.
wahrhaftig is offline Find More Posts by wahrhaftig
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2008, 01:44 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Dec 2005
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahrhaftig
Wow! That event looks like fun. Great pix too (I haven't viewed the videos yet, but trust that they are to your usual excellent standard.

Where did this take place? Can I get on some sort of list to be informed about the next one? If I had known, I would have come down for this one.

The intrepid Creekside Aces await your next visit.
Send me an email to jeff.whitney@sbcglobal.net and I will be sure to send you a flyer for next years event. We are located in Union City, CA - not too far off of 880. We have a lot of fun, and a BBQ at the field Saturday night (tri-tip, potatoe salad, green salad, chili courtesy of Jim St. John from Salinas, and cupcakes courtesy of my wife). Unfortunately, because of a nearby industrial site, it is too light to do any night flying - but the stories get pretty good.

Michael - fantastic job - thank you very much!
j_whitney is offline Find More Posts by j_whitney
Old Oct 05, 2008, 03:02 AM
Ukiah, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
2 Posts
Hi All,

Props to Jeff Whitney for putting on a great event I had a blast!! and big thanks to Michael and Ezone Magazine for putting it out there for others to see and hopefully take in the Fun at the Next event. WW1 Planes are a lot of fun to fly. Great Pics and video

See ya at the Field,

Dan Sciacca
Dan Sciacca is offline Find More Posts by Dan Sciacca
Old Oct 12, 2008, 02:17 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
I really have enjoyed this thread so much!!! WWI aircraft are so beautiful and are so majestic in the air. I think I was born in the wrong era!

Conagrats on a nice event and thanks for putting together this awesome thread.

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:50 PM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Aug 2002
254 Posts
Just curious about the DR1, has anyone ever experimented with a flat-half spin turn just like the one described in this episode of dogfights performed by Werner Voss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr0S0pTVMlU
juanmartinez is offline Find More Posts by juanmartinez
Old Oct 16, 2008, 01:44 AM
Ukiah, Ca
Joined Oct 2008
2 Posts
Hi Juan,

I have never tried it, that is a good episode of Dog Fights the next time I have the DR1 out at the field I will give it a try, it just might do it. it has crazy rudder athorty in the air. Thanks for the idea I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Sciacca is offline Find More Posts by Dan Sciacca
Old Oct 17, 2008, 09:13 PM
Joined Oct 2008
6 Posts
nice flyer..

steelhorse is offline Find More Posts by steelhorse
Old Aug 11, 2009, 01:05 AM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Dec 2005
189 Posts
And it is coming around again - September 26-27 - check the events calendar!
j_whitney is offline Find More Posts by j_whitney
Old Aug 11, 2009, 03:33 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,531 Posts
I hope to make it back this year but I don't know my schedule for that weekend. Mike Heer
RCG Plus Member