SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:23 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
Discussion
Question about covering

I am building a larger airplane (Travel Air 6000 biplane) with a 10' wingspan. It will be static only so I wont have to be as worried about weight, etc. My question relates to the covering. I need a cheap covering method. I have been contemplating cellophane from the Dollar Store and held down by elmers glue.

This is not going to be a scale masterpiece, only used for a discussion about early aviators. Does anyone have any suggestions that they've used successfully in the past?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:25 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,160 Posts
Something like cellophane could be used. May some Stix-it or Balsa-rite could be used for an adhesive???? then iron on the cellophane???? I have no clue the melting point of cellophane.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:37 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
That's what I was thinking too. In review, Im going scale back the span back to 60". I will have to try some experiments with the cellophane and post the results. Thanks for the response.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:11 AM
United States, NJ, Edgewater
Joined Feb 2012
200 Posts
I have been using cellophane gift wrap from the dollar tree to cover DTF planes. It comes in clear, red and green tints and is transparent. I spray 3M-77 on the cellophane, let it dry for about a minute and then stretch it across the foam. Once tacked on, I use my iron to remove the wrinkles. It shrinks quite a bit.

Yesterday I tried it on balsa tail fins and it worked well also. I will be trying it to cover balsa built up wings next. How did it work out for you ?
vinnieg is offline Find More Posts by vinnieg
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:37 PM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
I havent tried it yet.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:10 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
376 Posts
Make sure you test it with your iron before you install the stuff. Its actuall colored on one side. If you get the color side up, you will melt off the color. So keep the color down. You can also test it by using airplane fuel, or carburator cleaner to rub off the color. The stuff shrinks great at a fairly low temp. I use 3m77 and spray it on the framwork then tack down the covering, and heat shrink it. Another alternative is laminating film. It doesnt come in colors, but I have sprayed the backside of it with rc car paint with great results.
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:16 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,319 Posts
cool, that makes sense. I appreciate the advice,
Dan