SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2013, 06:03 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,871 Posts
Question
Field Link and Talon 90

I bought a Field Link at special discount with the coupon from my Talon 90, but now that I've got it, I find that it's not compatible with the Talon 90 It gives the "incompatible ESC" error LED sequence when connected, and the CC web site doesn't show Talon 90 in the list of compatible ESCs.

Can its firmware be updated now (or is an update in the pipeline) to make it compatible with the Talon 90?
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,871 Posts
I'm becoming a bit disenchanted with CC

I emailed them with this question, and got an autoreply three days ago. But still no answer to the question.

I've now tried to update the firmware on the Field Link card, hoping that it might include details for the Talon 90 ESC, but the Castle Link PC software says it doesn't recognise what's connected (the Field Link card) and, sure enough, the Field Link isn't listed in the drop-down list that comes up.

So, it seems the Field LInk that was sold with the Talon 90 isn't compatible with it, nor is it compatible with the latest version of the CastleLink PC sofware.

Or, what am I doing wrong
Old Apr 08, 2013, 04:16 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,358 Posts
You do know that many of their customer support people were at the Toledo show? Give them a little break.....

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Apr 08, 2013, 04:28 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,871 Posts
That was quick Steve

But no, I didn't know they were at the Toledo show ... didn't even know there was a Toledo show! But surely there's someone left running the shop
Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,871 Posts
The Toledo show must be over ... CC have replied to my email

Trouble is, I'm not sure what they're saying. I think they're saying the Field Card is not compatible with the Talon 90 yet, but their engineers are working on it, and it'll be upgradeable using the CastleLink PC software when they've sorted it.

Edit: They've replied to my follow-up email to say the Field Card is not compatible with the Talon 90 yet, and they don't have a date for it, but they are working on it.
Last edited by abenn; Apr 10, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:57 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
The Toledo show must be over ... CC have replied to my email

Trouble is, I'm not sure what they're saying. I think they're saying the Field Card is not compatible with the Talon 90 yet, but their engineers are working on it, and it'll be upgradeable using the CastleLink PC software when they've sorted it.

Edit: They've replied to my follow-up email to say the Field Card is not compatible with the Talon 90 yet, and they don't have a date for it, but they are working on it.

I wonder if the new EDGE will have the same problem?

Since the Field Link is not compatible with helicopters I almost never use mine anyway.

?
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 11, 2013, 06:10 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I wonder if the new EDGE will have the same problem?

Since the Field Link is not compatible with helicopters I almost never use mine anyway.

?
The EDGE is not in their list of compatible ESCs

Both my Talon 90s are in helis. I got the field link because I thought it might be useful; why do you say it's not compatible with helis? It has reference to helis on its display (throttle type), and the other parameters are just as relevant to helis as to fixed-wing, aren't they?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined Sep 2007
31 Posts
abenn,

The Talon 90 should actually work on the Field programming card; it sounds like there was some confusion by the tech. Try connecting the Field programming card to the Castle Link program by itself. Go to Device Commands > Reset Castle Link device. This should updated the firmware on the Field programming card. Then disconnect the card from the link and try connecting the Talon 90 to the card. It should work just fine, I just tested it at my desk and it works correctly.

Thomas Porfert
Tech Support
Castle Creations
Thomas Porfert is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Porfert
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:18 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,871 Posts
Sorry, I shouldn't have posted in two places. I've just replied in my other thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1865974
Old Apr 12, 2013, 05:57 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,871 Posts
It's working now, thanks.
Old May 29, 2013, 08:07 AM
You're gonna GLUE!
Canada, QC
Joined Nov 2012
394 Posts
Just a quick note that CC has an update. I was not able to use my field card at the field. I could use it as a USB to my ESC and computer. Update is:
CURRENT CASTLE LINK VERSION: 3.55.00
RELEASE DATE: 05-28-13
Helfox is offline Find More Posts by Helfox
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined May 2009
359 Posts
Is there any non-warranty support fees yet for the talon 90 yet? I crashed my brand new tower hobbies razor today due to a loss of radio signal and one of the bullets popped off. There was no damage to the controller, but I tried to solder a wire directly to the board and that didnt go to well. I tried a motor by touching the bullet directly to the tab and I get nothing. If the crash didnt break it, I'm sure my attempt to solder it did it in. Thanks.

On a side note, The BEC is still working great, though. Worst case I have a really great BEC for my next plane. Thanks again.
hemiblas is offline Find More Posts by hemiblas
Old Jun 23, 2013, 05:43 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiblas View Post
Is there any non-warranty support fees yet for the talon 90 yet? I crashed my brand new tower hobbies razor today due to a loss of radio signal and one of the bullets popped off. There was no damage to the controller, but I tried to solder a wire directly to the board and that didnt go to well. I tried a motor by touching the bullet directly to the tab and I get nothing. If the crash didnt break it, I'm sure my attempt to solder it did it in. Thanks.

On a side note, The BEC is still working great, though. Worst case I have a really great BEC for my next plane. Thanks again.
For repairs like yours they usually charge half of list price. Itís probably best just to get an ESC with wires instead of connectors. I have seen lots of reports of problems with those Talon connectors. An Edge 75 or 100 would be a much more reliable choice.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man