SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Potter View Post
Well I suppose if it's that good I should start on it first BE .
Geoff, My opinion concerned the ED Pep. I've never actually handled a ZA92 like yours. I have a couple of Peps, they're great little engines, and your ZA92 was probably made by the same people on the same tools!
In any case, your engine will be what you make it...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 04:07 AM
Joined Sep 2011
119 Posts
Yes that is true BE , I'm happy at this stage with the comp until I dismantle it but with the lug damage who knows what the previous owners have or have not done . Did they have a nut or a spinner nut ,and mine has no markings , is that correct ? I don't tend to get to involved with authenticity to much ,but maybe a pic of your engine would help with the needle , thimble and ratchet . I'm amazed at the length of the comp screw .
Geoff Potter is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Potter
Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,684 Posts
Geoff, I don't possess a ZA92. The best I can do is Warring's Aeromodeller engine test. This is the first version of the engine. I think (but only think) that a later version had revised (straight edged) mounting lugs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
So, what did I purchase...?....this crazy deed will eventually be revealed...stay tuned..!
Well...as promised, here it is....I simply couldn't resist......an original Bambi has always been on my wish list...

It's still too early to give a comment on its condition, as I have yet to loosen it up. It is dead stuck, which is usually a good sign (i.e. most likely no "expert" has practised any tricks on this fragile piece...but who knows...?)

Unlike my normal behavior, this time I payed $$$, which has to be "justified" by selling a few engines. I don't mind reducing my "collection", as long as the remains gets more interesting...which in my case means "closer to my heart", as this is the way I collect engines....

When sorted out, I intend to run the Bambi, and also fly it, eventually....

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
Well...as promised, here it is....I simply couldn't resist......an original Bambi has always been on my wish list...

It's still too early to give a comment on its condition, as I have yet to loosen it up. It is dead stuck, which is usually a good sign (i.e. most likely no "expert" has practised any tricks on this fragile piece...but who knows...?)

Unlike my normal behavior, this time I payed $$$, which has to be "justified" by selling a few engines. I don't mind reducing my "collection", as long as the remains gets more interesting...which in my case means "closer to my heart", as this is the way I collect engines....

When sorted out, I intend to run the Bambi, and also fly it, eventually....

I do have both the original and the Dave Banks version and did bench test both and they do run very well, have some notes on that test but do not have these with me here out-of-house. Both are rather difficult to find and finding a good original one is not obvious, I do get asked regularly to sell mine but that is a no-no. I adore tiny diesels and do have a few. Only problem is starting because of the low inertia of these small propellors so do use the largest possible one. Not sure if I do have an original aluminium prop ? Before Ronald Valentine started making his little jewels these were the absolute smallest diesels on the market.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM
Joined Sep 2008
3,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
The Pep was made for ED by another local firm (Bardsley's in Brentford). When ED stopped making the Pep, Bardsley's changed their name to DeZalux developments (or something like that!) and used the Pep crankcase to produce their own engine, which was the ZA 92
Thanks for this interesting info, Brian...
Of course I did know of the Pep, but the DeZalux story was merely a dizzy whitish spot on my map.....
Most of the British model engines were marketed here in Sweden, though if the "ZA" was, this must have flown under my radar. AFAIK, none of our main importers did sell these engines...

Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM
United Kingdom, England, Royal Leamington Spa
Joined Sep 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Maybe you are referring to this one.
Thank you for posting those pictures of Frog metal fuselage planes; they reminded me that in the 1950's, when I was probably about 8 or 9 years old I bought one of those models from a fantastic model shop in Turnham Green Chiswick London. I think mine was the mid-wing model. I have no memories of how the model flew.
Neil Ives is offline Find More Posts by Neil Ives
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,691 Posts
I guess some one really wanted this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Model-Eng...:B:WNA:CA:3160

Model-Engine-Diesel-R250-Oliver-NEW
Item Ended
Item condition:
New
Ended:
23 Nov, 2014 20:40:15 AEDST
Winning bid:
AU $790.00
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,024 Posts
Quote:
...which has to be "justified" by selling a few engines....
Next to go:
This unrun & boxed 5 cc ED "Viking" marine engine, based on the well known "Miles" diesel.
Serial No is 72/8 (dare I guess that the "72" indicates the year of manufacture...?)

Before I put it on auction, I thought I'd ask if any of you gents would be interested..?
Would the region of US$ 130 / EUR 115 + postage be asking too much...?
In the case of interest, please PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
119 Posts
Thank you BE , that will do fine . Where would one be without the people on here and their knowledge . Sabre 250 also has an engine I can borrow if needed , wonderful people ! John , that's what one has to pay if one wants the BEST and they are , regardless of what has gone before or after .
Geoff Potter is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Potter
Old Today, 02:51 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,684 Posts
Here's something that must be about as rare as they come...
It's a marine Taifun Blizzard (super engine), mounted complete with marine drive system and screw... Looks superb to me... Link:
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Ancien-moteur...E:B:SS:FR:3160
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 04:56 AM
Joined Sep 2008
3,024 Posts
Yeah...that's the Taifun "Delphin" boat drive....very neat..!
Webra made a similar product (below), but in my eyes the "Delphin" is definitely more elegant.
It's not easily spotted, but the Taifun Delphin is a geared unit. 3:2 AFAIK.....

Old Today, 06:57 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Here's something that must be about as rare as they come...
It's a marine Taifun Blizzard (super engine), mounted complete with marine drive system and screw... Looks superb to me... Link:
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Ancien-moteur...E:B:SS:FR:3160
I like the Franglais: clickez and zoomez!
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj