HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 10:33 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,040 Posts
And so it begins. Good luck on the build!

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old May 03, 2012, 05:46 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,005 Posts
I know Swift personally. He's the man on this sort of thing. It will get done....and done well! Can't wait to see it!
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old May 03, 2012, 11:42 AM
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined Feb 2006
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
And so it begins. Good luck on the build!

Dave
That's the special ingredient I needed....LUCK! Thanks, boater_dave! As for you, Scott, thanks for the additional pressure. I suppose I should finish it this year?
Swift16 is offline Find More Posts by Swift16
Old May 04, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift16 View Post
That's the special ingredient I needed....LUCK! Thanks, boater_dave! As for you, Scott, thanks for the additional pressure. I suppose I should finish it this year?
No need. That's why its called a "hobby"! Work on it when you want to. We all have enough pressure/deadlines with our non-hobby lives.

HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old May 05, 2012, 10:47 AM
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined Feb 2006
349 Posts
Progress?

I did some testing of the motors connected to the driveshafts, finding the RPMs high but also the motor temperatures were too high in my opinion. I'm working on a plan to mount the big gears from the helicopter rotors on the driveshafts and using the gears already on the motors to drive them. I'll test the setup sometime later this week since I'm having way too much fun with my RotorConcept HPQ1 quadcopter I bought at Toledo!
Old May 07, 2012, 11:09 AM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Great thread and thanks for sharing and taking the effort to do so.

Seems like acquiring slow speed operation is difficult in RC conversions. Not a problem I guess if all you like to do is zip around the pond but having the props being able to barely tick over is desirable in a scale boat.

Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 07:49 PM
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined Feb 2006
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harquebus View Post
Great thread and thanks for sharing and taking the effort to do so.

Seems like acquiring slow speed operation is difficult in RC conversions. Not a problem I guess if all you like to do is zip around the pond but having the props being able to barely tick over is desirable in a scale boat.

You're right, of course. However, many in the Indianapolis Admirals RC Boat Club will tell you that I seldom produce underpowered boats. In fact my Dumas triple cockpit runabout with a Traxxas Verlineon motor and ESC must be run in "training" mode, or 50% setting on the ESC, to maintain any semblance of scale speed. At full throttle on a 2S LiPo in "normal" mode, it's uncontrollable at full throttle! On the plus side, a 5000mah LiPo will only require 3800Mah charge to bring it up to full after a 45 minute session in the pond! On a 35mm Roebsh (sp?) three blade prop. It creeps along very nicely at bare steerageway....forward and reverse! I drift off topic.....SORRY!
Old May 07, 2012, 07:57 PM
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined Feb 2006
349 Posts
Original model from 1970 or so...

This is the kit I built of the Swift when Monogram produced it. It's somewhat travel weary as well as 40+ years old.

John
Old May 10, 2012, 01:36 PM
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined Feb 2006
349 Posts
Change Order

Having determined that the tiny coaxial helicopter motors overheat in direct drive with the screws, I am working now to reuse the large bull gears from the helicopter's rotor gear reduction to both slow the props and make the motors work less hard. I think I can mount them (finally!) and will need to build the motor mounts to align the pinion gear from each motor to its shaft. The white goop where the driveshaft stuffing tubes enter the hull is epoxy & microballoons. Hull doesn't leak in water with weight added to lower it to water line. Top of stuffing tubes is above water line and distance forward of the driveshaft ends should make access under deck house structure for maintenance easy.....relatively.

Yes, the gears clear the hull bilge by at least 1/16 inch.

John
Last edited by Swift16; May 10, 2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added a skosh more verbal detail.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined Feb 2006
349 Posts
Progress....sort of........

OK, I roughed in the below-the-waterline hull exterior paint on the hull so I don't have to mess around with the rudders, props and shafts to paint this thing after I build the motor mounts and install them. I am afraid I'll have to mount the gears on the shafts permanently and so if I only get to install them once, it will be a one time thing and I'll work on new processes for cleaning out the stuffing tubes and lubricating them after each time the model is run.
Used my airbrush for the first time in four years! Ugh. Now I remember why I seldom use it....it's a pain to properly clean when done.
Next step: motor mounts and driveshaft gears.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:44 AM
Fast boats
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
That looks awesome... Nice job mate
Vn_304 is offline Find More Posts by Vn_304
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:55 PM
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined Feb 2006
349 Posts
Resuming Work

Sorry about the delay, folks. Had a rash of family events and one household event requiring attention. They're under control now and I'll resume my Swift conversion.

I did manage to attach the gears to the drive shafts. There is some degree of off-plane wobble which I'm not sure the tiny spur gears can handle. We'll see this week.
John
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:49 AM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
You can delay as much as you want but you have to give us closure... eventually. Like we have any say or can make demands on your own thread. No apologies are warranted.

There's an abundance of build threads in cyberspace such as this that are left dangling forever because the thread died, OP lost interest or what have you. I just look to the info presented as an inspiration and a guide mainly because I don't know what I'm doing.

I have a plastic model boat with a planing hull 13 inches long, 2.5 in wide by roughly 1.5 in deep and am wanting to power it with twin motors so am looking to see how your endeavor turns out. Much thanks.

Found a video example here but do not desire even half the operating features crammed in there:
Missile attack boat in RC with turret action (2 min 41 sec)

Definitely want more speed!
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:30 PM
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined Feb 2006
349 Posts
Surprise!

I tested my quick-built motor mounts today after all the adhesives firmed up and found that the mounts actually allow a crude mesh between the spur gears on the motor and the nylon bull gears on the boat's drive shafts! The motor shafts are different lengths due to their former life as rotor spinners on an old E-Flite coaxial helicopter.

Anywho, although it makes more noise than my old coffee bean grinder, the huge gear reduction ratio of the combination spur/bull gear and the incredible rpm of the motors create a really good drive to the props! Lots of torque apparent, too, and the ampere draw is way down evidenced by the much cooler running motors. (It is tough to call them "cool runners" since we're enjoying a near 90 degree day here in Indiana today!)

I ran the combo a few times for 30 seconds at a time just to convince myself that this Rube Goldberg actually worked. It didn't take much out of the 1S 138mah LiPo, either. I'll be using a "huge" 25C 150mah 1S LiPo to run the boat.

Next, I'll firm up the ugly mounts with additional bracing (don't worry, it is incredibly light even with the battery installed!!!). Then off to the pond or my Jacuzzi tub for afloat tests before I close up things. I will also splice an on/off switch between the battery and the receiver/ESC device as well as a charging lead, too. More later!

Oh yes, the props turn the proper direction, too. (Looking at the boat from astern: starboard screw - clockwise, port screw - counterclockwise.)

John
Last edited by Swift16; Jun 09, 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Add text