SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Discussion
V shape multicopter?

I am going to build my first rc ever and want to do a muticopter.
My first idea was to just build a Y or T frame but I have been thinking of a V frame with a center bay for the controller and battery.

I would either suspend the mount from the tail or V and extend it to the CG or suspend it from the mid point of the booms at the CG .

I would prefer to hang the controllers from the V anyone think this is a bad idea?

If this has been talked about I'm sorry I'm new here and to RC.

my idea v

motor-------motor
-----\-----------/
------\----|----/
-------\-con-/
--------\--|--/
---------\-|-/
------motor
oildude is offline Find More Posts by oildude
Last edited by oildude; Feb 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:59 AM
iMultirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
869 Posts
Will work just fine.
You'll need a servo controlled yaw mechanism for the rear motor. Other than that, you wont have any issues.
I love building new original designs and I like this one, it's clean and simple.
Senator315 is offline Find More Posts by Senator315
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:27 AM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,321 Posts
the arms will be very long and the front 'junction' will be your weakpoint ... imo a T or Y is better
Blackrat is online now Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:07 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,368 Posts
Build an inverted "A", same basic layout but stronger.
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:04 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Why not build a proven design first, then take what you learn from that to make your v frame. I don't want to rain on your parade, but...... I have a huge thread, started a long time ago... build a tricopter... first timers had a hard time getting their tri's to fly even following a proven simple design.
The layout of your V frame will work, but the motor at the apex will have a lot of arm in its way, producing less thrust. Frame stiffness may also be a problem. If you are using a FC with autolevel (just about everyone now) you'll need to place it at the cg for autolevel to work correctly.
Believe me.... I would love to see you build a V...Think it would be very cool to see it flown single motor first, like one of the earliest tricopters out there by one of the rcg members dave somthing.... don't remember his last name..
If you have any questions feel free to pm me. I have a pretty good grasp on multiwii, both homebuilt controllers and some mfg boards.
what area are you located?
BobD
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oildude View Post
I am going to build my first rc ever
You should start out with a conventional design and break new ground later.
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:18 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Awesome response! Yes first RC ever! Yes I fully understand baby steps I'm just not that kind of guy! I just finished my last spare time project "solar power ice fishing house " with with 15 hours of 12v 22amp ave. 1000amp"10sec cap" peak output with 8hrs charge on a cloudy day in Minnesota in January! Anyone want to buy a used gas generator?

I was looking in to a kit at first but I have never been happy with a kit of any
kind. Also not looking to have a wooden frame. Having lots of aluminum left from building panels last summer I figure why not weld up my own frame!

Also I do see your point of the frame blocking the thrust? Could this be overcome with a longer prop? Blowing you own sail has no gain!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
You should start out with a conventional design and break new ground later.
+1

But I do think you have a neat idea, and you can always transfer the compononents from you first build to this "V" config once you know what you are doing if you are on a limited buget

Patience is a huge factor in this hobby..

Quick question, is the apex of the "v" the front or the back?? I'm guessing the front..
kenbad is offline Find More Posts by kenbad
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Yes it would be the front but both would work I think. It could fly either way if you spin the control board 180 degree .
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:52 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Go for it. May just work.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
I just did some math on the t6 aluminum weight. With a 20in. Span from rotor to rotor the full welded frame would be around 700gr with mounting pads. not sure how much electronics+ servo + wire + motors weigh. 700gr/1.6lb to heavy?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:23 PM
iMultirotors
Australia, NSW, Shellharbour
Joined Aug 2012
869 Posts
700g is pretty heavy for a 500mm tri. I just built a 930mm octo and the frame weighs 460g using 16mm aluminium tube.
What size Aluminium are you using? You need to get the weight down to at least half that or it wont be very responsive and the flight time will suffer.

Don't worry too much about the thrust being blocked. Props don't just make thrust, they also create lift by creating a low pressure above the props which sucks the props upwards.

If you have a look at the video here (pics at the end of the clip) of this quad I built, you'll see that the front prop not only goes over the frame, but also over the FC, and I don't notice any loss of thrust from it.
The other thing you'll notice is that the FC is all the way up front, far from the CG. Again, this doesn't affect it's flight in acro or in self level mode what so ever.

I say, go ahead and build it, just make it lighter.
Senator315 is offline Find More Posts by Senator315
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:55 PM
Joined Nov 2008
118 Posts
Reminds me of this
giek2000 is offline Find More Posts by giek2000
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Nice but it still has a tail!

If I use 1/8x3/4 90 and 1in strap welded 4in out from the apex, double box the apex I could cut the weight closer to 500gr. I may have to have tension wire to reduce booms twisting.?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:15 AM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oildude View Post
Yes it would be the front but both would work I think. It could fly either way if you spin the control board 180 degree .
so how would you deal with the reversed motor assigments??

The kk2 tri layouts expect two motors in the front and one in the back,

I get turning the kk2 around but it still uses a specific layout,

typical front
m1 m2
x x
x x
x x
x x
x
m3
your front

M1 and m2 effect roll, period, and m1m2 and m3 effect pitch

you can't just turn the KK2 180 deg, it espects a specific motor layout relative to the board, especially on a tri

leave front of the kk2 facing the m1 m2 motors as they would be on a standard tri and reverse pitch and roll on your tx...because you are just flying a tri backwards witch cam be done and from what I have read elsewhere actually carves turns better e believe someone else here prefers to fly tri's backwards
kenbad is offline Find More Posts by kenbad