HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2010, 01:44 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,449 Posts
well what can i say, this glider is terrific

got out to the field and there were thermals going through, waited for the wind to die and launched it, this time being ready for it i took of straight ahead and straight into a thermal that rocked the wings quiet a bit,

i continued to power up to about 150' then cut the motor, the Pro rocked about a bit more and as i turned her into a circle it just started to go up! and up and up!, now i have been flying the Radian at about the 500' mark and this was heaps higher and getting hard for my eyes to see, we thought about the 700' mark, anyway, so i applied the flaps and dropped down a few hundred feet, i did a downwind section then turned back into the breeze getting lower all the time

i bought it down to about 80-100' and flew by myself, heading back into the breeze, well the thermals must of been good over this field as i was soon circling and going up at a great rate of knots this time i went up till it was a dot for me, around the 900-1000' mark we reckon and i had a 79 year old buddy, who has flown gliders all his life watching with me

he loved the Pro and said all he could see it needed was about 1oz of lead for better penetration

again i had to bring it down as i was having real trouble seeing it and seemed like i was just flying on instinct, just like on the sim, it flew down really quick and for a while there i just wasn't sure what way the Pro was, so when i finally got my self settled i put the flaps down again and this time bought her in and landed as the wind was starting to get up again, this time having swung from the nth east to the south west

after landing the wind just got stronger and stronger, making the walk back to the car 50' away a task on it's own with the wind trying to take the Pro from my hand we had been real lucky to catch that drop out, while the wind swings

so second flight over and time to answer a few queries:

the pro did seem a little slower on the up, but i did hit a thermal straight away which required me to apply near full throttle to get up, still unsure on this question

as Radian owners would know if you open the Radian full throttle on launch it will loop back at ya, with my Radian i have to put down in as i power on and up, well the Pro showed none of these traits today, it just went straight up

again i had trouble adjusting to this glider as it doesn't turn like the Radian, you really have to fly the Pro, i'm getting more used to it all the time and i'm sure soon i'll be wondering what i was talking about

well thats about it for now, all i can say is i really enjoyed my flight this afternoon and am in love with my new glider, always wanted a "Pro"

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2010, 03:10 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpm View Post
After missing the courier yesterday (thurs 18th) and a very quick drive to the toll priority express depot late evening to pick it up, I excitedly ripped the boxes apart, and am now the owner of a bnf pro with AR600. I'm using a DSX9 (9303, 9503) tx, so at about 8.45pm sat down to start programming it. I thought I'd attempt using HH's guide with the DX7 first, and after reversing some servos, started to get somewhere.................then a storm hit, the power went out, and programming by candlelight was no success...............(insert various swear words here)
Gave up, went to bed in the dark, went to work this morning, and now I'm back at it, so far have reflex, camber and crow working, but needs a bit more fine tuning. The mix numbers are different to the DX7, as the DSX9's first 2 mixers are multi point. I'll keep going, and hopefully fly it tomorrow morning........
Regards, Glenn

(ps..same post as original thread)
LOL i was going to say,my meds are working cause im sure i just Read this ...lmao...
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2010, 03:16 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,569 Posts
good to hear Chuck,cant wait too get mine.what size batt were ya using? recommended 1300Mah?
With those thermals ,bouts how long were ya up?
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:08 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
46 Posts
Hi Chuck, great to hear glowing reports...Just got mine this arvo, hopefully will fly this weekend. I noticed that the prop/spinner seems to move back and forward on the prop shaft a couple of mm. Its the long hex nut/reducer that joins the spinner to the motor shaft that has the play. wondering if i should tighten the grub screw that holds it on? is yours the same?
herostratus is offline Find More Posts by herostratus
Old Nov 19, 2010, 07:22 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herostratus View Post
Hi Chuck, great to hear glowing reports...Just got mine this arvo, hopefully will fly this weekend. I noticed that the prop/spinner seems to move back and forward on the prop shaft a couple of mm. Its the long hex nut/reducer that joins the spinner to the motor shaft that has the play. wondering if i should tighten the grub screw that holds it on? is yours the same?
mine moves a fraction nothing i'd worry about at this point in time, but i will keep an eye on it now

Eastcoast, i use the Turnigy 1300 30-40C battery it weighs 125.1g

cheers chuck
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:36 AM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
758 Posts
The Radian Pro will begin shipping from Horizon Hobby to US dealers and consumers today!!

Enjoy.

Matt Andren
Parkzone/Hobbyzone Product Development
Horizon Hobby
Mattfly is online now Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Mattfly; Nov 19, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:49 AM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly View Post
The Radian Pro will begin shipping from Horizon Hobby to dealers and consumers today!!

Enjoy.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Very nice. My Hobby store is getting tired of me calling every day
ajafar is offline Find More Posts by ajafar
Old Nov 19, 2010, 04:09 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,100 Posts
Quote:
The Radian Pro will begin shipping from Horizon Hobby to US dealers and consumers today!!

Enjoy.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
And you sir have just made my day
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rocket Crash
Old Nov 19, 2010, 04:10 PM
Joined Aug 2006
20 Posts
Quote:

Enjoy.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Placed my order about two hours ago! Cant wait!
feetball is offline Find More Posts by feetball
Old Nov 20, 2010, 02:36 PM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Quote:

Enjoy.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
So when are we likely to see it in the UK?
SmartMartY is offline Find More Posts by SmartMartY
Old Nov 20, 2010, 03:38 PM
Western Europe 52.7 N 8.9 W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMartY View Post
So when are we likely to see it in the UK?
SMC in the UK still have it as due in stock 24th Nov 2010 .....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Nov 20, 2010, 08:50 PM
gpm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
13 Posts
Maiden!!

Took the pro out for its maiden flight this morning, its my first glider so the thumbs were a bit shaky for a while. Anyway, no problems, hardly any trim required at all.

Might just be me, but when banking on ailerons, it often needed a bit of rudder to help it into the turn.

After the first flight I programmed the esc for full brake, as the prop was windmilling most of the time.

I fitted my emeter rdu, and measured the following:
Launch current: 19.6A, 225watts,
Cruise (full throttle): 13A, 150watts,
using a Rhino 1850mah battery weighing 168g.

Had 4 flights all up before the sun got too hot, cruised around at about 650ft mostly, longest flight was 20min, used 760ma, battery was cold.

It liked coming down fast, (too slow and the wings just rocked around) then used crow to stop it pretty well wherever I wanted on the strip.
Very pleased!!!!
gpm is offline Find More Posts by gpm
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:27 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpm View Post
Took the pro out for it’s maiden flight this morning, it’s my first glider so the thumbs were a bit shaky for a while. Anyway, no problems, hardly any trim required at all.

Might just be me, but when banking on ailerons, it often needed a bit of rudder to help it into the turn.

After the first flight I programmed the esc for full brake, as the prop was windmilling most of the time.

I fitted my emeter rdu, and measured the following:
Launch current: 19.6A, 225watts,
Cruise (full throttle): 13A, 150watts,
using a Rhino 1850mah battery weighing 168g.

Had 4 flights all up before the sun got too hot, cruised around at about 650ft mostly, longest flight was 20min, used 760ma, battery was cold.

It liked coming down fast, (too slow and the wings just rocked around) then used crow to stop it pretty well wherever I wanted on the strip.
Very pleased!!!!
great glider isn't it i love mine too

I can see there is going to be heaps of very happy pilots out there, once they get theirs into the air

i notice that MF here in Australia has nearly sold out of the first shipment of PnP

cheers chuck
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:30 PM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Well the buy it now button has once again defeated me and I've pre ordered the pnp Pro from rcpitstop.co.uk The site states they will be due early December, but I'm in no rush as it's a prezzie from my missus (she doesn't know yet). I'll be using my DX6i, and I may risk one of those HZ orange Rx's initially, buy I have a spare AR500 (or an AR6200 out of my 109) if need be. So I'd best start looking at the different setting options eh? Roll on Christmas day
SmartMartY is offline Find More Posts by SmartMartY
Old Nov 21, 2010, 03:31 PM
pǝʇɹǝʌuı
Arizona
Joined Oct 2009
139 Posts
I think I'm going to let you guys do the field testing on these for about 3-4 months before I consider upgrading from the original. I want to see how well the motor, airframe, and prop adapter holds up to everyday flying. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a winner, but I really want to see if any issues arise after some time of use and how ParkZone will address them as the time comes. I've had quite a few planes from ParkZone, and I really wish I would have waited on most of those purchases- some of the planes have been great, but others have been pretty bad (i.e. Messerschmidt, first version of Micro Sukhoi). The original Radian had some issues that were eventually corrected, and hopefully we won't see a repeat with this release. So fly those Pros boys, and put some real usage on that thing so we can really see how it holds up. We should have a pretty good idea in about 2-3 months I think.
serasbach is offline Find More Posts by serasbach