SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:14 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,636 Posts
Your going to need the programmer for that speed control. It's hard enough to program with the card.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
So guys, I've got the YEP 150A with 5A 5V SBEC, do you guys recommend I get a separate BEC as well? (the 150A is overkill I know, but in Sydney you need the headroom!)
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:51 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,636 Posts
The yep 150a has a 6A sbec or at least the Himodel version does.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:56 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Your going to need the programmer for that speed control. It's hard enough to program with the card.
Got it Thanks
Still going to be a lot of questions (ie what the H is free wheeling). I will have to search for a thread on this ESC.

Kerry
Helitime is offline Find More Posts by Helitime
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:49 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,636 Posts
For a plane the speed control can be programmed to brake the prop. On a helicopter you want free wheel.

Here is a link to the manual. http://www.himodel.com/en/rc_manuals_url.php?id=351
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Quote:
The yep 150a has a 6A sbec or at least the Himodel version does.
So you agree I don't really need a separate BEC?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:25 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,636 Posts
I have mine on my logo. I must say I have not flown it yet, but I started with a CC ice 100a and it's bec failed right away. I run futaba and it takes a lot more of a power hit than spektrum.

I hooked up my Himodel 150a and what ever I throw at it has not reset once. This is with align 615 servos that are expose to pull more amps than the old 610's. If it really has a 6 amp sbec, that is what align supplies with the 600pro. So I don't see why it won't work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:00 PM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Quote:
For a plane the speed control can be programmed to brake the prop. On a helicopter you want free wheel.

Here is a link to the manual. http://www.himodel.com/en/rc_manuals_url.php?id=351
Thanks for the link

I have about a doz. planes, most with the brake set "on" (better glide etc. etc.)
This has a brake setting of "off", but also has the freewheeling. Is there a difference??

Some stuff, all but the packs I got today.
Name: SANY0662.jpg
Views: 44
Size: 266.6 KB
Description:

Another question. These are the blades I received with the 700 V2. They do not say "FBL". I thought most FBL blades where clearly marked as such.
Can anyone confirm FBL or not??
Name: SANY0663.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 178.7 KB
Description:

Thanks
Kerry
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:47 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,636 Posts
I didn't realize there was both free wheel and off. In this case I would say off. free wheel now sounds like the control may keep some power to the leads. Now your making me re program mine lol!

Glad to see you got the program card! I would bet the blades are not different just because fb blades can be used on a fbl system.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:23 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Quote:
I didn't realize there was both free wheel and off. In this case I would say off. free wheel now sounds like the control may keep some power to the leads. Now your making me re program mine lol!

Glad to see you got the program card! I would bet the blades are not different just because fb blades can be used on a fbl system.

Still be nice to know. I believe FBL blades are weighted a little differently.

I haven't done a search on the ESC yet but there must be something about it under one name or another.

Kerry
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:16 AM
Joined Dec 2011
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
So you agree I don't really need a separate BEC?
It's risky not to get a separate BEC. I just had receiver failure on a 550 which for reasons still being investigated went full pitch out of control and ended up in a tree. One of the most probable reasons is ESC (Hobbywing Funfly 80A, only 3A BEC), so installing separate BEC now on all my big FBL helis with digital servos (except if it comes in combo form). Have not calculated or measured current drawn but most helis this size have BECS of capacity 7-15A installed. Rather be safe than sorry, as I have learned my lesson the hard way. Was lucky only heli damaged, and no one was hurt
deonjams is offline Find More Posts by deonjams
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:47 AM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Thing is, your BEC could fail just as much as an ESC (and lead to much the same result). 3A for a 550 is borderline to start with (most std servos draw about 0.6A) so having that fail was not that big a surprise. The YEP I got has a 6A BEC so... I'm overkilling on both ends: the ESC and the BEC.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:12 AM
Pickering Ontario CANADA
Joined May 2010
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
Thing is, your BEC could fail just as much as an ESC (and lead to much the same result). 3A for a 550 is borderline to start with (most std servos draw about 0.6A) so having that fail was not that big a surprise. The YEP I got has a 6A BEC so... I'm overkilling on both ends: the ESC and the BEC.
I use seperate BEC on anything of value. The BEC could fail the same as the BEC in the ESC but the ESC could fail and take the BEC with it also. Thus, safer with a seperate BEC in my opinion.

Just thinking aloud here.
Kerry

Also, I use a seperate receiver pack on the larger stuff (planes and helis).
Last edited by Helitime; Feb 01, 2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Also
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
I've done some current draw tests and the four servos are only pulling about three amps at the most, so as I thought 6A BEC is already overkill. I think I'll stay with the YEP as is.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:18 AM
Umm what just flew off my ship
Joined Jan 2010
1,016 Posts
how do you like that YEP ???
GhostFlyer1 is offline Find More Posts by GhostFlyer1